« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:54:50 am »
And all the infantry are turning and going "what the ***"  ;D
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Old Wombat

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Armour: The Gods of War love it!
Re: Pipers
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:08:26 am »
Which is, from what I've read, exactly what happened. Even the Highlanders thought pipers were bat-nuts crazy! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 05:57:56 am »
Great pic. That would be a neat little dio !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline buzzbomb

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:52:13 pm »
Which is, from what I've read, exactly what happened. Even the Highlanders thought pipers were bat-nuts crazy! ;D

As one who has in the past played the bagpipes in Pipe Bands...I may resemble that remark :thumbsup:

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 05:57:13 am »

Yup. The Sean Connery cameo (although perhaps he wasn't a star at that date ?) in The Longest Day comes to mind  ;D
Decals my @r$e!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 01:48:27 pm »

Yup. The Sean Connery cameo (although perhaps he wasn't a star at that date ?) in The Longest Day comes to mind  ;D

Didn't the troops coming to the relief of Major Howard at the Pegasus Bridge have a piper leading them? I recall Howard heard the piper coming before he saw the relief troops coming into view.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 02:14:11 pm »

Didn't the troops coming to the relief of Major Howard at the Pegasus Bridge have a piper leading them? I recall Howard heard the piper coming before he saw the relief troops coming into view.

You are quite correct, sir!  I watched my old VHS video of the film not long ago.

Incidentally, there were acts of Parliament in 1746 for the suppression of rebellion in "North Britain" which declared the pipes proscribed  as a weapon of war.    I should imagine that this has since been repealed.   Is there any truth in the rumour that the Leith Police  (as famed in a  tongue twister)  deal with minor offenders by making them listen to a pipe band practicing in a small room until they "skirled into insensibility"?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 07:32:03 am »

Yup and it's when he strikes up "Blue Bonnets" that a very Scottish Connery stuffs cotton wool in his ears much to the amusement of his English comrades .

Is there any truth in the rumour that the Leith Police  (as famed in a  tongue twister)  deal with minor offenders by making them listen to a pipe band practicing in a small room until they "skirled into insensibility"?

Surely banned under one of the first Geneva or Hague conventions as a cruel and unusual punishment ?  :wacko:

As for the Act banning the things being repealed ? Who knows ? There's loads of historical Acts of Parliament still on the official statute books which are absolutely daft and we just tend to ignore them. Every now and again they repeal a huge raft of them (like the Hansom cab laws which meant a black cab should have carried a bale of hay among other things) but loads are still on the books.
Decals my @r$e!