Author Topic: AZ Models  (Read 29629 times)

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • bashes kits
Re: AZ Models
« Reply #270 on: October 28, 2017, 12:46:39 pm »
The 'MB6' suits the tip tanks and I'm tempted.  But 'Sea Ferret' and 'Night Ferret'.  Whaaat?

I can see the MB5 and MB6 in Korean War colours in lieu of Spit 24s (oddly, not Seafire 46s) and Sea Furies.

I like the idea of a two-seater MB5.  Maybe a shirtened Meteor NF14 canopy (probably too wide); Sea Fury T20 canopy should work.
IPMS What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris, Battle, CASA 2.217, Corsair GR.1, EE P12, Hawker P1067, Hellcat IV, Ice Cream Tank, JP T4, Macchi MC.205, Phantom FG1, SAAB J-29, Sea Hawk T7, Spitfire XII, Ta154, Val, Wellington.

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2017, 05:08:52 pm »
Hmm, the Firestreaks in both those pics look pretty worn, which is weird because they can't have fired them already or they'd be on the deck at some range or underwater by now, so why are they worn?

Does wizzing around at M 2.0 attached to a Lightning wear the paint off that much?

It does actually - look at the state of painted Lightning nose cones! Plus, a green-painted Firestreak was probably originally a white-painted one, so that layer of green paint is purely cosmetic and as light as possible, not the 'skin component' paint used for the white layer.

Some missiles have a 'carry life' that defines how many hours they can be carried for at what speeds and altitudes before they're officially scrap: you can have a 'worn out' missile that's never been fired. Reportedly this is the reason why Firestreaks were retained in the Lightning force until the end of it's days, and you often saw them carried instead of Red Tops: they were used to preserve carry life on the latter.
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2017, 05:53:26 pm »
Ahah, I'll have to remember to weather my missiles in future, thanks.  :thumbsup:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline KiwiZac

• The Zac Attack is Back!
  • The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
    • Zac on Facebook
« Reply #273 on: October 28, 2017, 06:42:24 pm »
At least Sky Ferret is a bit better than Sea Baker...
I find it very hard to believe Academy would make a mistake like that he said sarcastically...

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #274 on: October 28, 2017, 06:50:12 pm »
Ahah, I'll have to remember to weather my missiles in future, thanks.  :thumbsup:

It seems to depend on the individual missile design, what it's painted with, and what service it's seen. The best bet is to check for reference photos. Make sure that you're looking at REAL missiles in REAL service though: a lot of pics are of dummy 'handling shapes' that are often the wrong colours, sometimes the wrong shape, and may never have flown at all.

To digress, a good example is the Sea Dart. Many people swear blind to this day that they were painted red, but the fact is that the red ones were dummy handling rounds. Every Type 42 carried a pair of them in peacetime, and they were fond of running them out onto the rails when entering or leaving port, doing public open days and photo shoots, so there are LOTS of pics of red Sea Darts. Actual operational Sea Darts were white though, with a variety of coloured patches.

Likewise, many modellers, kit companies and reference book artists insist that 60lb RP-3 rockets had black bodies, because, well, it's obvious: you can go to any museum and look at one. It's also wrong though: live rockets had green bodies, but the vast majority of those were either fired or destroyed when obsolete becuase they were dangerous live munitions. That meant that the ones which survived to get into museums and under historic warbirds were the inert black drill rounds that could be safely donated from stores depots and training establishments.
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith