Author Topic: Whiffs found surfing  (Read 241853 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Armour: The Gods of War love it!
Re: Whiffs found surfing
« Reply #1965 on: March 15, 2019, 05:10:56 am »
I'm far from being a prude but I can't say I'm impressed with the tail art or "home carrier" options the builder's taken, crass is the term that comes to mind to describe it. :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline Snowtrooper

• Makes own decals
Re: Whiffs found surfing
« Reply #1966 on: March 15, 2019, 09:03:40 am »
Strong situations require strong words, and IRL I swear too much and am opposed to all kinds of censorship (and I'm glad that they don't beep four-letter words on air around here) but this isn't such a case, it's simply bad taste. If using random squadron/carrier name from leftover decal stash was not an option, and there had to be a joke involved, I would still have preferred double entendre over this kind of "humour".

A good example of a joke of this kind done right is in IL-2 Forgotten Battles (IIRC it's on Pacific Fighters or later, like the 1946 collection) on PC: on certain US planes you can choose to decorate your plane with a variety of classical-style nose art, one of which is a completely innocuous-looking pinup girl sitting in a bathtub, with the text "Tub Girl". It's only if you are old enough to remember one of those original "shock images" from dialup days when you get the joke (do NOT google at work if you don't). Needless to say, a scaled-down photo or a faithfully drawn rendering of the original image would not have been funny at all.