Author Topic: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'  (Read 101042 times)

Offline McColm

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'
« Reply #1290 on: October 28, 2018, 03:05:44 pm »
Sunday 28th October 2018

Surprise, yes I've changed the role of the Convair Peacemaker to Goalkeeper AEW. I've used the large radome from the Heller EC-121 kit on the upper fuselage to fill a hole. The resin engines from the Anigrand Martin SeaMaster are a good fit on top of the XB-35 wing. Two more B-52G engines will be fitted on the vertical tail fin. The vacform engines from the Airmodel Martin SeaMaster when placed on the fuselage side make a similar cheek bulge of the SLAR radar fitted to the RC-135V/W Joint Rivet.

I've decided to use the EC-97 Stratofreighter as a testbed for the Boeing E-3:AWACS as the Hawkeye rotodome will be used on another whiff. I will change the tail layout to twin fins. I have used some of the resin engine conversion parts for the Tu-4 Bull on the mismatch set and come up with a powerplant of my own. It's not pretty but it works
 I think 2019 will be the year of my finished builds, followed by some 1!144 whiffery .

Offline McColm

« Reply #1291 on: November 03, 2018, 04:57:06 pm »
Saturday 3rd November 2018
One more week of jumbled shifts. I wake up when it's dark and go home in the dark.
However with this sleep deficiency I'm finding more model kits that I never knew I had.
The Roden 1/72 An-12 Cub and the Sanger vacform kits..
I'm not too sure if anyone from this forum has built this kit
I'm surprised that is a lot smaller than the Lockheed C-130.
The kit that I have gives you the option of rear gun turret, removed or retained. I've also got aftermarket tyres.
It liooks over engineered with the fuselage instead of just two halves, it's in four parts. Seats, roof details and a rear loading ramp is also provided .
I'm thinking of a AEW & C platform, if I keep the loading ramp open I can add extra details inside.
Another whiff for 2019.

Offline McColm

« Reply #1292 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:45 am »
Wednesday 7th November 2018

As I keep telling myself no more kits until I have built what's in my stash .
Well when you see bargains you've just got to buy them and at those prices, I won't see them again.
In the goodie bag;
Revell 1/200 Boeing SST with Pan Am decals.
This is my third set, my first I had to sell, the second was damaged and no decals. I used parts from a Revell 1/144 BAC Concorde and it's a case of adding bits to make something decent.
As to the 1/72 Academy C-97,this will a AEW &C carrying the same rotodome as the Boeing E-3 Sentry but with a different stand.
1/72 Airfix Avro Shackleton MR2, this will become a passenger airliner with Dan Air decals. The square windows replaced with round ones. Two engines instead of the usual four.
Another attempt at the Sea Victor. If my calculations are correct by removing the bomb bay and trimming the side fuselage parts, the Victor should slot over the  Wiking flying boat which is also a 1/72 vacform kit.
 As to the Air Ferry made from the 1/72 Revell kit, I have four hybrid engines that should fit.
Been after a BAe 146 for ages, I flew on a British Airways one to Jersey in the Channel Islands and I was well impressed, as for the Viscount , straight out of the box.

Offline McColm

« Reply #1293 on: November 08, 2018, 01:38:05 pm »
Thursday 8th November 2018

A few months ago I started work on the 1/72 Monogram Rockwell B-1B Lancer converting it into a VG flying boat.
I have to admit that I thought this was a whiff. Not so, research shows that the Russians were experimenting with something very similar but in a fixed wing layout. Although no prototype was built, drawings suggest that the engines were mounted on the vertical tail fin.
I'll see if I can prise the engines free and use them on the Convair B-36 Peacekeeper..

Offline McColm

« Reply #1294 on: November 09, 2018, 01:45:07 pm »
Friday 9th November 2018

It's a bit nasty outside with the rain and cold wind down in Erith tonight .

I found my 1/72 Mach2 Martin PBM Mariner. The twin tail fins have snapped off and the teardrop radome is also bit damage but I will change this to the Spin top of the Grumman E-2A Hawkeye.
I have also found a replacement set of twin fins from another model.
I did look on eBay to check prices between the Mach2 and Academy kits. They are almost the same price. Although you can get them a bit cheaper in the USA .
Hasegawa used to sell the Martin Marlin, which you can still get secondhand, there are differences between the the two models but if you were to add the twin fins and remove the vertical tail fin, you can make the prototype.
Although still a bit pricey is the Mach2 Convair PB2-Y Coronado. It makes a reasonable model and has great whiffing presence, after the parts are cleaned up.
 Well that's next years resolution gone out the window .

I think the Airfix Shackleton will be a better donor  kit for the Welsh Dragon.

Offline McColm

« Reply #1295 on: November 17, 2018, 11:58:20 am »
Saturday 17th November 2018

Just been on line to some research on the Boeing SST 2707.
There's a life sized mock up at the Hiller Aviation Museum, USA. This would be worth a visit.
Whilst checking out the images there's what appears to be the Lockheed version in a dessert boneyard, I'm not too sure what the fate of this aircraft.
 Which gives me an idea, I now have one unbuilt set, one built but slightly damaged pair and one swept wing minus the vertical tail fin and engines.
I might be able to kitbash this with 1/144 Concorde parts and restore the damaged pair which are painted in Pan Am livery.
The spare decals could be used on a 1/144 Concorde .