Author Topic: Merit Models  (Read 1941 times)

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Merit Models
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 10:28:03 am »

I suppose you could have a time delay on the detonator ? Doesn't become "live" until so many turns of the small prop at the front ?

Those Soviet ones appear to have been ejected by compressed air, given the tanks immediately in front of the torpedoes. I was thinking some poor sod had to push/roll them into the sea. Told you I'd not thought of the practicalities  ;)

Apparently they fired them astern with a small charge, and the torp's motor didn't start until it was kicked into life by a (presumably long....) lanyard attached to the MTB.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline zenrat

• Not on the rug, man!
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 04:14:53 am »
The more I look at the box art the more I want one.  Which I suppose means it is doing it's job.
Fred

Let's make Victoria great again.

Another ill conceived, poorly thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IMELBOUR261

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 06:22:16 am »
The more I look at the box art the more I want one.  Which I suppose means it is doing it's job.

Yup, it is very enticing  :wacko:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 11:25:34 am »

I suppose you could have a time delay on the detonator ? Doesn't become "live" until so many turns of the small prop at the front ?

Those Soviet ones appear to have been ejected by compressed air, given the tanks immediately in front of the torpedoes. I was thinking some poor sod had to push/roll them into the sea. Told you I'd not thought of the practicalities  ;)

Apparently they fired them astern with a small charge, and the torp's motor didn't start until it was kicked into life by a (presumably long....) lanyard attached to the MTB.

I think that the WW1 RN CMBs (coastal motor boats) did the same. Augustus Agar did all sorts of unpleasant things to the Bolshevik navy in 1919 with  CMBs and the Russians probably took the idea and used it themselves.  See here:-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_Agar  for the results of 2.73 seconds worth of rigorous in depth research.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Offline joncarrfarrelly

• Bertie Bassett
  • What-IF SIG
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 10:36:34 am »
The Thorneycroft built CMBs did indeed launch their single torpedo from the stern.
The Tupolev designed and built Soviet boats adopted the technique from boats
they captured during the Civil War.
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.