Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Martin-Baker Vortex FB.1  (Read 887201 times)

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
    • Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Lockheed F-113C Starflash
« Reply #1980 on: January 10, 2019, 12:58:14 am »
I'd bet on F-100 wings. I have such an F-104 conversion on my long hardware agenda, too.

Offline zenrat

• What Would Deadpool Do?
Re: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Lockheed F-113C Starflash
« Reply #1981 on: January 10, 2019, 01:41:49 am »
I was thinking Hun wings too.

Looks great.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:53:41 am by zenrat »
Fred

Another ill conceived, poorly thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Online SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1982 on: January 10, 2019, 03:19:16 am »
Lockheed F-104L Starfighter - VF-162, United States Navy, 1966

Another 'Cocas' 3D design with a 'Nyghtfall' skin requiring no input from me except to take the screenshots. In the two years I've been away from SF2 there have been a few what if's and a few new real world aircraft with what if potential so I'll have a little trawl through them over the next few days.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:02:48 am by SPINNERS »

Offline kerick

Re: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Lockheed F-113C Starflash
« Reply #1983 on: January 10, 2019, 08:01:02 am »
I was thinking Hun wings too.

Looks great.

I would go with the F-100 wings too. I just might as I have a couple of Starfighters in the stash just doing nothing.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1984 on: January 10, 2019, 08:26:21 am »
Hawker Siddeley Aviation Sirocco FG.1 - 893 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Navy, 1970

Another one by 'Cocas' and his envisioning of the Breguet Br.1120 Sirocco - a late 1950's French paper project. Huge 'what if' potential here me thinks and I've quickly put it into RN service by just desaturating the French Marine skin (like their F-8E's) to lose the blueyness to give something more like EDSG and added some Fleet Air Arm markings.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - HSA Sirocco FG.1
« Reply #1985 on: January 10, 2019, 08:35:35 am »
The Sirocco has a very 'Mirage F1' look to it. I wonder if there was a connection?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Zero-Sen

• Out of the Whiffing Closet
« Reply #1986 on: January 10, 2019, 12:11:55 pm »
Lockheed F-113C Starflash - 119 Squadron, Israeli Air Force, 1973

That Lockheed F-113C Starflash looks like GJE52's Lockheed F-109 Lancer II...

And the Sirocco surprisingly looks like a rendition of the F-104 + Mirage F1 wings as mentioned bellow on GJE52's thread...
http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,43985.msg774337.html#msg774337

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1987 on: January 11, 2019, 05:54:42 am »
De Havilland Vulture S.1 - No.17 Squadron, RAF Germany, 1969

De Havilland's submission to GOR.339 came from their Christchurch team under the leadership of W.A. Tamblin who proposed the De Havilland Vulture, a radical design featuring a variable incidence wing with podded Rolls-Royce RB.142R Medway turbofan engines. Tamblin's design was slightly smaller than most of the other submissions to GOR.339 and, apart from the variable incidence wing, it featured supersonic drop tanks and a bulged conformal belly tank to help it achieve the range requirement. In addition, De havilland's experience of 'buddy' refuelling techniques with the Sea Vixen were incorporated into their design from the outset and the company pitched a minimum change version at the Admiralty for carrier-based interception and strike. Air Ministry officials were delighted at De Havilland's claimed 70,000lb all-up-weight and with a general correlation between an aircraft's all-up-weight and cost their design soon became favourite to win the GOR.339 competition and in early 1959 they were awarded a contract for 220 aircraft for the RAF and 80 aircraft for the Royal Navy.

Entering service in early 1968 with No.6 Squadron in the UK the aircraft soon spread it's wings to become the backbone of RAF Germany with the Vulture S.1 eventually replacing all remaining Canberra and Hunter squadrons and reaching a peak strength of eleven squadrons in RAF Germany by 1973.

Another 3D model by 'Cocas' to which I've added some typical RAFG markings and a little backstory! Sadly, the model doesn't have the variable incidence wing but does capture the overall shape of the De Havilland design to GOR.339.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - HSA Sirocco FG.1
« Reply #1988 on: January 11, 2019, 06:38:50 am »

The Sirocco is a very attractive airplane, especially in FAA colours  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1989 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:45 am »
Vickers Vanquish B.1 - No.100 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, 1967

Outrageous isn't it?!

