Some Tempests, Typhoons and a Supermarine thing or two

Started by NARSES2, August 19, 2009, 05:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Now in my own little alt WWII scenario the French keep fighting after the fall of France in late 1940 from bases in their colonies. Although they managed to establish some aircraft manufacturing facilities in both N Africa and Canada they rely on a large extent to British manufactured aircraft. In my scenario the US gets hit with an early double whammy and has to rely on aircraft in production circa 1941 for a lot longer then they actually did and this means there is not as much "modern" stuff to spare, especially fighters, for the other allies until much latter on.

So if the Arme d'lAir had continued the struggle perhaps this is what Pierre Closterman would have been flying for EEC 3/10 based on Corsica in 1945 ?

Model is the Academy kit with the markings sourced from a Carpena Thunderbolt set and the spares box.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Now the Syrian AF were sold Spitfire 22's in the late 1940's but just supposing that instead of selling them these the British had handed over some Tempest F6's when they evacuated Palestine ?

This then is an ex 213 Sqd Tempest F6 operated in the air defence of Damascus circar 1949. It's still in the "desert scheme" of dark earth/light slate grey/medium sea grey as used by some aircraft in the theatre after the clashes with Isreali Spitfire IX's in 1948.

Model is again Academy with the LS Tempest F6 conversion set and markings from the Czechmaster Spitfire 22.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Again in my scenario the war on the Eastern Front all goes differently. Apart from kicking off almost a year later then in our world Turkey joins the Axis coalition in it's invasion as it still has a lot of old scores to settle. After the dsaster of Black Month and the coup that topples Stalin the "Rodina" goverment gradually stabilise the front and by 1944 are able to advance into Turkey and join the Anglo/French push North from Syria. A majority of Russian units on this front are equiped with Western aircraft as the Russian industry is still badly disrupted by the Axis advances.

This then is Hawker Typhoon of 158 Shap operating in Northern Anatolia circa Autumn 1944. Supplied from RAF stocks it retains it's standrad desert scheme but has been converted to use Russian made RS-82 rockets.

Academy kit with RS-82's from I think a Toko IL2 and the markings from the spares box.

tigercat2

NARSES2

Supermarine Spitefull in service with the Royal Hong Kong Auxillary AF circa 1949/1950

In real life the RHKAF operated Spitfire F22's from Kai Tak, this WIF just works on the basis of the Spitefull having entered service with the RAF and then been handed over as the previous owners converted to jets.

Model is AZ which has problems with the fit of the canopy and spinner, both are to wide or the fusalage (more likely) is to narrow but I enjoyed it. I do have another and she'll be SEAC once I put a shim all around the fusalage edge to widen it slightly.

Markings again are from the Czechmaster Spitfire F22

NARSES2

Final one

Supermarine 327 Shrike of 193 Sqd operating from Sicilly circa 1943.

Developed under the 6 cannon armed fighter Spec F18/37 the 327 finally entered service in late 1942 as the Shrike. The 6 20mm cannon buried in the wings proved troublesome mainly because of their exceptional close proximity to each other and in service the middle of each three was normally removed. The aircraft still had formidable concentrated firepower however with the advantage of slightly increased range.

Operating on fighter sweeps over Southern Italy and Sardinia the Shrike buit a reputation as a decent if not spectacular aircraft. However it was during the Allied advance up the Rhone Valley in 1946 that the remaining Shrikes came into their own. By now operating in the fighter bomber role with two 500lb bombs on underwing hardpoints and increased internal tankage in the wings they took heavy toll of Axis transport and troops retiring from the advancing Allies, being able to stay over the battlefield for longer periods then the single engined fighter bombers and the newer jets.

Model is the Unicraft one with a fair few additions and a lot of miliput to sort out miss-aligned nacells etc. Still I enjoyed her  ;D Markings are from the spares box - probably Academy.

NARSES2

Well thats it. I thouroughly enjoyed building this lot. Sure there are build errors on every one, but I realised my limitations a few years ago and there comes a point in all my builds where if I try and eleiminate that last little (or larger) flaw it becomes a chore not fun.

So there we go I have good and bad days skills wise, but hell I enjoy it  :drink:

Chris

kitnut617

A great job on a bunch of my favorite aircraft Chris, well done! I really like them all.  I hadn't realised that the Supermarine 327 had trike u/c, I may have to get me one of those fairly soon I think ---- hmm!
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChernayaAkula

Nice stuff! :thumbsup: All of 'em. Can't really say which one I like best, but I think the French Tempest is in the lead. Ever so lightly.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

thedarkmaster

Now i do like them all  :wub: :wub:, the back story is good, any chance of a timeline ?
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

nev

Another selection of beauties Chris :wub: :wub:

Cloisterman's mount is far and away the best though :wub:  The Syrian one, I can't help thinking would look saucy in NMF instead of camo.....

BTW, how many of those Academy Typhoon/Tempests have you built now?  Any chance of a shot of a line-up of 'em all?

Lastly, love the idea of the allies pushing to meet up around the Black Sea......mainly because it gives me all kinds of ideas for late war RAF planes in Desert Camo :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitbasher

Excellent bunch, well done Chris.  Love the Supermarine 327 - how long did it take to build it?  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

andrewj

Nice builds, especially the 327 and the Spiteful, lovely, bit of a Supermarine nut myself.

Brian da Basher

It's scary how "right" a Tiffie looks in French markings. I think this is one of my favorites of yours, Chris.

Very well done!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

NARSES2

Quote from: thedarkmaster on August 19, 2009, 10:02:15 AM

Now i do like them all  :wub: :wub:, the back story is good, any chance of a timeline ?

Having lost my original outline I'm putting it together as we speak. Once I've got it down it will go in the SIG Newsletter and then the abbreviated version will get posted here