Author Topic: Tintin 1/72 - Udet U-12 Flamingo... from scratch.  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Rick Lowe

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Tintin 1/72 - Udet U-12 Flamingo... from scratch.
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 07:33:14 pm »
Steve, I agree about the scratchbuilding - once you give it a go, even if the first few attempts turn to bin fodder, you gain skills and the next project/idea holds fewer fears.
You also get an 'eye' for how to break things down into manageable, doable bits.  :thumbsup:

Offline zenrat

• What Would Deadpool Do?
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 12:38:03 am »
Coming along very nicely. The 10 thou skin method with the ribs impressed from the rear works. I usually use a blunt pencil and lay the card on a pile of paper to allow the rib to form without damage. I also think scratch building is a rite of passage in modelling. Once you've cracked it you start to look at all sorts of former impossibilities from a different viewpoint.

Regards, Steve
Steve, I agree about the scratchbuilding - once you give it a go, even if the first few attempts turn to bin fodder, you gain skills and the next project/idea holds fewer fears.
You also get an 'eye' for how to break things down into manageable, doable bits.  :thumbsup:

Agreed.
You also get better at guestimation.
Fred

Another ill conceived, poorly thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 12:45:51 am »
Oh yes, very much agree!  ;)

Offline zenrat

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:53 am »
Here we go.  I scored the back of the panel  here with the tip of a round file.  It's subtle (I had to fiddle with the picture settings to get it to show up well) but to scale.  I'll be using this technique some more.  Good tip, thanks.
Stoopid Taxi WIP 13-01-2019 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Now, back to the Tintin...
Fred

Another ill conceived, poorly thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 08:18:17 am »

Here we go.  I scored the back of the panel  here with the tip of a round file.  It's subtle (I had to fiddle with the picture settings to get it to show up well) but to scale.  I'll be using this technique some more.  Good tip, thanks.

Glad it worked, and you'll probably find they show up better when it's painted.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline strobez

• Targeted for assassination by JMNs
  • "Oh, that shouldn't be too hard to do..."
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 03:03:57 pm »
That looks like it would've worked better than what I did, which was just glue the ribs on the outside and then slope the sides with putty... Wish I'd done this technique, but live and learn I guess.

We're past that stage now though, I'm afraid.  In fact we just started to veer off from a real-world Udet U-12 Flamingo, and into the realm of Herge's imagination...
So the first thing to do was cut a pilot notch(?) in the upper wing, just like it shows in the book.

Then I added some vents to the side of the cowling.  There should be three, but I only added two by mistake... oh, well, no one will notice.  Also I scrounged up some wheels leftover from my first Area 88 1/144 B-1 build... so that should work, right?

Finally, using some two-part epoxy putty... and we’ve got a couple of huge juicy spats.  Some sanding and shaping will be required, but that stuff gets sticky fast and I figured a bit more that could be sanded back would be better than not quite enough.

Thanks!

Greg

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 10:45:09 pm »
Spats!! Where's BdB when he's needed?

Coming along nicely - keep it up!

Offline zenrat

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 01:41:50 am »
Mmmmmm, spats...
Fred