Supermarine Comet (aka Kitbasher's failed bid for SMW 2012 glory)

Started by kitbasher, November 06, 2013, 01:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

You may recall my 'Bid for SMW 2012 glory', aka the Airfix dH.88 Comet-based de Havilland Dolphin at http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,36086.msg578615.html#msg578615.  The Dolphin was originally going to be part of an 'identity crisis' pair for last year's SMW, but as readers of my blog may recall that fell by the wayside.  12 months on and it is finally built - if dH built the Schneider Trophy winner, then Supermarine built the Comet.

And no, it's not a Comet with a Spitfire wing, it's an old freebie Heller Spitfire I with a pointy rudder from a Kopro Spitfire IX, the engines, props and undercarriage from the Dolphin's leftovers, a reprofiled nose and  a modified cockpit.  For the latter I simply cut back the fuselage to make room for another seat.  The canopy is the windscreen and hood from the Heller Spitfire mated up to a sawn off Comet canopy.  Decals from the Airfix kit, backstory is as per the real 'Black Magic'.

And finally the 'Identity Crisis 2' together:
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

What a wonderful looking pair Dave, full marks for ingenuity and workmanship.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

andrewj

CSMO

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Daryl J.

comrade harps

Whatever.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rheged

Quote from: The Rat on November 09, 2013, 07:04:00 AM
That's so sexy there's probably a law against it!  :thumbsup:

Agreed.  Anything that  tasty  is either illegal, immoral or contains too many calories
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]