My first whiff - F-16W - FINISHED!!

Started by DogfighterZen, August 23, 2014, 09:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Hello whiff world!!
This is my first build post ever so i must warn everyone that i'm not a very good modeler as are a lot of the whiffers on this site, i admire a lot of the work i've
seen around here!
This is also my first year back in the hobby for after about 20 some years of bmx riding, rock bands and everything else life brings along...
After breaking my wrist in a work related accident, free time was not an issue so i thought that building models would be a good therapy for my wrist as i recovered
from the three medical interventions performed to get it properly healed. What else could be better than modeling to get your ligaments and
muscles back in shape?  ;D
Well, when i found this forum, i finaly found my home as i always thought that most aircraft could improve in looks, so i want to thank all of you crazy people that dream up and build all the wonders we see here and for the motivation it gives me to unleash my
mind's will on to plastic and putty...

Ok, enough on me, lets get down to whiffness!!  :party:

While surfin' through google images of the Viper, i saw a picture of what was called the F-16U and fell in love with it but still, i could see some other changes to make on this design.
The backstory could be:
What if the jsf winner f-35 was cancelled right at the start of production/development stage due to inhability to comply with performance requirements and
concurrency cost issues? As a cheaper multi-role aircraft was still needed to replace a big number of ageing aircraft on U.S. and on many other air forces
around the world, the F-16 airframe was chosen to be upgraded to 21st century requirements.
My tools are tamiya putty and a lot of patience for the sanding process.  :banghead:

Hope this is the right way to post images but if not, can anyone point me in the right direction? Anyway, i'm counting to get some better pics of this(these were taken with my laptop's camera) and show some advances on the build this coming week.
I'm open to any tips or ideas, so feel free to shout it out!  ;)

Peace
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

I'll be looking for more from this project. Serious whiff potential!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

eatthis

thats ALOT of filler  ;D im following this with interest
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Jesse220

comrade harps

Welcome aboard. Looks like you've come to the right place.  ;D

I wasn't familiar with the F-16U but it looks like a beauty. I look forward to seeing your take on it come to completion.

Whatever.

DogfighterZen

:o Wasn't expecting so much good feedback, people... Thank you all for the motivation!! :bow:
Gondor, that's just the thing, thank you! Will read before posting more pics!
Jesse, funny that you mention it, i thought about how much the dsi could do to lower the radar cross-section of the engine's face and, although i'm nothing close to an expert on the matter, i believe that it could hide it a bit more than the normal intake. Still, when i looked it up, i couldn't find any reference to this matter on the test results.
Carrying the thought to the backstory, maybe if one of the changes to these F-16W airframes could be radar absorbing materials to coat the whole thing!
Anyway, i have done some progress on the beast and will try to get some pics during next week.
:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Hman

Looking interesting, like the wing profile :thumbsup:
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

Hobbes

Hang on, did you extend the wing profile using nothing but putty? I hope you can get that to work. For thin shapes, you can get plastic plate material (from e.g. Evergreen) at the model shop, that's a bit easier to build wings with than putty  ;D

DogfighterZen

Yep, Hobbes, you're totally right but i only found out about those a few weeks after i started the wing enlargement  (yes, this has been started a few months ago wheen i was still recovering my wrist)  :banghead: anyway, i have managed to get the trailing edge thinner than some airfix kit's wings so i will win this battle!  :wacko:

Dizzyfugu

Looks good - had recently a similar idea for a next generation F-16, parts are already stashed away... Would look similar to yours, though, as far as I can tell!  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Nice, from what i've seen of your work, it should come out great! Get it on the bench and get to work!  :thumbsup: I will try to have the pics of the new advances on the intake and vertical fins by tomorrow night! :cheers:

McColm

DogfighterZen

Hey guys, first of all, thanks for the comments! Here are a few updates on the putty beast.  :party: Took the wings off to make the sanding of the new fin root fairings easier.

The intake

That's it for the moment, probably going to work on it during the weekend so maybe next week i'll have some more pics.
Any/all comments, critics and sugestions are welcome as always.

:cheers: