F-16XL

Started by DogfighterZen, May 18, 2016, 06:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

So, i can't help it, it's been in the box for too long, one of my Holy Grail kits... I've pulled out one of my 2 Monogram 1/72 F-16XL kits from the stash... Don't have a set plan for it yet, but i've been drawing a bit to see what comes out. Twin tails, DSI intake, CFTs... I've also been thinking of canards...
Anyway, there's a lot of stuff one can do to it, so it'll take some planning as i still have 4 more, counting the 2 1/72 conversion sets from Lonestar Resin Parts and the beautiful 1/48 Skunkworks kit. Guess i'll probably never build one OOB.  ;D

Now, just out of curiosity... i've read somewhere that this kit didn't have the longer fuselage as it was based on the normal Monogram 1/72 F-16 kit's molds, so i hadn't compared the XL with a the more recent Revell 1/72 Viper and it seems that the length is there but the bottom aft section does not have the same curvature as the real one. I still think it's pretty good for 1983, just 4 years younger than i am. :thumbsup:

With 6 or 7 models still waiting to get finished, it's gonna take a while to finish this, but i just can't help it... :wub:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

comrade harps

Plenty of possibilities there. I see a radically advance cranked viper in the offing.  :drink:
Whatever.

perttime

Tails on the pods at the wing cranks? Canards on the nose?

DogfighterZen

Quote from: perttime on May 18, 2016, 07:14:11 AM
Tails on the pods at the wing cranks? Canards on the nose?

:thumbsup:
Tails on the pods, in study.
If used, canards will be from a Italeri SU-27, probably placed where the Lerx begins. Still, a lot of possibilities in study.

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

leptiprince

Mine poject  F-16 XL II

McColm

V/STOL
Could use the Yak-38 or F-35B etch parts.

DogfighterZen

Oh man... :wub: That's already looking great!! Can't wait to see that finished! :thumbsup:
I already bought one of those and the twin seat version too. You shared that link before and i'm so very grateful! :bow:

Quote from: McColm on May 18, 2016, 12:10:53 PM
V/STOL
Could use the Yak-38 or F-35B etch parts.

Hadn't thought of that... thanks! :thumbsup: That is a very good idea, will be considered although i'd have to buy the sets, more inclined to the F-35's set though.
Ok, got home and down to the cave to start testing ideas, this is one possible configuration, still a few more to test as i'm not sure if the canards would hamper missile deployment, probably not if they had ejector type launchers, but still, it's whif world so it's possible... ;D

If i don't go V/STOL as McColm's suggesting, i'll probably use either the F-35 or the F-22's nozzle.

JayBee

Quote from: leptiprince on May 18, 2016, 10:36:50 AM
Mine poject  F-16 XL II

Oh by all the Gods someone has stolen my idea, F-16 XLI Sufa.  :blink:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on May 18, 2016, 01:02:31 PM

Oh by all the Gods someone has stolen my idea, F-16 XLI Sufa.  :blink:

Your not the only one to have that idea, I simply don't have an F-16XL to work with  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Jesse220

Could use some forward swept wings like the SU-47

Tophe

I love the twin-fin 16XL, thanks! :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

perttime

Quote from: DogfighterZen on May 18, 2016, 12:26:39 PM... this is one possible configuration, ...
IMO, those tails look a bit too massive. Maybe the canards too. Got other donor parts?

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Jesse220 on May 18, 2016, 06:32:20 PM
Could use some forward swept wings like the SU-47
Hum, i'm not a very big fan of FSW designs although i like a few, but for me, the XL is not the kit to use for that, rather use a normal F-16 kit. And besides, leptiprince already did that, he posted a few pics in the his F-35E thread. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Tophe on May 18, 2016, 08:18:58 PM
I love the twin-fin 16XL, thanks! :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:

Thanks, Tophe. :thumbsup: This layout is similar to the Rockwell Hi-Mat tested by Nasa. You know i like dogfighters... :wacko:

Quote from: DogfighterZen on May 18, 2016, 12:26:39 PM... this is one possible configuration, ...
IMO, those tails look a bit too massive. Maybe the canards too. Got other donor parts?
[/quote]

Well i agree with the tails, those were just to get the idea, but i'll probably use F-16 tails without the base. The canards would be a bit smaller but not much, i like them big. But again, this is just one layout, still wanna look at it in a few more.

jsport