Fixed Wing Tornado GR.1

Started by kitbasher, November 06, 2013, 12:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Built for last year's Cosford show (but never photographed unless on the SIG table) is this fixed wing Tornado. 
It's the old Airfix GR.1 more recently repopped as a GR.4 with inverted Airfix F-4 wings (wanted to get the turned down wingtip look as gesture to/vestige of the TSR.2).  Also Airfix F-4 tailplanes minus anhedral.   Otherwise straight from the box - decals from a Modeldecal sheet.

In Whifworld the variable geometry Panavia MRCA proved a major technical and fiscal development challenge, therefore the fixed-wing version was developed and put into production.  The type remains in service to this day.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Cor, that's ruddy MARVELOUS Dave, to mis-quote a Carling Black Label advert, or was it Guinness?  :thumbsup: :bow:

Only too plausible too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

and in the last shot looks very brooding as well,   looks far more like a bird of prey mantling its kill.  ( the down turn on the tips adding to the effect)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Captain Canada

Nice one ! Looks nice...but wrong ? I think it's the straightness of the trailing edge of the wing for me....it just looks so un-Tornado that my brain and my eyeballs are struggling to come to terms with it !

Still a very nice model tho.

And in my favourite camo scheme !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

Looks brilliant!  Highly plausible  :thumbsup:

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

McColm

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

eatthis

thats ace  :ph34r:

also looks like it evolved from a javelin  :tornado:
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

kitbasher

Quote from: eatthis on November 07, 2013, 12:02:48 AM
also looks like it evolved from a javelin 

I've had an on and off cunning plan for a Javelin.....enough said!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on November 07, 2013, 02:53:47 AM
I've had an on and off cunning plan for a Javelin.....enough said!

Hmmm, funny you should say that......... ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Love the tsr-2 homage. So believable I wonder if the Tornado would look good with swing wings ;D.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on November 07, 2013, 03:52:37 AM
Love the tsr-2 homage. So believable I wonder if the Tornado would look good with swing wings ;D.

Now you're just being silly!  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

It doesn't look balanced, somehow.  Perhaps a fuselage plug or the longer nose of the F3 would have improved it?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

martinbayer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 07, 2013, 04:37:16 AM
It doesn't look balanced, somehow.  Perhaps a fuselage plug or the longer nose of the F3 would have improved it?

Shorten the wingspan a bit? The Phantom had almost twice the wing area than the Tornado. I love it though!

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.