Something little, something different

Started by rickshaw, November 16, 2012, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Allow me to introduce you to the Hawker Siddeley Gnat T.2:

Equipped with two J-85 Turbojets, the Gnat T.2 was a development of the T.1 and designed to bring supersonic training to the RAF at a low cost.

The kit is the new Airfix Gnat.  I know everybody raved about it when it came out but I found it had terrible fit problems, particularly with the upper-wing to the fuselage.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TallEng

That's nice  :thumbsup:
And subtle too (like all the best whiffs) <_<
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

I like that mate - well done  :thumbsup:

As for fit. I've not built this kit but must admit some of the newer Airfix kits have had very tight fits when test fitting. Application of liquid poly seemed to make them slide into place .......ooooooh Mrs  :rolleyes: Not always but quite often on the ones I've built
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

DARN it Brian, that's exactly what I was planning with my new Gnat! Great minds think alike obviously.  ;D

What did you use for the twin exhausts, the back end of a T-38/F-5 perhaps? It SO suits the shape of the aircraft itself and you've done a great job on it too.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

That's one GREAT idea, and kudos for pulling it off!  :wub:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2012, 05:20:35 AM
DARN it Brian, that's exactly what I was planning with my new Gnat!

Well, you could always add longer wings...  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on November 17, 2012, 05:44:22 AM
Well, you could always add longer wings...  ;D

Hehe, now there's a radical idea!  ;)

A Gnat PR3 perhaps, with a camera toting nose?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2012, 05:20:35 AM
DARN it Brian, that's exactly what I was planning with my new Gnat! Great minds think alike obviously.  ;D

What did you use for the twin exhausts, the back end of a T-38/F-5 perhaps? It SO suits the shape of the aircraft itself and you've done a great job on it too.  :thumbsup: :bow:

I used the bum off of a F-5B from PM models.  Underscale I know but it looks so nice on the back there.  Drop tanks off of a Hunter because two J-85s are quite thirsty.   :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on November 17, 2012, 06:24:55 AM
I used the bum off of a F-5B from PM models.  Underscale I know but it looks so nice on the back there.  Drop tanks off of a Hunter because two J-85s are quite thirsty.   :thumbsup:

Gotcha, that rear end looks just the part too, well done.  :thumbsup:

Maybe I'll instal an Avon in mine, with reaheat naturally, extend the wings and add a camera nose. By then I'll have a Folland built 2 seater Hunter FR10 of course.  ;D

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Its a shame there isn't a cheap single-seat Gnat around, perhaps a conversion for the Airfix one.  I reckon a single-seat Gnat with two J-85's would have been a real goer.   :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Is it possible to paint the rear of the canopy of a T1 so it looks like a single seater? Or does the presence of the rear seat still look blindingly obvious?

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 18, 2012, 02:19:15 AM
Is it possible to paint the rear of the canopy of a T1 so it looks like a single seater? Or does the presence of the rear seat still look blindingly obvious?

That's basically how I did my Gnat F2, Kit.  Check out the Gnat theme build thread.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

Nice job Rickshaw!   :thumbsup:

You can get something like a single seat Gnat by grafting the canopy and spine of an Airfix MiG-21 onto one.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

Lovely Gnat, sir.  The engines work a treat and good use of a PM kit.  Not the most sophisticated products but great for whiffery.

Quote from: Weaver on November 18, 2012, 05:20:07 AM
You can get something like a single seat Gnat by grafting the canopy and spine of an Airfix MiG-21 onto one.

Ooooh! That's a good idea, especially if it's done with the F-5 engines.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Army of One

Oh great stuff.....!!!! That will get more than a few glances n scratched heads when displayed......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Glenn Gilbertson