Airfix SRN4-Hovercraft ideas

Started by McColm, October 06, 2010, 06:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

1970s SR.N4 Mk 4 Minesweeper proposal, dimensionally similar to the Mk.1 as represented in the Airfix kit. ( corrected per JMN  ;) ).
Note the 20mm cannon, these were to be mounted in bow cutouts. Jane's Surface Skimmers 1976-77.

Bell SK-10 3-view. Jane's Surface Skimmers 1967-68.

PR19_Kit

[JMN mode on]

The Airfix kit is actually a Mk1, it has the narrower centre section and the non-widened car deck on the inside. The outer hull dimensions are identical though.

[JMN mode off]  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 07, 2010, 12:45:39 PM
1970s SR.N4 Mk 4 Minesweeper proposal, dimensionally similar to the Mk.1 as represented in the Airfix kit. ( corrected per JMN  ;) ).
Note the 20mm cannon, these were to be mounted in bow cutouts. Jane's Surface Skimmers 1976-77.

Bell SK-10 3-view. Jane's Surface Skimmers 1967-68.

Thanks, :bow:

McColm

Just for nostalgia;

McColm

McColm

I just won one of these on ebay!!

Maverick

Funnily enough, I have some art of various GEVs.  Might have to knock some up when I get free time!!

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

What surprises me is just how few scale models there are hovercraft.   Airfix did 2 and there are about half a dozen more from various manufacturers in injection moulding form, in various scales.  I'd have expected more.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Hobbes

There weren't that many successful hovercraft types to begin with, and only a few are left in service these days. The Isle of Wight ferry is the only commercial service left in the UK.

kitnut617

Canadian Coast Guard use a fleet of hovercraft, they work quite well as ice breakers apparently --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

I think the Russians have a few.

rallymodeller

The Hoverwork AP1-88/400 Mamilossa-- one of the designs the CCG uses -- is one of my fave hovercraft designs. It already looks like some sort of assault craft:

There's a loading ramp out front with a space about the size of an old LCI behind it/ahead of the cockpit/bridge. Wish someone would do a kit of it...

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on May 23, 2011, 03:44:32 AM
I just won one of these on ebay!!

Well done, how much was it? Not too pricey I hope?

Now you know what I meant about the HUNDREDS of pieces.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

The RNLI have rescue hovercraft too, very useful for operating on mudflats.  They have seven, with four in service at any given time.  Much more compact than the CCG versions.  I believe it's their own design (usual with the RNLI) & not an off the shelf vessel.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mr.Creak

Quote from: Mossie on May 23, 2011, 02:40:16 PMI believe it's their own design (usual with the RNLI) & not an off the shelf vessel.
Modified Griffon Hoverwork Type 470TD.
What if... I had a brain?