Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - The Cobra's go V/STOL  (Read 869093 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1980 on: November 07, 2018, 07:42:51 am »
McDonnell Douglas Eagle F.2 - No.19 Squadron, RAF Germany, 1978

I'm as big a fan of the Lightning as the next man person but the two squadrons equipped with the Lightning F.2A had a tough job on the central front in the 1970's and should have got the F-15A Eagle to conserve the Phantoms for UK Air Defence.

Offline kerick

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Eagle F.2 - RAF Germany
« Reply #1981 on: November 07, 2018, 08:41:23 am »
I wonder how it would look in Hemp or what ever the Tornado ADV used?
Nice work! Keep 'em coming!
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #1982 on: November 08, 2018, 12:02:28 am »
Hemp was only used on large aircraft that had to be parked outside of hangars; the smallest RAF type I know in Hemp/Barley Grey is/was the Canberra PR.9; the ADV Tonkas just carried a grey/grey/grey livery.

Online AS.12

• Makes own decals
« Reply #1983 on: November 08, 2018, 05:40:43 am »
Looks fab.

The RAF were looking at the F-15B for the GIUK Gap role, I wonder if RAFG squadrons would have just used the same airframe with the rear seat removed?  Could have save costs by allowing pooling.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1984 on: November 08, 2018, 08:41:05 am »

The RAF were looking at the F-15B for the GIUK Gap role,

Never heard that before but I do recall that the RAF Yearbooks of the mid-70's toed the line by stating that the Tornado ADV was the only solution as the F-15 was a single-seater (pilot workload) and that the F-14 was too expensive.

My solution (in plastic) was the Tomcat with a Foxbat nosecone grafted on and PSR. This did nothing to address costs but looked ace!

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #1985 on: November 08, 2018, 06:04:47 pm »
The problem with the Tomcat from the RAF's point of view was that with Phoenix, the training costs were sky-high due to the need for x-number of live-fire shots per crew per year to maintain currency, while without Phoenix, it was thought too big and expensive for the capability. The RN was quite keen on the UK having them to provide top-cover for the fleet though, and proposed a scheme whereby the RAF and/or RN would operate a force of fifty for the RN's exclusive use. Needless to say, the RAF's reaction to this proposal has gone unrecorded, probably because the paper it was written on spontaneously combusted...

At the time of the Tornado AD decision, the F-15B was only a twin-stick trainer and would have needed an all-new rear cockpit to provide for the dedicated radar/EW op that the RAF wanted. That wouold have raised costs and elongated timescales significantly. The F-15 had a lot of early engine troubles too, and there was some doubt as to whether it would still be in production in the mid-80s when the RAF would have the money for fighters after paying for the Tornado IDS fleet.

It's easy to forget nowadays, lookini back with hindsight, that the Phantom, Tomcat and F-15 programs were all on shakey ground at various points in the 1970s...
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1986 on: November 10, 2018, 08:33:54 am »
Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR.1 - No.92 Squadron, RAF Germany, 1972

I was going to do a No.92 Squadron Eagle but I thought I'd ring the changes and do a Harrier in RAFG Lightning colours. Perhaps NATO's top brass declared the Lightning F2/F2A's as being unsuitable and with the German Air Force's F-4F's coming on stream the two RAFG Lightning squadrons were re-roled to ground-attack. Sacrilege I know! BTW after taking these screenshots I realised that I've omitted two of the GR.1's nose cameras so perhaps this should be the Harrier FGA.1?

Offline Snowtrooper

• Makes own decals
« Reply #1987 on: November 12, 2018, 03:59:10 am »
It's easy to forget nowadays, lookini back with hindsight, that the Phantom, Tomcat and F-15 programs were all on shakey ground at various points in the 1970s...
The Tomcat in particular was only saved due to Iran's order keeping the production line busy for a year.

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - The Cobra's go V/STOL
« Reply #1988 on: November 12, 2018, 05:07:48 pm »
Nice one Spinners. :thumbsup:

The Harrier only had one camera: an F-95 pointing to the left. The black square under the nose is the pitch reaction control valve.
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1989 on: November 13, 2018, 12:52:32 pm »
Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR.1 - No.19 Squadron, RAF Germany, 1974

Just added the camera - good info Weaver! The night shot is lit by moonlight and it's quite rare for a night shot to be acceptable. Most of the time I have to take them in daylight and add a bluey-black layer.