TSR.2 trainer

Started by Nigel Bunker, February 17, 2011, 05:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel Bunker

I was thinking about making a trainer version of our favourite plane. Looking at the trainer drawing in Damien's book, that's one big piece of unsupported perspex. Would it have been a one piece canopy or would it have had some metal support bars or was it two inches thick? And does anybody know of a comparable one piece canopy on another aircraft of that period?
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Someone mentioned using the Airfix TSR.2MS canopy as a basis for a smash form.  I think the real one was slightly different, I believe the sills were made a little more shallow?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

Voodoo or Phantom might work?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

Quote from: Mossie on February 17, 2011, 09:20:02 AM
Someone mentioned using the Airfix TSR.2MS canopy as a basis for a smash form.  I think the real one was slightly different, I believe the sills were made a little more shallow?

That may have been me untill I found out that someone had done a one piece canopy. No one will be able to tell if the canopy not quite right if it is in the open position which is what I plan to do.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The B-47 had a monster canopy, quite a bit bigger than the TSR2 I'd guess, but of course there is only the Hasegawa kit (which probably costs over £100 by now......  :banghead:) but I have an idea that Falcon do a B-47 canopy in one of their sets.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

A 48th Gnat canopy is almost, but not quite, right. IIRC (and I'm sure TsrJoe will correct me) but Folland did the design work for the TSR2 trainer canopy.

I have a resin plug somewhere (found it t'other day) if someone wants to use it as a basis to adapt intoa master plug for a vacform canopy.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

rickshaw

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 17, 2011, 11:11:04 AM
A 48th Gnat canopy is almost, but not quite, right. IIRC (and I'm sure TsrJoe will correct me) but Folland did the design work for the TSR2 trainer canopy.

I have a resin plug somewhere (found it t'other day) if someone wants to use it as a basis to adapt intoa master plug for a vacform canopy.

Who does a 1/48 Gnat (I assume two seater)?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Nigel Bunker

When I was asking about a comparable sized canopy, it was not to use on a model but to see how an unsupported canopy that size behaved. Unless it was quite thick, I believe it would have suffered from problems of flexing at high speed.

The Wooksta!

IIRC, the trainer would have been limited to mach 1.3.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

DamienB

The trainer canopy is not that big - additional locking hooks on the sill (just forward of the aft edge of the existing inter-canopy structure) and strengthened sills and hinge points were the only measures considered necessary by the designers and bear in mind that 'unsupported perspex' (it wasn't perspex - preferred choice was acrylic) was mounted on a pretty chunky bit of metal. Also as per the diagram on page 313, it had twin powered hydraulic jacks to raise the canopy unlike the single self-balanced jacks of the strike version. The thicker metalwork at the rear end of the canopy dealt with much of the structural loads and also hid an expansion joint that allowed the acrylic to expand slightly as it warmed up. Acrylic material thickness was 0.5". The one-piece acrylic canopy was also unsuitable for electrical demisting so it would not have been golden in appearance.

As for speed limits, these were because of the thermal limits on the acrylic canopy, not any weakness of its structure. Brochure suggested limits of 0.8M at sea level, 1.6 at 40,000 ft but the RAF were prepared to accept 450 kt IAS, a maximum of M1.4 at altitude. However, bearing in mind the comments elsewhere in the book on stability at higher Mach numbers and the reduced top speeds in the revised specification, who knows what sort of limits could have been in place for the trainer!

JayBee

NB,

What scale are you looking to build it in?

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TsrJoe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)

i concur with Damien's notes above tho too re the canopy description, there were 3 designs shown in the files ranging frm flat through to quite a marked bulging, the one selected for development seemingly beween the two (see Damien's excellent TSR.2 volume for details)
just a snippet, the ICI tradenames of 'perspex' and 'lexan' have been on common use for years for acrylic and polycarbonate materials, even to the extent of official papers citing 'perspex' where the more general term acrylic would be more suitable (i'll admit to using the terms interchangably myself in my professional work environ too  :blink:) its ok we know what you ment

cheers, Joe

ps. def agree with Lee, the 48 Gnat canopy is ideal for a 72 TSR.2 trainer one, id happily vacuform up a batch if someone has a suitable master

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TsrJoe on February 18, 2011, 06:28:39 AM
id happily vacuform up a batch if someone has a suitable master

That'd be anyone who has a Stratos 4 then  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nigel Bunker

QuoteNB,

What scale are you looking to build it in?

Jim

72 scale, and I had planned on moulding my own canopy rather than robbing another kit.