Author Topic: Super Etendard Ideas  (Read 4214 times)

Online Mossie

• Twiglet doctor
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Don't laugh at his mule
Re: Super Etendard Ideas
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2018, 07:03:19 am »
What about two engines for a landbased variant?  I always thought the SuE looked a bit skinny in the hips.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 09:24:44 am »
Graft the back end of an F-111 on there..........
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2018, 11:57:11 am »
What about two engines for a landbased variant?  I always thought the SuE looked a bit skinny in the hips.

The back end of a MiG-19 might blend in quite nicely, and you could claim the engines as Adours. They wouldn't give much more thrust (at least in a late '60s/early '70s timeframe) but the fuel consumption would be WAY better and you'd have twin-engined safety.

Alternatively, beef up the fuselage diameter, nozzle size and intake size and claim it's got a Spey. Worked for the AMX...
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline Zero-Sen

• Out of the Whiffing Closet
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2018, 12:34:37 pm »

The back end of a MiG-19 might blend in quite nicely, and you could claim the engines as Adours. They wouldn't give much more thrust (at least in a late '60s/early '70s timeframe) but the fuel consumption would be WAY better and you'd have twin-engined safety.

Alternatively, beef up the fuselage diameter, nozzle size and intake size and claim it's got a Spey. Worked for the AMX...
I like your idea that would rather be a Super Etendard II ;D
http://www.aviastar.org/air/france/dassault_etendard2.php

Etendard II scratch build here ...
http://maquette72.free.fr/amis/JCHoug/2014_08_etendard2/index_ajch08.php

Offline zenrat

• The Devil's Avocet.
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2018, 12:11:16 am »
[quote
No more or less well than a forward-swept wing anything else, I'd imagine. The problem with forward-swept wings from a modelling point of view is finding one with the right aerofoil cross-section: you can't just turn a backwards-swept wing round the other way...

And, if you just cut the wings off at the root to make them sweep forward, you'll find you just lost 20-30% of your wing length.  Trimming the tip's to match the sweep angle exacerbates the problem. 

If you then extend the tips out the results are wings that are the correct length but absurdly narrow.  Since the real-world problem with forward-swept wings is tip-flex causing catastrophic flutter ...

I did once put forward-swept wings on a 1/48 Hornet, and I had to make completely new wings - the only original kit wing parts used were the strakes and the under-wing pylons and stores. 
[/quote]

Might scaleoramaing 1/48 wings into 1/72 solve some of the issues?
Fred

Let's make Victoria great again.

Another ill conceived, poorly thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IMELBOUR261