Harrier GR.9A of the Portuguese Marines

Started by DogfighterZen, April 19, 2015, 07:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: DogfighterZen on May 30, 2016, 04:04:25 PMWhat if the Portuguese Navy had some carriers?

WARNING: I am going to get a wee bit political here, so let's not allow this to turn into a debate that will get everything pulled. Thanks. Anyhooooo...

I can see a possible back story that goes along these lines: Centuries ago, Portugal noticed that their neighbour Spain was expending a lot of military effort subjugating and/or exterminating native populations, leading to long-standing tension, and poorly realised potential (Real world fact, show me an ex-Spanish colony that isn't messed up politically or economically, or is anything approaching a powerhouse). They decided to try a different approach; their colonies and the native populations would be treated with respect, and as equal partners in the affairs of the Portuguese Empire. As a result, they leap-frogged past many other nations in economics, and used that power to become a world leader in stable government and technology. This would not only allow for, but require, the procurement of the most powerful naval systems available in order to protect and defend the Empire, it's resources, and trade routes.

Run with it if you like.  ;)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Army of One on January 02, 2017, 01:02:03 PM
Coming along really well.....must finish my Royal Maltese Defence Force one......

:thumbsup:

Quote from: The Rat on January 02, 2017, 07:26:32 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on May 30, 2016, 04:04:25 PMWhat if the Portuguese Navy had some carriers?

WARNING: I am going to get a wee bit political here, so let's not allow this to turn into a debate that will get everything pulled. Thanks. Anyhooooo...

I can see a possible back story that goes along these lines: Centuries ago, Portugal noticed that their neighbour Spain was expending a lot of military effort subjugating and/or exterminating native populations, leading to long-standing tension, and poorly realised potential (Real world fact, show me an ex-Spanish colony that isn't messed up politically or economically, or is anything approaching a powerhouse). They decided to try a different approach; their colonies and the native populations would be treated with respect, and as equal partners in the affairs of the Portuguese Empire. As a result, they leap-frogged past many other nations in economics, and used that power to become a world leader in stable government and technology. This would not only allow for, but require, the procurement of the most powerful naval systems available in order to protect and defend the Empire, it's resources, and trade routes.

Run with it if you like.  ;)

No worries, mate. :thumbsup:
We did our share of bad things to our colonized territories and their natives, not proud of that part of our history, and it's always been something i wish had happen differently because there was so much more to gain than with how we handled things.
When i thought of the carriers, i knew that Portugal didn't have a very strong economy back in the 1940s, so i wondered what had to happen before that period to get the country's safes filled up again, but i only went back to the revolution and the creation of the republic, after the monarchy fell in 1910.
The freedom atmosphere would extend to the colonies and respect and cooperation between Portuguese and natives would gradually grow, resulting in prosperity for all. I don't know if it would be enough time to heal all the wounds from the occupation and enslavement of the people for so long, but i believe that, with wiser politicians and economists to create conditions to properly exploit and manage all the resources available in the colonies, Portugal could've been much better off by the 40s.
I like your idea of taking it back to the 15th century but that's about 6 centuries worth of world history to rethink cause it could make things very different concerning territories that we lost throughout the years. It would make the whole thing more plausible though, so i'll have to think about it a bit better but i thank you very much for the idea, that's how it should've happened. :thumbsup:

Concerning the Harrier, got the probe, air data sensors and a few more details painted so it's ready for a protective gloss coat before decals. Still haven't done any work on the landing gear and ordnance but tomorrow i'll try to get it all assembled and maybe even painted.

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Neato, DfZ! :thumbsup:

I've got 3 Harriers, of various models, in 1/48th to build as Royal Australian Marines birds - we don't even have Marines, except in the minds of brilliant visionaries ... & me! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Oh she's gonna look so good all bombed up !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 03, 2017, 08:30:52 PM
I've got 3 Harriers, of various models, in 1/48th to build as Royal Australian Marines birds - we don't even have Marines, except in the minds of brilliant visionaries ... & me! ;D

:wacko: Of course, free minds have always known about the Royal Australian Marines,  :thumbsup:

