Harrier FA.2 - Finished!

Started by Hobbes, November 24, 2010, 06:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolluxDeltaSeven

Great impressive work!!
The missiles are fabulous but... what the frak is a SRAAM missile?  :-\ i can't find anything on it on Google  :unsure:
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Hobbes

Hi Pollux,

missile info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Siddeley_SRAAM

(surprising that this didn't come up in your search; it's one of the first search results on google.com. Are you using Google.fr? )

PolluxDeltaSeven

Thanks for the link, I just found it this morning at work (you're right, we're using Google.com at work while I'm still with Google.fr at home)

Interessting story! So it's the ancestor of the ASRAAM. I really like the tube launcher system, looks very cool. Remind me a giant Stinger launcher ;)
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Hobbes

In the 1960s, Germany became increasingly worried about the vulnerability of its airbases. Being so close to the Soviet sphere of influence, they would have had scant minutes of warning before an attack. Initial experiments with ZELL had disappointing results.

The 1967 Six-day War changed that; from then on the Bundesluftwaffe invested heavily in ways to defeat a surprise attack. Their participation in the Hawker-Siddeley Kestrel trials led to an initial purchase of several squadrons' worth of Harrier GR.1s. The Germans also pressured Hawker to develop a fighter variant. In 1974, the Harrier F.4 entered service, featuring A.I.23 radar and Red Top missiles (up to six missiles could be carried on the underwing pylons). From 1978, F.4s were rebuilt as Harrier F.6, with Blue Fox radar (developed initially for the Royal Navy's Sea Harrier requirement) and SRAAM missiles. This version also featured an early datalink for communication with AEW assets (including the Dornier Do 33, a VTOL aircraft that used four Pegasus engines and a radar system derived from the E-2 Hawkeye).

In 1988, the Harrier F.8 became the last of the all-metal first-generation Harriers. This was an upgrade of existing airframes with the Blue Vixen radar, giving them the option to fire AMRAAM.

The Germans operated the fighter variant in mixed squadrons with ground attack Harriers. Groups of 4 ground attack Harriers and 2 fighters would be deployed to forward bases, hidden in woods, along highways or on industrial estates. The Germans developed an efficient system for setting up these bases on short notice (in addition to having a multitude of prepared locations). Groups containing only fighters were also deployed. The Harrier became a familiar sight in the German skies, zipping around at low altitudes and parking seemingly everywhere. Their unpredictable deployment schedule (often leaving major air bases completely empty of aircraft) has been called a major contribution to the lack of a Soviet invasion.

The aircraft shown here is an F.8, carrying 2 AMRAAM and 4 SRAAM.

The kit is the Airfix 1:72 SHAR FA.2. The decals have been borrowed from a Revell Typhoon, and an Airfix VC-10. You know that black border Airfix uses around the edge of its decalsheets? I used that to put the black stripes on the missile launchers.

kitnut617

Great looking model Harro  :bow: , I like the concept too   :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Keith Diamond

Great work!  I love the camo scheme and its a convincing Whif!
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Hobbes

The camo scheme is copied from the Luftwaffe Tornado

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

Great to see it finished.....!! Well done....love the scratch built launchers.... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sandiego89

Great concept!  Love all things Harrier/Sea Harrier.  
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Don't know why I missed this one finishing.... :unsure:

Anyway, nice one! it's an excellent idea, excellently realised. :thumbsup:

(Germany really, really should have bought the Harrier (and the Lightning, and the Buccaneer...) shouldn't they?  :rolleyes:)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.