UNMOGIP - United Nations Military Observer Group India & Pakistan - RAAF

Started by rickshaw, October 14, 2011, 03:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

From the forthcoming "Official History of Australian Peace Keeping Operatings, 1946-2010" by Professor David Horner:

UNITED NATIONS MILITARY OBSERVER GROUP INDIA & PAKISTAN (UNMOGIP)

Australian Deployment Dates: 13 August 1948 to 1985.

Strength: Approx 280 ADF personnel including, 96 RAAF personnel with the UNMOGIP Air Unit with an RAAF DHC-4 Caribou (1975 - 79) provided from 38 Squadron.

Area of Operations (AO): India, Pakistan and Kashmir.

Purpose: To supervise the first ceasefire between India and Pakistan in Kashmir, and has remained in place ever since, as Kashmir remains 'territory in dispute' under international law. Australia provided 6 man Observer teams serving one or two year tours of duty. During the Vietnam War, Army reservists were used to man the contingent, as the army's resources were stretched fighting in the Vietnam War.

Comments: Of note, the first and longest serving commander of UNMOGIP was Australian Major General (later Lieutenant General), R.H. Nimmo CBE, who was appointed the Chief Military Observer (CMO) UNMOGIP in October 1950, and he remained in command until his death on 4 January 1966. His 15 year command is a UN record and one unlikely to ever be broken.

In March 1975 to January 1979, an RAAF detachment from the 38th Squadron, comprising 12 men and several HP 224 Military Heralds conducted operations in support of UNMOGIP on 6-month rotations.

In 1985 the contingent was withdrawn because the government considered Australia was overcommitted to the UN at that time.

The model is of a HP 224 Military Herald from 38 Squadron in 1976 during the first deployment from that Squadron to Kashmir.

The kit - A 1/72 Novo HP Dart Herald combined with the tail from a 1/100 C-160 Transall.  The canopy is scratchbuilt using clear PVA glue and plasticard for the frame.  Special thanks to Kitnut617 for the United Nations markings.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Looks the part Brian.  Now you'll have to do a 'Pizza' one!

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

No thanks.  The HP Herald is a relatively rare kit and it shows its age!  Its a cow of thing to put together properly.  Adding the tail off a different aircraft didn't help matters either.   It wasn't an enjoyable build.   I'm now doing something much nicer.

Maverick

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

rickshaw

Heller.  Part of the problem is that the Transall's fuselage is wider than the Herald's.  It took a bit of widening of the Herald's and a bit of narrowing of the Transall's to make it work and a lot of PSR.  I then had to straighten the wings to compensate for the widening.

kitnut617

Very nice Brian ---  :thumbsup:

And the fuselage joint is very good and very brave to go with an all white scheme.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Very nice Brian, I did the Maquette boxing of that, and it was an interesting build shall we say. Your surgery looks flawless too so hats off to you for adding insult to injury  :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

anthonyp

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

apophenia

Quote from: anthonyp on October 14, 2011, 02:44:07 PM
Very nice   :wub: :thumbsup: :wub: :thumbsup:

Agreed! All that PSR was not in vain -- she's a beaut  :thumbsup:

(I always thought that the ramped Herald was a 'should've been'.)

DarrenP

really nice.     :bow:
so what would the time line for the Militarised Herald be?

Captain Canada

Yes...very nice ! I thought the tail looked a lot like a transall. Looks right at home on the a/c. I think my LHS has one I should really buy it just because.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?