Martin B-51G Panther “Tropic Moon III” Finished!!!

Started by trickyrich, July 28, 2015, 06:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickyrich

Well the GB for this project is just about to start, this build is part of a WhatIf GB on another site so I will be running a build on that site plus another one (I know some know me on all three sites). The build update will be exactly the same on all three sites, just the local replies to comments will be different.

I have been waiting for this build for quite sometime, 2 years to be exact, so it had to be something epic to celebrate it!! At one stage I was going to build the Arado Ar-234 P5 "Turbo-Prop" Nightfighter (which I am currently building here) for this build but after seeing some of the parts I didn't think I would be able to complete it in the time available, as there was a lot of work required. My work patterns have changed so I do have more time for modelling now, and that build just seems to be just falling together. It's too late for the GB as it's past the 25% rule.

Then I happened to see some amazing profiles by an artist Logan Hartke and I just fell in love with the ones of the B-51 Panther, which are based on the Martin XB-51. So after a couple of e-mails to him I had his blessing to use one of the profiles as the basis for the build. Actually he was very excited to see someone actually try to bring this design to life (Very much appreciated Logan, I do hope I can do your wonderful profile justice!!).

So the base of the build will be Anigrand's XB-51!  I had hoped to have had Collect-Aires 1/48th version (I will build one as soon as I can get one) as trust me it would have been an easier build than the Anigrand one....more on that later.

The new nose and canopy(?) will be from an Italeri B-57G along with a couple of other bits supplied from it as well. Though I have found a F-4E canopy that looks quite good on it as well!

Plus just to give myself a little bit more work a 1/72nd Master M61 Vulcan rotary cannon will be fitted to the weapons bay as per the Pave Gat program originally fitted to a couple B-57G's in Vietnam in 1968. Insanely small PE....my favourite...I think not!

Finally she'll be finished in RAAF colours for SEA operations around 1971.  

Work required;

•   Ok the Anigrand base model is horrible! All four sections of the fuselage were and still are warped, even a nice warm bath didn't work, I think it made it worse! So lots of work there.

•   Main wheel well bays need to be rebuilt, are warped.
•   Completely new cockpit to be built.
•   Canopy will either be from the B-57 donor or a F-4E
•   Modernise the XB-51 airframe
•   Get carried away with any additional mods I always end up doing!!!

Well I have my work cut out for this one......but am so excited I can't wait!!!

Oh the aircrafts full title is Martin B-51G Panther Tropic Moon III wt Pave Gat. The actual Tropic Moon III program started in 1967 as a result of operational requirements in Vietnam. Have managed to get the original de-classified documents for the program, which is really cool and very helpful!

So after much talk the build well begin this weekend...gee I'm a sucker for punishment!

NARSES2

Interested to see how this goes. I've got this kit and I've always had a liking for the aircraft
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Cool idea - and good luck!

"May the putty be with you..."

Logan Hartke

I'll be watching this closely. You're going to be the first person to actually bring one of my profiles into plastic as far as I know, so I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

That's going to be totally AWESOME!  :thumbsup:

A pity the basic kit is such a dog, I was always under the impression that Anigrand usually made a better job of it than that, but maybe not. I'll be following your build closely.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Very cool. Love the look of that profile so can't wait to see what becomes of her ! Shame that the kit is so badly warped, it looked so good laid out !

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2015, 12:20:36 PM

A pity the basic kit is such a dog, I was always under the impression that Anigrand usually made a better job of it than that, but maybe not. I'll be following your build closely.

I've had some very good Anigrand kits and some less so. Originally the earlier you ordered in the production run the better the kit. What I have noticed over the last few years is that Hannant's tend to get the better quality castings and I've got my kits via them rather then direct. They also matched their prices with getting them direct....eventually  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

trickyrich

Yeah Anigrand can be a bit hit and miss with regards to quality, think it may be due to the age of the releases and mouldings. The new releases seem to be much nicer than the earlier ones! This one is much better that the Unicraft ones I have had in the past thou that said they are the only ones to get if you are into Luft46 so you have to than Igor for that. Currently awaiting the rubbish bin are a couple of Airmodel AFV's.......thank goodness I only paid $15 ea!

This is a build I have been waiting for for so long, basically ever since I saw those amazing profiles by Logan.  :bow:  I am so glad I have his blessing to have a go at building one of them, I am actually a wee bit scared.

Aside for the warped fuselage it should be a fairly simple build/conversion when compared to what I have had to do with the Arado!

so hopefully I can inspire others to dig out their XB-51's from their stashes and build some of the other schemes Logan has dreamed up.

comrade harps

Whatever.

NARSES2

This thread has encouraged me to dig my kit out and luckily she hasn't got a warp in sight  :thumbsup: I was however surprised at how big, or rather long, she is  :blink:

I've never really settled on what to build this as but I've now decided she will be Israeli. I'll be watching this build for hints and tips  :thumbsup:

Logan Hartke

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2015, 06:03:47 AM
I've never really settled on what to build this as but I've now decided she will be Israeli. I'll be watching this build for hints and tips  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Logan

trickyrich

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2015, 06:03:47 AM
This thread has encouraged me to dig my kit out and luckily she hasn't got a warp in sight  :thumbsup: I was however surprised at how big, or rather long, she is  :blink:

Nice!!!

She is very long compared to the wing span, it's a wonder she actually flew! The Israeli one was my first choice until I saw the Tropic Moon one! I'll be interested to see the canopy choice, I am now leaning towards the F-4 Phantom one rather than the B-57 Canberra one. The narrow canopy suits the narrow body. Will have to follow your build with interest!

Captain Canada

Oh yeah it will look excellent in Isreali markings.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Logan Hartke

In case you're wondering (and have one in the stash), Talos and I used the F-101B canopy for the B-51B profile.

Cheers,

Logan

trickyrich

Quote from: Logan Hartke on July 31, 2015, 07:39:29 AM
In case you're wondering (and have one in the stash), Talos and I used the F-101B canopy for the B-51B profile.

Cheers,

Logan

Arrrr!!  That's probably why the F-4 canopy looks good on it....only found that one the other day (was looking for something else).

That's a cool photo as well!!