Boeing 743-1: an asymmetric “old-747”

Started by Tophe, March 26, 2010, 10:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

A very long time ago, in spring 1976, I was 12 years old, and I built an Heller 1/125 Boeing 747, straight from the box, huge (2 ft long 1.5 ft wide), discovering paint (I did not know what putty is)...

It was at the ceiling of my bedroom, then aged 18 I moved and it went into a box. In 2005, my wife took it of its box and say: "no, don't throw it in the garbage can, it will be pretty here on the wall near the ceiling". I accepted, like for my 1/32 old models.
Now, to give an interest to these old big bad models, not matching my new modelling principles (what-if), I had converted all my 1/32 warbirds, and this week I decided to turn the 747 ASYMMETRIC!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

To show you how "good" I was at 12 y.o. let you see the details at short distance...
(simply childish work)

Tophe

And here is the result: Boeing 743-1 with 3 engines on starboard, 1 engine on port: (I like it, at a distance)

Tophe

PR19_Kit

Tophe,

I'm surprised you didn't take one tailplane off, the starboard one perhaps, and use it to increase the span of the opposite one.......  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2010, 01:53:35 PM
Tophe,

I'm surprised you didn't take one tailplane off, the starboard one perhaps, and use it to increase the span of the opposite one.......  -_-
Maybe increase the size of the rudder to keep it flying straight....or increase the crew's danger pay!! :rolleyes: :wacko:

The Rat

I've actually seen a 5-engine 747. Yep, you heard correctly, 5 engines.  :blink: There is an attachment point near the port wing root to which a spare engine can be attached in order to transport it to maintenance facilities. It's not hooked up to fuel lines, but it sure makes you do a double-take when one taxies past you!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

VC-10s could do that too.

They looked even more crazy with 4 engines at the back and one hung under the starboard wing root!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Quote from: The Rat on March 27, 2010, 06:58:21 AM
I've actually seen a 5-engine 747. Yep, you heard correctly, 5 engines.  :blink: There is an attachment point near the port wing root to which a spare engine can be attached in order to transport it to maintenance facilities. It's not hooked up to fuel lines, but it sure makes you do a double-take when one taxies past you!  ;D

I've seen that - it's actually quite common:

This on the other hand is a whiff:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Tophe

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Tophe on March 26, 2010, 10:20:42 AM
In 2005, my wife took it of its box and say: "no, don't throw it in the garbage can, it will be pretty here on the wall near the ceiling".

Let me just speak for all the guys here and ask you to give your loving wife a fond hug for all modelers everywhere.   :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 27, 2010, 02:12:23 PM
Quote from: Tophe on March 26, 2010, 10:20:42 AM
In 2005, my wife took it of its box and say: "no, don't throw it in the garbage can, it will be pretty here on the wall near the ceiling".

Let me just speak for all the guys here and ask you to give your loving wife a fond hug for all modelers everywhere.   :wub:

Baz speaks wisely!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

ysi_maniac

In my wish list,a 5 engine (4 in wings and 1 in tailfin) airliner has always been. I like that photoshoped pic :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.