RAM F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48 - Finished - Pic's pg.2

Started by Old Wombat, May 16, 2016, 07:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Wings & tail-planes are on!

(Strangely, there have been unexplained "Brrrrvvvmmm!" & "Dakka!-Dakka!-Dakka!-Dakka!" noises occurring around the house when no-one else is home. :o )

nighthunter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 02, 2016, 07:32:45 PM
Wings & tail-planes are on!

(Strangely, there have been unexplained "Brrrrvvvmmm!" & "Dakka!-Dakka!-Dakka!-Dakka!" noises occurring around the house when no-one else is home. :o )
Been guilty of that with my build, lol
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

The embarrassing one is when the dog and cat look at you, then look at each other and then both raise their eyes to the heavens  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Heard the same type of noises for a while, down in my cave... but lately it's been more like "Brrrt" and "Whooshh"...  ;D
Very nice work, keep it coming! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 03, 2016, 01:01:52 AM
The embarrassing one is when the dog and cat look at you, then look at each other and then both raise their eyes to the heavens  ;D

They do that anyway! :unsure:

nighthunter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 03, 2016, 09:11:55 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 03, 2016, 01:01:52 AM

They do that anyway! :unsure:
Both my cats do that, along with my wife, but she shakes her head as well. :P
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Captain Canada

Wow...super job on this one ! Excellent detail.

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Thanks, Cap! :thumbsup:

Was hoping to be able to put a few pic's of the scheme up today (It looked great!) but the gloss coat rippled one of the colours - just one, despite all of them being LifeColor - & the Tamiya blue on the painted roundels ran.

So, I'm trying to make it look at least marginally acceptable before I do the pic's. :(

Old Wombat

OK, paint work is crap but I'm not re-doing it (there seems to be a LifeColor vs Tamiya/Testors rattle can issue).

Decals are on awaiting 2nd gloss coat.

Next is an attempt at pin-washing panel lines & some weathering/wear-&-tear.

:-\

Old Wombat

Right! That does it! After this build the bleedin' panel lines can look after themselves!! :banghead:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 08, 2016, 07:27:41 AM
Right! That does it! After this build the bleedin' panel lines can look after themselves!! :banghead:

Don't blame you. In 1/72 my attitude is that you wouldn't be able to see them anyway from 72 foot away
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Photo's tomorrow later today, after I've had some sleep! :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Well, here it is:

Only 912 (MS_?) & 913 (MV_?) Squadrons flew the F6F-3 Hellcat during WW2, operating from the "light fleet" carrier HMAS Adelaide. In May, 1944, HMAS Adelaide joined the US carriers USS Essex, USS Wasp and USS San Jacinto in TG 12.1 to strike Marcus Island on 19 to 20 May 1944 and Wake on 23 May 1944. Then travelled south with them to link up with TF 58 to support the occupation of the Marianas on 12 June to 10 August - where Royal Australian Marines were landing alongside US Marines for the first time. During the engagements of the Battle of the Philippine Sea, on 19th of June, 1944, HMAS Adelaide was the only ship of Task Group 58.2 hit by a Japanese dive bomber, the plane making a kamikaze attack after being struck by anti-aircraft gunfire. Unfortunately the entirety of 912 Sqn was on deck refuelling & re-arming when the plane struck, the squadron taking severe casualties. Although not seriously damaged, HMAS Adelaide was unable to fly aircraft, she returned immediately to Australia for repairs. Meanwhile 913 Sqn, which had taken off to combat the air attack, were directed to land aboard USS Lexington of TF 58.3 but did not take further part in the battle.

After the Battle of the Philippine Sea 913 Sqn were transferred to USS Wasp, which diverted south, & were flown off to New Britain, where they assisted in the final, bloody capture of Rabaul. 913 Sqn, then, re-embarked aboard HMAS Adelaide in mid-October as she sailed north-west to partake in the wholly Australian operation to take northern Borneo. The operation was designed to protect the south-western flank of the Leyte landings & to draw out at least some of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Landing simultaneously with the US Leyte operation on the 20th of October, 1944, in Labuk Bay 2Div. RAM encountered little effective resistance, although one of their secondary landings, at Sandakan, confirmed intelligence reports of some of the worst atrocities in the Asia-Pacific region. At sea the predominantly RAN fleet engaged aircraft & surface elements of Admiral Nishimura's Southern Force, sinking several destroyers & two cruisers, & claiming 40 aircraft destroyed.

Depicted is MV_K, piloted by Sgt Henry Dewhurst of 913 Sqn, as it appeared whilst flying from the Australian Army Air Service airfield at Merai on New Britain.

Hope she meets with your approval!

Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Certainly does.  I approve this model. :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..