Defender MkIV ??

Started by Old Wombat, September 09, 2011, 07:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

OK, I'm having a shot at a  plane, this time.

It's in 1/72 (a scale I'm having difficulty with due to aging eyes) & it's British & comprised of parts of 3 kits (2a+1b).

That's all I'm saying, so far.

Here are some (poor quality) early-ish pic's.

So, any comments at this stage? :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Maverick

Looks like an interesting ship.  I'm assuming no turret?  It kinda has that DH.88 Comet feel to it.

Regards,

Mav

Old Wombat

It had a turret... before I InProg modified it. ;)

James

Looks good – think I know where the engines/nacelles came from. What is its role? Heavy fighter I'm guessing but I'm sure it could be a fighter-bomber?

Old Wombat

Ooh, do I give this away or not? :unsure:

Hmmmm? :-\

OK, it's a night fighter. 4x20mm cannons will be fitted in an underbelly bulge (a big step up from the original armament). Nose is covering an early-model housed radar unit (No, I don't know what mark). :blink:

Slerski

She looks very nice. You must have been very patient with the cut-glue-putty-sanding work.  :thumbsup:
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

James

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 09, 2011, 08:05:19 AM
Ooh, do I give this away or not? :unsure:

Hmmmm? :-\

OK, it's a night fighter. 4x20mm cannons will be fitted in an underbelly bulge (a big step up from the original armament). Nose is covering an early-model housed radar unit (No, I don't know what mark). :blink:

Great. Keep the rest a secret. Will keep an eye on this one.

deathjester

:blink: That looks stunning so far - and I'm intrigued by those engine nacelles!  Looking forward to seeing this one finished :thumbsup:

Mossie

Several bits from the Airfix Defiant.  Looks like you've used skinny engines, fuselage & wings from two kits?

So that's the 2a I think, 1b I'm not sure of but that tail shape looks familiar & it's bugging me.... :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Pablo1965

In my humble opinion, the space between the engines and the fuselage is a bit larger than desired but the ratio between the length of the engine and the fuselage is ideal. I love this plane, and I think it will be an incredible game of many different uses, such as photographic reconnaissance, interdiction, and even ground support. Awesome plane  :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow:

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on September 09, 2011, 01:41:39 PM
Several bits from the Airfix Defiant.  Looks like you've used skinny engines, fuselage & wings from two kits?

So that's the 2a I think, 1b I'm not sure of but that tail shape looks familiar & it's bugging me.... :banghead:

Looks like the tail end of a Dinah ---  :unsure:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

tc2324

Looks like a Westland Whirlwinds `beefed up` brother.

Looking forward to the end result.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

The Rat

I don't care what you used to get this far, I just want to see it finished!  :thumbsup: :cheers: :party:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

Sorry, kitnut, but the Dinah is Japanese & this baby is all Brit! ;)

Quote from: tc2324 on September 09, 2011, 03:23:17 PMLooks like a Westland Whirlwinds `beefed up` brother.

I like that analogy better than mine; I've been tending to think of it as the Mosquito's skinny cousin. ;D

Nothing done today & maybe not until Tuesday (AusTime) with work et alia getting in the way. :rolleyes:

(God, I hate PSR! :banghead:)

buzzbomb

Niiiiice!!!

It is certainly looking ok.
Great use of Apoxy sculpt or similar for the fairing in.
I reckon bits of the Airfix PE-2 in there.. particularly the engines, along with Defiant.

But Womby.. it matters not keep going, I really want to see how this finishes up.