Kriegsmarine Hybrid-Battleship "Odin"

Started by nönöbär, June 17, 2012, 12:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

This model of the German Hybrid-Battleship Odin project was made around 1990.

The ship:

Obviously, this was no real project, so therefore nothing can be said about the "real" Odin....  ;D

More about the Odin, including some "technical data" can be found here:
https://www.german-navy.de/smb/scalemodels/ships/odin/index.html

The model:
After building the Hindenburg H-class battleschip and the Schneidheim O-class battlecruiser, I looked at the spare parts and wondered what to make from them. There was one Revell 1/570 Tirpitz hull left, plus some superstructure parts of the Tirpitz kit.
After several ideas, I finally came up with the hybrid warship: The forward part would be a more-or-less normal Bismarck/Tirpitz, while on the afterward par, there would be a hangar with an flight deck.
The hangar and flight deck were made from pastic sheets, for the superstructure I took the remaining parts of the Revell and Airfix Bismarck and Tripitz kits I had, plus some parts that were left when building the CVL Seydlitz.
Most difficult thing was to build the aircraft, as I wanted to have quite a mix of them on board, including some untypical ones. They were build form pastic parts, paper and I think they should be recognizable.

I used a "Tirpitz-Style" camo painting for the model.

The pics:

Port side: There is a Rheintochter R1 SAM missle launcher on the position of the forward secondary gun turret. Torpedo tubes are put on the location of the second secondary gun turret.

Port-Forward: Most of the original Tirpitz superstructure is kept as on the original.

Stern-Forward view: Several boats are located here.

Stern side: The aircraft lift and funnel are here. Btw, the Odin is powered by diesel engines.

Stern-Backward: Left of the flight deck, there is the automatic landing system.

Port-Backward view: Behind the superstructure is the flight control. It is build from an the admiral bridge of the Seydlitz when it was converted into a carrier.

Flightdeck: 4 Fieseler Fi 167 torpedo bombers are warming up their engines, behind it, three Junkers Ju 87 Stukas.

Flightdeck: Two Me 262 are ready for takeoff, behind a Go229 is towed towards the catapult. In front of the funnel, a Me110 nightfighter is parked.

On the list another Fi 167. A Focke-Achgelis Fa223 helicopter is waiting on its landing spot.

View inside the hangar deck: Left a Me 109T, right a Flettner FL 282 Kolibri. And yes, the hangar is also full of planes.

Topview of the Odin
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

tigercat

Great model and the miniature aircraft are great plus am a big fan of  german navy .de which I'm guessing is yours

Excellent work

RussC

Now this is how the Ise and Hyuga should have turned out ! Inspired shipbuilding, and I say that even if you didn't put a Horten 9 on her flight deck!  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: which is absolutely brilliant.

Between this and BBHN - 66, I'm getting urges to become a shipwright again, since my last 1/700 waterline build in 1977 !
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff

sequoiaranger

Of course I have known about this beauty for years, it being included as part of my "Furashita's Fleet" (by the way, in my recent game the "Odin" in my fleet sank the Dutch hybrid carrier "Molucca" in the Bay of Bengal!! Unfortunately, on its way back to Germany it got caught off the Cape of Good Hope by the 20" guns of the British battlecruiser "Superb".)

Though I applaud seeing the various aircraft types aboard, it strikes me as a little amusing to see biplanes with rocket/jets!! Plus, what a quartermaster's and mechanic's *NIGHTMARE* to service and supply parts for all those different aircraft!!

All that takes away nothing from a superbly conceived and exectuted model!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

ysi_maniac

I applaud too.

Beautiful, well conceived and executed. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Go4fun

Ser Goot mine Herr! This is an excellent build and I think you did great things.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

RussC

Quote from: sequoiaranger on June 19, 2012, 09:25:48 AM
Of course I have known about this beauty for years, it being included as part of my "Furashita's Fleet" (by the way, in my recent game the "Odin" in my fleet sank the Dutch hybrid carrier "Molucca" in the Bay of Bengal!! Unfortunately, on its way back to Germany it got caught off the Cape of Good Hope by the 20" guns of the British battlecruiser "Superb".)

Though I applaud seeing the various aircraft types aboard, it strikes me as a little amusing to see biplanes with rocket/jets!! Plus, what a quartermaster's and mechanic's *NIGHTMARE* to service and supply parts for all those different aircraft!!

All that takes away nothing from a superbly conceived and exectuted model!

Actually, in the spirit of the merchant raiders of the Kriegsmarine, there should even be some Spits and Hurricanes on the deck! Just to throw a curveball !
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

nönöbär

Thanks for the feedback......  :thumbsup:

This was the last of what-if ships I had made over a decade ago. But now NöNöBär's shipyard is currently in preperation for something new.... which I will post here soon.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de