Author Topic: Scorpion Family  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Scorpion Family
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 06:43:21 pm »
The actual reason was political.  The Conventional Forces in Europe arms reduction treaty considered anything with a gun bigger than 75mm towards the total for tanks which each signatory was allowed.  So, the choice was either a Scorpion with a 76mm gun or a Challenger with a 120mm gun.  Guess which won?

So that would account for the sudden demise of the Saladin armoured car?

The Saladin was gone from British service long before CFE.
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline rickshaw

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 06:51:46 pm »
The actual reason was political.  The Conventional Forces in Europe arms reduction treaty considered anything with a gun bigger than 75mm towards the total for tanks which each signatory was allowed.  So, the choice was either a Scorpion with a 76mm gun or a Challenger with a 120mm gun.  Guess which won?

So that would account for the sudden demise of the Saladin armoured car?

The Saladin was gone from British service long before CFE.

It was still held in War Emergency Reserve Stocks though, which is why there were a sudden glut of Saladins on the private market, along with many other "out of service" vehicles at the time.   They were still counted towards the totals for the Treaty.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Offline rickshaw

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 06:55:53 pm »
Yeah, I've heard of RARDEN thumb - it's not a popular weapon for all sorts of reasons....

It's interesting that the British would be the only nation to design such a dangerous weapon clearing procedure.

Oh I don't know: the Russians are quite good at "dangerous to user" too....

You'd think a simple stick would be better than using your thumb? Obviously call it something else, but it would just be a length of wood or metal you'd poke into the breech? Or is that too sensible? :rolleyes:

Too sensible.   A stick with a right-angle on the end.  Problem though, would be it would always be not where it's needed, when it's needed.  Lost, broken, stolen ("but it makes a wonderful stand for the Billy over the campfire!"  "Needed some kindling", etc.  :banghead: ).  Thumbs don't do that.  Soldiers, being soldiers, they'll always use the most convenient even if dangerous tool to do the job.   I'd have suggested a breech indicator - up, when something's in the breech, down when there isn't anything there.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 02:10:49 am »
It was more an issue that the breech would close of it's own accord as there wasn't a manual lock to hold it back.

When we built the rig for Fort Halstead we had an auxiliary jack that positioned a damn great bar in front of some part of the weapon that stopped it closing even it tried. Working out the interlock chain to ensure the bar was retracted BEFORE we 'fired' it was an interesting exercise!  ;D
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline MAD

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 01:59:45 am »
Having had a bit of a hunt around I suspect its actually a Stormer 90 - which mounted a 90mm gun (although the first post's picture appears to be missing its muzzle brake.

I would have said it was based on the AMX-10P APC chassis 

M.A.D