Matra and SNEB Rocket Pods

Started by Weaver, June 07, 2009, 03:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

I think that's the idea. ;D The CRV-7 pods on the Army's Apaches can fire a flechette rocket, which is basically a big bundle of tungsten darts about the size of a pencil. The chap showing it to me at an airshow said it basically threw them out in a cone at about Mach 3. A whole pod full of those landing would make quite a mess... :blink:

That's a brilliant picture, by the way. Top-notch.  :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

There's a similar flechette system for the 68mm rockets too; called something like "Multi-Dart" I think...

Ironically, CRV-7s are one of the most accurate unguided rockets, which is why the RAF and AAC now use them. They have a much more powerful motor than most 70mm RPs, giving them high acceleration and low flight time. The acceleration particularly matters from helos, where getting out from under the rotor downwash is important. The CRV-7s were originally bought for the RAF Jaguars during the Gulf War, because they were forbidden from using low-level tactics and the SNEBs had too great a dispersion from medium altitudes. Once the HUDWAC had been re-programmed for them (which was not straight-forward, apparently), they performed excellently, being described as "near-precision" by some Jag pilots.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

CRV-7 was IIRC originally developed for use as an anti-armour weapon using a kinetic kill warhead.  They wanted a very high velocity rocket with a solid warhead, both cut down dispersion and increase penetration.  When the fUSSR started putting active-armour blocks on top of their vehicles, it was a logical choice (although those were actually designed more for use against artillery delivered anti-armour sub-munitions which relied on HEAT warheads).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

Another interesting Matra Pod picture I just found:

Described as a "A Matra Type 116M rocket launcher mounted on a Fiat G.91, on display at the Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr, Berlin."   I haven't seen pictures before of that particular launcher.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on March 18, 2012, 03:35:09 AM
Described as a "A Matra Type 116M rocket launcher mounted on a Fiat G.91, on display at the Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr, Berlin."   I haven't seen pictures before of that particular launcher.

That'll be at Gatow then. I must have walked right past it a few times, but I don't know one Matra pod from another I'm afraid.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Yes ! Thanks for pointing out this thread ! Those JL-100s are wicked....learn something new everyday ! Always nice to gather more 'ammo' for my planned Lightning builds !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?