Author Topic: AT guided weapons mounted as anti ship missiles  (Read 898 times)

Offline DarrenP2

• Kitbasher
AT guided weapons mounted as anti ship missiles
« on: February 15, 2016, 04:45:53 am »
I have seen images of Hellfire and Brimstone being developed into Ship and air launched Anti ship missiles. I'm sure there are others.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: AT guided weapons mounted as anti ship missiles
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:34:30 am »
For use against fast patrol craft I presume ?

A Carl Gustav did a lot of damage to an Argentine Corvette in the Falklands so the idea is sound, especially given the newer stuff would be guided
Decals my @r$e!

Offline DarrenP2

• Kitbasher
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:33:31 am »
Systems like Javelin and Gil Spike certainly would ruin a fast patrol boats day and cause some damage to a larger vessel

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:20:25 pm »
One of the earliest systems for western patrol boats was the French SS-12, but the system could also fire SS-11 and did so for training purposes.

I see no reason why any ATGW shouldn't be mounted on a ship. One useful capability not available to conventional missiles would be precise targeting: assuming the firer could get close enough, the ATGW could be directed (for instance) at the target's bridge or a specific weapon or sensor.

A useful modification to the ATGWs would be an altimeter or height-hold system to avoid it crashing into the sea in rough conditions.
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline DarrenP2

• Kitbasher
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 09:13:25 am »
on blowpipe we had a super elevation aiming line to allow us crest clearence on launch and on Javelin this was replaced by a button which did a similar thing. But a pitching ship might cause the guidance packages some problems, Also unrestricted backblast areas Carl Gustav is 30m

Offline alfavega

• Out of the Whiffing Closet
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 10:45:06 am »
The Wasp from HMS Plymouth as well as two other Wasps launched from Endurance fired AS-12 air-to-surface missiles at the submarine scoring hits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Santa_Fe_%28S-21%29

Offline AS.12

• Out of the Whiffing Closet
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 01:03:06 am »
The Wasp from HMS Plymouth as well as two other Wasps launched from Endurance fired AS-12 air-to-surface missiles at the submarine scoring hits.

The AS.12s fired in that engagement weren't fitted with shaped-charge ATGM warheads but with the specific anti-shipping semi-armour-piercing OP3C blast-frag heads which were fused to detonate on the far side of steel plate.  Even then, two of them passed through the GFRP sail and tail-fin panels and exited without detonating, it was only one which struck the water a metre or so short of the hull that caused the damage that prevented diving; basically acted as a shallow depth-charge.

The OP3C head is considerably more powerful than anything deployed on any ATGM ( short of AGM-65 ), at 30 kg it's about three times the weight of that on AGM-114.  The same design was adopted for the successor Sea Skua.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:06:27 am by AS.12 »

Offline DarrenP2

• Kitbasher
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 02:37:38 pm »
For use against fast patrol craft I presume ?

A Carl Gustav did a lot of damage to an Argentine Corvette in the Falklands so the idea is sound, especially given the newer stuff would be guided

I think the 2 66's and the gpmg turning the bridge into a sieve didn't help either. But i do wonder if the Booties had had something bigger like Milan or a Wombat.