Author Topic: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'  (Read 113064 times)

Offline McColm

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: McColm: what I'm working on, started and nearly finished 'Blog'
« Reply #1350 on: March 19, 2019, 01:45:13 pm »
Tuesday 19th March 2019

I finally tracked down a copy of the Airfix magazine dated January 1972 which features the Avro Lincoln conversion in 1/72 scale which has all the correct number of pages.
The article uses the Frog Shackleton MR. 3 for the wings and engines, parts from the 1/72 Lancaster and  Halifax.  There's a detailed drawing on the middle pages with lots of information on reshaping the scavenged parts.
An early version of the Halifax's twin tail fins would make for an interesting whiff when added to the Contrail  Avro Lincoln.
 I don't think I have ever built a 1/72 Halifax before,  that's added to the 'to do list '.

Offline McColm

« Reply #1351 on: March 23, 2019, 01:16:33 am »
Saturday  23rd March 2019

I've seen the  1/72 Avro  Lancastrian  Nene  engine conversion set advertised on Ebay and this would work on my  Avro Lincoln  Mk35 project.
 I wonder if any of the Airfix  BAe Nimrod parts will fit on the  new Mach2 de Havilland Comet kits? Apart from the cockpit seats  and landing wheels nothing else would fit on the  Sud Caravelle. As there's a few Comrod  Whiffs that I would like to build,  if not a  civilian version of the  Nimrod.
 I'll be glad to get back on my usual rosta,  as I won't have to ask myself why I added those parts to some of my started builds,  when I was dog tired?
 As to the weather down in Erith Kent,  it's been four seasons in one day including hailstones  and bright sunshine. 

Offline McColm

« Reply #1352 on: March 25, 2019, 10:11:47 am »
Monday 25th March 2019

I'm not too sure if the Avro York was ever fitted with a pair of floats but I found a pair for the 1/72 Consolidated National Express project.  It's the  Contrail Avro York York vacform fuselage mated with the wings from a B-24 Liberator. The tail fins are from a Grumman E-2. I under estimated the ground clearance hence the floats.
 The renamed Maverick is now referred to as the Avro Shackiteer with its 4 turbofaned engines from two A-10 scrap models, two at the rear and the other two on the inner mount which used have the landing gear for the Avro Shackleton MR. 3. To stop it being a tail sitter tyre weights have been glued where the cockpit interior goes. The landing gear and wheels have been glued in place.
As to the Shorts  Cadillac the Lincoln tail fins are now in place.

Offline McColm

« Reply #1353 on: March 28, 2019, 12:13:19 am »
Thursday 28th March 2019

I didn't intend to build 5 heavies  but once the juices get flowing you can't stop yourself.  Yes there's been a lot of recycling and whiffery.
The Airfix Short Stirling does look good with 4 Rolls-Royce Merlin engines and the twin tail fins from a Lancaster/Lincoln,  the Avro York works well with the  Shackleton wings and twin tail fins,  the engines are from the Lincoln conversion kit.
The vacform Avro Lincoln keeps surprising me with what parts I can use when the fuselage is strengthened although sanding will be done in stages.
The Contrail Avro York with the B-24 Liberator wings and engines didn't look out of place either. The floats give it a 'Bush Plane ' feel,  whilst the nose engine hides the nose weight. I have used the metal propellers from the York kit on the wings and found a B-24 engine with its propellers attached..
The Revell Avro Shackleton MR. 3 kit has undergone a radical change to a tailless design but adding the four T33 engines from various A-10 kits does it justice.
 Now we come to the trickiest build so far the Roden An-10/12 .I have changed the engines to 4 Rolls-Royce Griffons. PSR is slowly becoming a routine.
I'II opt for the rattle can when it comes to the paint stage.
 Clocks go forward an hour for BST and it's Mothering Sunday as well in the UK.

Offline McColm

« Reply #1354 on: April 06, 2019, 08:36:01 am »
Saturday 6th April  2019

I'm  back,  that was scary not being able to access this site.  Loads of started builds that are now nearing completion and a few recycled.
 The Airfix Short Stirling now has longer wings thanks to an extension with the Revell Avro Shackleton MR.3 wing which was used in the Contrail Avro Lincoln Mk35 build. I have also added parts from the Combat Kit Avro Lancastrian-Nene Engine conversion set but I'm saving the engines for another project.
So the Avro Cadillac has a longer nose.
 I also started a 1/72 Grumman S-2 Tracker and added the rotodome from the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye with stand.  The vertical tail fin has been cut and reduced,  reglued into place. Which is now an ES-2 Tracker and not an E-1C Tracer.

Offline Tophe

• my what-if models
« Reply #1355 on: April 06, 2019, 08:56:23 am »
I have also added parts from the Combat Kit Avro Lancastrian-Nene Engine conversion set
Interesting and not well known. I was hoping it would be asymmetric but Google shows me not : http://aviastar.org/air/england/avro_lancastrianjet.php
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]