Gloster Gladiator III

Started by kitbasher, November 11, 2011, 02:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Gloster Gladiator III L3011, GO-D, 94 Sqn RAF, Habbaniya, Iraq 1941
The Gladiator III was the Kestrel-engined version of the last biplane fighter to enter service with the RAF.  It saw exclusive use in the Middle East, notably during the Anglo-Iraq war of 1941 and the siege of Habbaniya.

Model built using the Airfix Gladiator I with Airfix Fairey Battle nose fitted to represent the Kestrel and replacement vac-form canopy.  Propeller comes from the remains of an Airfix Boulton-Paul Defiant, undercarriage spats is an Aeroclub Gloster Gauntlet spatted undercarriage set and the tail wheel is from a long lost Ventura Spitfire FR.18.  Markings from generic Modeldecal sets apart from the serial, which is from the spares box (originally part of the Revell/FROG Skua sheet)

My first attempt at riggng a biplane, by the way.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Big Gimper

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

The Rat

Very nice, and with intimidating spats too!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

TallEng

Excellent :thumbsup:
It would also look really good in pre-war Silver with full colour Sqn markings...  :wacko:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

James

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Ed S

Very plausible and realistic. A well done WHIFF.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Nick

tanktastic43

Pablo1965

Thou hast killed, you've hurt me. you´ve showm me that I am not as original as I thought, I had put in the box to my Gladiator, the engine of a Spit. Hehehe. Well, in any way, your plane is a very nice plane, and very well done. It  have very nice shape. I surrendered to the charms of this beauty.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

redstar72

Nice work! :thumbsup:
Maybe the engine is Merlin, not Kestrel?
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

Hotte

The logical further development of the Gladiator!
Reminiscent of the Fiat CR. 42 with DB 601.
Very nice!

Hotte

kitbasher

Quote from: redstar72 on November 12, 2011, 12:14:51 AM
Nice work! :thumbsup:
Maybe the engine is Merlin, not Kestrel?

The cowling is indeed from the Merlin-powered Fairey Battle, but it has been reprofiled quite a bit.  If you look at the Hawker Hart family's Kestrel cowlings, you'll see the shape I was aiming to replicate.  Both the Kestrel and the Merlin were, as you'll know, Rolls-Royce products.

And thanks to you all for the very kind comments.

;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

I like this a lot, I think I know what I'll do with the nose off the Defiant when I upgrade that kit with the DB Products conversion
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 12, 2011, 01:28:48 PM
I like this a lot, I think I know what I'll do with the nose off the Defiant when I upgrade that kit with the DB Products conversion

Yes, that was Plan A.  Then I got a Battle + resin replacement nose and decided to sell the Defiant (Hobbes bought it).
There was a point in th ebuild when the u/c and the bottom wing were on when I thought how much it looked like the Hawker Monoplane Fury design that was a precursor of the Hurricane.  Tempted to rework my Gloster Guardian (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21074.msg299159.html#msg299159) by fitting a Merlin off something and replacing the Kittyhawk wings with Hurricane items.