This is by 'Sundowner' who has added 3D modelling skills to his considerable skinning skills to produce the Vanquish V-Bomber. He's heavily modified a Boeing 707 and armed it to the teeth (72 x 1,000lb-ers anyone?) including an 8 x Skybolt option. I can vividly recall seeing an illustration of a VC10 armed with Skybolts (and also Wellesley style bomb pods) in a 1970's Air International.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Vickers Vanquish B.1
« Reply #1990 on: January 11, 2019, 02:29:08 pm »
That looks pretty darn good, and I love the Skybolt option.  :thumbsup:

There is/was a conversion kit or two to build the Skybolt toting VC10 using the 1/144 Airfix or Roden VC10 kits recently.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1991 on: January 12, 2019, 02:35:54 am »
Vickers Vanquish B.1 - No.100 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, 1967

Outrageous isn't it?!

Possibly, but glorious as well  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1992 on: January 12, 2019, 05:03:22 am »
Vought A-7B Corsair - 57th Fighter Weapons Wing, Tactical Air Command, USAF, 1966

In early 1961, the United States Navy announced a development study for a replacement for the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk announcing the VAL (Heavier-than-air, Attack, Light) competition stipulating that all proposals had to be based on existing designs and with increased range and payload when compared to the A-4 plus increased accuracy in the delivery of weapons. This coincided with the appointment of Robert McNamara as the new Secretary of Defense for the incoming John F. Kennedy presidency and McNamara wasted no time in directing the Air Force to adopt both the Navy's F-4 Phantom and the Navy's new VAL program.

Vought's VAL proposal to the Navy was based on their F-8 Crusader fighter, having a broadly similar configuration but noticeably shorter and without the variable incidence wing feature. To achieve the required range, Vought's proposal was powered by a single Pratt & Whitney TF30-P-6 turbofan producing over 11,000 lbs thrust and growth/export potential was built in thanks to a modular engine bay designed to also accept the promising Rolls-Royce RB.168 (Spey) turbofan. In addition, Vought squeezed in an impressive array of cutting-edge avionics including the AN/APQ-116 radar, the ILAAS digital navigation system, a digital weapons computer, a Marconi-Elliott HUD and an innovative projected map display system. Unsurprisingly, Vought's design was selected as the winner on February 11th,1963 and they soon received a production contract for an initial batch of 400 aircraft designated A-7 and consisting of 200 A-7A's for the Navy and 200 A-7B's for the Air Force. In early 1964, the aircraft received the name Corsair II (after Vought's successful F4U Corsair of World War 2 and Korea fame) and the A-7 had an incredibly fast and smooth development with the YA-7A making it's first flight on October 31st, 1964.

Whilst some priorty was given to the production of the A-7A for the Navy, the A-7B first entered service in August 1966 with the 57th Fighter Weapons Wing based at Luke AFB Arizona and they were soon followed by the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing based at Myrtle Beach AFB, South Carolina with the 354th later deploying to Korat Royal Thai AFB, Thailand in April 1967.

Quite a subtle one this as the USAF did, of course, operate the Corsair in it's A-7D version. I'm basing this on the early USAF Phantoms which had the USN grey/white scheme and quite smart they looked too! The backstory brings everything forward a bit but Vought did ever so well in real life with the A-7 program.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:06:00 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1993 on: January 12, 2019, 11:08:58 am »
Vought A-7B Corsair - 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron, USAF, 1968

I've used the SEA Camo from the Portuguese A-7P (so don't look too close as you'll see bi-lingual stencilling) and I've also removed the bolt-on refuelling probe from the starboard nose although some of the 'dirt' shading is still visible.

Offline philp

• What-IF SIG
    • My photos on picasaweb
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Vought A-7B Corsair USAF
« Reply #1994 on: January 12, 2019, 11:49:53 am »
This would be a really subtle whiff to put on a table.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies