R.A.F. S.E.5, FINISHED Finnish Ilmavoimat, 1927

Started by nighthunter, May 24, 2014, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

I don't know why but I really like that Revell kit, it's a real sweetheart. I love your skis! Great work! The idea of a Finnish SE appeals, especially with winter mods. Very keen to see the end result.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

nighthunter

And, now for the main event.... Glamour Shots & Backstory, modeling that style after Dizzyfugu.

Finnish Ilmavoimat Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a

In early 1916 the Royal Aircraft Factory developed the S.E.5 fighter for the Royal Flying Corps. After the war, several surplus aircraft were donated and sold, sans machine guns, to the new country of Finland in support of the Whites, by several anti communists in Great Britain. The White Finns, always using their ingenuity, substituted LMG 08/15 "Spandau" 7.92mm machine guns for the Vickers .303 cal, due to the fact that there was a surplus of them.

The Finnish Whites modified the interrupter gear on the Hispano-Suiza 8 engines,to allow for two of the "Spandau" machine guns, mounted to the fuselage, one in the same location as the Vickers .303, and another on the left side, similar to the Nieuport N.28.

During the Finnish Civil War, the White's S.E.5's were instrumental in establishing air superiority, their engines performing better in the cold weather than the Gnome Rotaries of the Red's Nieuports. After the victory of the Whites in the Civil War, the S.E.5's were used as border patrol aircraft, and flew with to their Great War adversary, the Fokker D.VII.

In 1928, the few remaining S.E.5a's were being used as advanced trainers, alongside the D.VII's, and SPAD's. The last S.E.5 was retired in 1931 and placed in the Ilmavoimat Museum. Aircraft #54, was found in the museum's storage hanger in 1954 and restored to flying condition in 1987.

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

That works VERY well, Finnish scheme suits the SE5 very well. Nice job.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

major

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

Glamour picture post updated with back story.

Thanks all!

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Thanks all, for your kind words. Now to get cracking on the Hawker Hunter, lol!

comrade harps

Whatever.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

lancer

That is very nice. It looks very different on ski's
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die