BAE Nimrod

Started by Thorvic, March 23, 2008, 02:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Bump...  For SCIENCE!!!!  And other ulterior motives...
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Hobbes

I've got the Airfix Nimrod kit, I'm using its instructions as a guide for color schemes for my MPA projects.
The kit has 2 color schemes I want to use:
- early: white over Light Aircraft Grey
- MR.2: hemp over Light Aircraft Grey (Humbrol 166)

I've just started spraying Humbrol 166, but it looks more beige than grey. Almost a lighter shade of Hemp. Is this correct, or should I be using a different color?

I was expecting this:

On the other hand: this build at Hyperscale matches what I'm seeing pretty well:

PR19_Kit

Light Aircraft Grey does have a hint of beige in it IIRC, but not very much. It usually looks a rather bluey great to my mind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Defo looks more hempy than grey ! I'm no expert on colour, but it could just be the lighting and background ? The 2 colours do look very similar, and the actual aero is an older photo in natural light. Lovely build tho I must say !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Spooky,
The Airfix model I've got is in the same colour scheme, the fuselage windows painted silver and the same decals applied. It's undergoing restoration at the moment with a few changes such as the APS-125 radome fitted on top of the vertical tail fin and the MAD boom replaced. Thinking US Navy markings.

Mossie

Airfix have the right colour for a later version of Light Aircraft Grey.  An earlier version of Light Aircraft Grey was quite different to the later beige-ish one that Humbrol 166 represents, Humbrol 64 is a good match for the earlier one.  Both can be seen on the Nimrod MR.1 fleet in the 70's.

Compare Harro's pic:

To these:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Cool. Thanks Mossie ! Very noticeable now. I'm writing those numbers down inside the box top of my Nimrod.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Just typical of the MoD to have the same name for two different colours of paint............  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Why did they change it to hemp?

Hobbes

Excellent, thanks Mossie!

kitnut617

Well here's a scheme you don't get to hear about or see ---- this was sent to me by a member of Air-Britain.  It was the first attempt at painting a Nimrod in hemp, apparently the chief of the paint shop was given a paint number to use and this was the result, the CO was not impressed at all and called it the 'Flying T&*D' and refused to fly it in this colour

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Were British Leyland the paint contractors??? Our neighbours had a Morris Marina in that shade of brown!!! :-X
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on September 26, 2015, 01:15:00 PM
Were British Leyland the paint contractors???

;D

This photo was taken just after it was taken out of the paint shop by another Air-Britain member who was in the RAF at the time ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on September 26, 2015, 01:15:00 PM
Were British Leyland the paint contractors??? Our neighbours had a Morris Marina in that shade of brown!!! :-X

With BL's total mis-understanding of colours that brown was called 'Torque Grey' for goodness sake!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

U, G, L, Y, you ain't got no alibi  ( clap clap ) .....you ugly ! ( clap clap ) You ugly !

That is an awful looking Nimrod...poor thing !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?