Crescent Winged Lightning

Started by Captain Canada, February 26, 2016, 04:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Another one who needs a final scheme/ role. But started hacking plastic last night !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Maybe a British Satellite killer? Two large AAMs under the wings, Dark Sea Grey undersides and a light upper side (maybe PRU Blue and Medium Sea Grey), and there's a mission for this ...thing.

Captain Canada

Hmmm.....I do like the idea of big missiles hanging under her

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

That's going to be a candidate in the 'Most Expensive Whiff' thread I'm sure.  :o

That 1/48 Lightning looks HUGE!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Some Standard ARMs or Scale-o-rama-ed 1:48 missiles, perhaps? Wings are big enough for serious ordnance, but I'd limit them to a single pair. Maybe the Carrots can be used for the pylons/launch rails, too - or even overwing installations? After all, the missiles would move upwards against unfriendly satellites...?  :rolleyes:

Captain Canada

I bought the Lightning at a shop up in Hamilton, ON, that buys and sells collections and toys etc, and I think I paid less than $20 CDN for it ! Problem was, I was there to buy up a bunch of cheap Tamiya 1/12th scale bikes, and had little cash to spare. After opening the box and seeing what a beautiful kit it was I went back but they were all gone  :unsure:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

The original Hamilton Hobbies that is now over on Portside in Hannon. A little treasure trove there ! Books, kits, diecast, etc etc and always changing
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Very good, sir! This will be a beauty!! :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

CammNut

OMG! I have been on whiffler.com for ages and I have only just found this section. Now I'm in heaven, and I love the cresent-winged Lightning concept. A beauty indeed

Captain Canada

Thanks guys, but all credit has to go to ZeroSen ! I'm just copying his idea  :bow:

I have the fuselage of the Lightning together. Had to add a bunch of the internal bits to get everything lined up but no big deal. Glued the outer wings together as well, so I could see how everything is going to line up. The intakes are huge, but I'm just going as is. Would like to get this done before the deadline.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Snowtrooper

The long wings and large radome suggest to me either a "missile truck" interceptor (slow-ish but with good endurance and plenty of long-range AAM's) or a naval strike plane (with Sea Eagles or Martels or the like).

Low-altitude tactical bomber would probably have shorter and smaller wings in order not to shake to bits, and that combination of low sweep angle and long span doesn't really shout "ASAT!" either (though of course, at extreme altitudes the larger wing would perhaps provide that needes small extra bit of lift).

Captain Canada

Thanks for the input !

Not sure what I'm going to hang on it yet, if anything, or of a colour scheme. Still too much work to do on getting her done ! The fuselage defo needed to be lengthened. The wing is a lot bigger in 'real life' than in the profile !

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

From looking at the profile again, i agree that it would look better with a longer fuselage, but i think it would help if you shorten the wings a bit.
Cutting where the refueling probe is, take out the rest of the outboard wider wing up to those "bulbs" on the trailing edge.
I think it's not as much work as re-working the fuselage but that's just my 2 cents... :thumbsup:

Edit: This explains it better, black section removed.

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"