Author Topic: DONE +++ English Electric P.6/1 "Levin", RAF 65 Sq., Coningsby 1983 (pics@p. 4)  (Read 6512 times)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
What a splendid device, I love it!  :thumbsup: :bow:

That's got better and better as the build went on Thomas, great work.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
Oh. Wow. For sure that's a show stopper ! You've hit one out of the park with this one. The pics are even better than usual, which is a big ask ! love the second shot, from below with the burner, and then 4th shot of her taxiing. most excellent !

:wub: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline kerick

Awesome build and great pics!
Where did you get the back drop photos? Did you take them yourself or are they from the web?
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline zenrat

• Not on the rug, man!
Excellent, although I agree with DFZ - better without the tanks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:41:42 am by zenrat »
Fred

Let's make Victoria great again.

Another ill conceived, poorly thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IMELBOUR261

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
Thank you very much. :cheers:  Personally, the second shot (from behind/below with the afterburner glowing) is actually one of my favorites, too, because it emphasizes the Levin's clean lines, the single engine and the wing shape. Took a lot of editing, though, hiding the landing gear away took some time...  :rolleyes:

The backgrounds are, as per usual, high resolution web pictures, printed in A3 format (18x12") - the pics were a lucky find, from walkarounds on several RAF airfields: http://inreachoftheskies.co.uk/airfields%202.html

I am divided concerning the overwing tanks -  the clean configuration looks fast and sleek, but IMHO the tanks do not appear as bulky as on a Lightning F.6, probably because the deep belly is missing.

Glad you like it!  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:22:18 am by Dizzyfugu »

Offline su27rules

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
Awesome build  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
Truly inspired, Dizzy! :thumbsup:

Not a fan of over-wing stores on any aircraft, so I agree with zenrat & DFZ there, but it was a standard British practice for quite a while & is, therefore, appropriate.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
Thank you very much. :cheers:  Personally, the second shot (from behind/below with the afterburner glowing) is actually one of my favorites,

Yup fantastic, atmospheric shot. The whole build is just incredible  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
I could have sworn I'd left a comment on this build, but apparently not: I'm doing that a lot these days.... :banghead:

Anyway...

This is a great build Dizzy: welcome to the single-enigined Lightning club! ;D

Something that struck me on my build after I was finished is that you might be able to carry a pair of drop tank under the wings and inboard of the undercarriage wells, in a similar manner to the F-84. You can't do this on a Lightning because they'd be too close to the deep fuselage and aerodynamic interference would set it, but on my mid-wing build it looks plenty feasible. Since the wing of the Levin is set high, I'm not sure if it would work or not: you'd just have to offer it up and see if it looked right. Another point worthy of note: if the Lightning tanks are too big for this exercise, then the F-9F Tiger tanks are almost exactly the same shape, complete with the vertical wedge back end, but about half the size...

Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline ysi_maniac

• Kit Surgeon First Class
Wonderful modeling and imaging. You are a real master :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.