A Little Rhinoplasty

Started by Gondor, September 26, 2014, 07:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Thought I would do a little more than drop hints about one of my recent builds.

The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia:
    Rhinoplasty (/ˈraɪnəˌplæsti/, Greek: ῥίς rhis, nose + πλάσσειν plassein, to shape), a nose job, is a plastic surgery procedure for correcting and reconstructing the form, restoring the functions, and aesthetically enhancing the nose, by resolving nasal trauma (blunt, penetrating, blast), congenital defect, respiratory impediment, and a failed primary rhinoplasty

Well what I have done and am doing fits the above in more than one meaning of the definition, perhaps I should let the pictures tell the story, then you can guess what has gone into the build so far.  ;D

Start with this

Do this

Add this

Put together and you have this

This is what the underside at the front of the nose wheel well looks like

Still got some fettling and filling to do before the paint goes on but so far so good I think.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

What a  big nose you'vre got Mr. Rhino.   ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Hmmm Rhinoplasty,  :o
Well 'Rhino' is/was a nickname for the F-4E, and the only reason (possibly ;D)
That you'd saw the nose off an F-4E and stick it on yet another Phantom,
Would be if that particular kind of Phantom never had a Gun nose and had
'Other' Engines. So my guess is an F-4E(M or K) :thumbsup:
Although I suppose you could also be doing a 'Peace Jack' mod, but the nose looks
To short to me.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Captain Canada

Beauty. Love the older Phantoms so this is perfect. I'd suggest stepping back a few feet before taking the pics tho.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: TallEng on September 26, 2014, 09:17:52 AM
Hmmm Rhinoplasty,  :o
Well 'Rhino' is/was a nickname for the F-4E, and the only reason (possibly ;D)
That you'd saw the nose off an F-4E and stick it on yet another Phantom,
Would be if that particular kind of Phantom never had a Gun nose and had
'Other' Engines. So my guess is an F-4E(M or K) :thumbsup:
Although I suppose you could also be doing a 'Peace Jack' mod, but the nose looks
To short to me.

Regards
Keith

Your quite correct other than the fact I did not saw the nose off an F-4E,  nor did it break nor did anyone saw it off for me  ;D
There was some sawing and a slight amount or breakage involves with the white plastic parts though but that was because the donor aircraft was quite well stuck together.

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 26, 2014, 09:31:05 AM
Beauty. Love the older Phantoms so this is perfect. I'd suggest stepping back a few feet before taking the pics tho.....

Captain, I deliberately took fairly close up shots and cropped the pictures as well. The auto focus on the camera sometimes does not focus exactly where I want it to.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on September 26, 2014, 09:35:20 AM
The auto focus on the camera sometimes does not focus exactly where I want it to.

Gondor

I definitely know what you mean there  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Camera autofocus systems like contrast - edges and borders, patterns etc. If you take a pic of something on (eg.) one of those cutting mats with the grid, the camera will often lock onto the grid rather than the model. Use a plain, blank background to avoid this. A piece of paper (preferably not white) or some plain fabric works well.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

If it's a really bad picture then I bin it and take another go at it.

Hope people are enjoying what and how I am doing this build.

Gondor

JayBee

Quote from: TallEng on September 26, 2014, 09:17:52 AM

Well 'Rhino' is/was a nickname for the F-4E,

In fact the nickname "Rhino" was a USAF term for any version of the F-4.
However you beat me by about twenty seconds with that post so I have just been holding off for a wee while.

Alistair do not worry about your photos, I think they are great. They certainly show what needs to be shown.

Is it going to be ready for the GLasgow show?

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

pyro-manic

So is it a gun-nosed Spey Phantom then? Will it be navy or RAF? Oooh, or a test bird in raspberry ripple?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on September 27, 2014, 11:46:07 AM

In fact the nickname "Rhino" was a USAF term for any version of the F-4.
However you beat me by about twenty seconds with that post so I have just been holding off for a wee while.

Alistair do not worry about your photos, I think they are great. They certainly show what needs to be shown.

Is it going to be ready for the Glasgow show?

Jim

Jim, I certainly hope so and as long as nothing major happens it should be there, hopefully with a few other new builds as well.

Quote from: pyro-manic on September 27, 2014, 11:50:19 AM

So is it a gun-nosed Spey Phantom then? Will it be navy or RAF? Oooh, or a test bird in raspberry ripple?

Yes pyro-manic it is. RAF and probably 17Squadron as I have plenty of markings for them. I do like the idea of the Raspberry Ripple bird though.

Gondor

Gondor

Some more "in progress" shots showing how well the parts from the three donor kits have gone together.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Looking good ! Love the Phantom  :wub:

I use mu iphone for close up shots. The resolution isn't as good, but it seems to like the 'up close' thing better than my real camera.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

The PSR is almost complete and will be by the start of next week. Lots of white to be painted still which I hate as I never seem to get it to cover well or consistently  :banghead:

Gondor