Just got home and down to the cave to see if i can shake off some of the laziness that been typical after work for the past week... damn chainsaw i'm using now is heavier... :banghead: Anyway, gonna give the Harrier a gloss coat now... if i still feeling like doing something more after that, maybe i'll get the landing gear bits painted too... :rolleyes:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Ok, after a slow month due to work, this weekend i was able to get the Harrier almost finished...
I don't have the clear orange i need to paint the Paveways's laser sensor cover but i should be able to go out to my LHS and pic up a jar of Tamiya's before the end of the week. Also, i still have to figure out how to simulate the FLIR lense, but i've just remembered that i used a decal to simulate the ID light on the side of the PoAF's F-16AM, and that could work here... i just have to find the right sized, round decal in the spares bag... :rolleyes:
If i can't find anything suitable, maybe i'll risk doing it with a very small and well aimed drop of Tamiya smoke paint...
Last details left to do, the reflecting glass of the HUD and the detonation cord decal on the canopy. After these small bits, it'll be finished and ready for the final pics.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Well, got 3 of the 4 details done, HUD and detonation cord on the canopy...

And the FLIR, which is a decal but will have to do... :rolleyes:

And tomorrow i'll try to go to my LHS to buy the Tamiya clear orange paint for the Paveways...

zenrat

Things were a lot simpler when they sat in an open cockpit and aimed by lining the plane up at the enemy.

This is looking great.  Can't wait to see it finished.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on January 24, 2017, 12:55:45 AM
Things were a lot simpler when they sat in an open cockpit and aimed by lining the plane up at the enemy.

This is looking great.  Can't wait to see it finished.

Must have been quite a experience to fly in combat in WWII... and even more in WWI, no parachute, no armor plate behind the seat... :o Real brave men! :bow:
I can't wait to see this one finished too, i've got an F-16 and YF-23 to build! :thumbsup:
But we'll have to wait til next weekend for this one, i just can't make it to the LHS in week days, so next Saturday morning i'll go there and pics will be taken in the afternoon... if real life has no surprises til then, that is... :rolleyes:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 24, 2017, 06:32:09 AM
This is becoming very impressive

:bow: Glad you like it!

I wasn't able to go by the LHS to buy the color i need to finish the last detail on it but i guess it's such a small thing that it doesn't really make a difference in the overall look of the model, so i'll take some pics of it today.

DogfighterZen

Finally i had enough time to write the backstory for this, at first i was going with a long version, explaining the evolution of the ship building industry in Portugal, since the 1920s, but i decided to keep it short on this one and leave the rest to be used when i build an F6F Hellcat, the first type flown from Portuguese carriers... :wacko:

So here you go, story and pics...

"In 1998, the Portuguese Marine Corps were looking to replace the 24 Harrier GR.3 that they'd been operating since 1983, aboard the NRP "Bordalo", one of the 3 "Arade" class carriers, similar to the British "Invincible" class, with a displacement of 6,5 tons, and was built at Arsenal do Alfeite docks in Portugal, during the late 1970s.

The need to replace the GR.3 fleet was becoming evident as the airframes were coming to the end their expected lifespan and flight hours were becoming very costly, but the Marines were told to wait because it was still unknown if Portugal would get involved on the JSF program or not, but 2 years went by and the GR.3 had to be retired without an option, leaving the carrier air arms operating only helicopters during a full year.

A new aircraft would be needed very soon but, the slow development of the F-35 meant that an alternative had to be found. The obvious choice would be modern Harriers, but this time only 16 aircraft would be bought.
The 16 GR.7 would be delivered in 2 batches of 8, the first being delivered in 2001 and the second in late 2002.

All 16 airframes were upgraded to GR.9A standards in 2010, getting the 9A designation because they got the more powerful Pegasus Mk.107 engine.
The PoMC still operates their Harriers and will do so, at least, until 2025, year on which they're planning to transition to the Lockheed Martin F-35B."

After around 2 years on and off the bench, it's finally finished, hope you guys like it. :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That looks VERY smart indeed! A great modelling job there.  :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if it'd had managed a VTO with that loadout though, that's all the weapons in all the sizes.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Ahhh yes!! It WAS worth the wait!!  Excellent work, bud! Man that turned out good...  Seems your new wares worked out just fine.

Them stores look nice, too; she's a predator. . .    :wacko: :wacko:

NOW,...... I heard me something about Cats 'n Carriers?!?  I can't wait to see this Portuguese Hellcat.   :o :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-