How to confuse.............

Started by JayBee, October 16, 2015, 08:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

There is an old joke.

How to confuse an Irish Navvy?

Answer :

Hold up two shovels and tell him to take his pick!

So the modern version would be :

How to confuse a JMN?

Show him two models of similar types from the same time period, that are not what they seem, and wait for his head to explode!

The story so far.

In the late 1940's research was going on, on both sides of the Atlantic into the best configuration for swept wing jets.
In particular there was much debate about whether swept wing jets would require a tailplane or not.
In America the Northrop Corperation produced an experimental type in the form of the X-4 Bantam. (The X stood for Experimental).
While in Great Britain the DeHavilland Aircraft Company produced the DH-108 Swallow.
Both designs did produce one definite result. At higher speeds the aircraft all showed reduced longitudinal stability (commonly known as "Porpoising").

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Whiffers, I present for your delight and delectation :

The DeHavilland DH108 Swallow, :

...and the Northrop X-4 Bantam, :

Lastly, the two of them together

The models :

Planet Models DH 108 Swallow.
&
MPM Northrop X-4 Bantam.

They just underwent a bit of a transformation.

The Swallow got a new canopy (to lose the framing detail) modified from an F-16 (no idea what kit it came from), a long nose probe, and a pitot tube mounted high on the leading edge of the fin.

The Bantam got a shortened, and reshaped, fin, and two wingtip mounted pitot tubes.

Then the colour schemes and markings were swapped over.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Dizzyfugu

Very nice! A true "underneath the radar" pair.  :thumbsup:

Rheged

Very tricksy, my precious!  This definitely counts as a "cunning plan"....especially as it is so well executed.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Tophe

You may count your transformations as true (unbuilt) "improvements" and only engineers from these companies can deny.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Both show the mastery of your craft Jaybee!

Superb job(s) there.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

I like both, very nice! :thumbsup:
I bet you can tell JMNs when they look at the models and reach for their cell phones to google about them and go: "But... :unsure:?" ;D

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Had me totally confused ! Glad you have explained it all  :thumbsup:

They both look lovely. A very rare and interesting pair to be sure !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

I almost said you'd swapped the wings  :banghead: Didn't realise it was just a case of identities until I read it, so count me suckered  ;D Really nice pair

That Planet kit was the first full resin kit I built an done of the first I built when I got back into modelling. Fond memories  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Not to worry Chris, there were a few people suckered at to-days Glasgow show.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Rat

Why is the word BRILLIANT leaping to the front of my mind?  :bow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Scooterman

Totally bril, Jim.  Love 'em!!!

zenrat

Well you succeeded in confusing me.
Good work.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..