Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - The Cobra's go V/STOL  (Read 868166 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1950 on: August 28, 2018, 10:39:43 pm »
Northrop F-5A Freedom Fighter - MFG2, Marineflieger, 1973

This uses a nice Greek skin and the decals I made for my Marineflieger Panther (FSW) get a second airing because I just love that MFG2 unit marking! The following website shows that Greece were a very early adoptee of the F-5A initially getting them instead of more F-104G's.

http://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/AirForces/GreeceAF.html

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1951 on: August 29, 2018, 09:03:47 am »
Mikoyan MiG-22 'Fishpan-A' - Soviet Air Force, 1966

A nice simple one this as it uses a nice blank silver skin and stock Soviet decals (insignia and bort numbers) with just the 'unit of excellence' marking needing to be created by me. I did also re-colour the anti-glare panel from black to olive drab and tint the wheel centres the same colour. MiG-21 tanks on the wing tips complete the Soviet look! I should add I was tempted to use the MiG-23 designation as that aircraft does not now exist so if 'Top Gun' can use an even number for the 'MiG-28' so can I!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:05:44 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1952 on: August 30, 2018, 07:21:48 am »
Grumman F11F-1F Super Tiger - MFG2, Marineflieger, 1963

The 'Super Tiger' is available with USN skins but fictional German Air Force and Marineflieger skins are also available and I've used one of the latter by 'ravenclaw_007' with different tail markings, added weathering and a recoloured radome (as a nod towards 1960's era Marineflieger Starfighters).

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1953 on: September 01, 2018, 10:55:01 am »
Sud-Aviation Vautour IIA - No.24 Squadron, Indian Air Force, 1965

This is the Third Wire Vautour IIA from 'Wings Over Israel' a lovely 3D model of a most handsome aircraft. It's a non-flyable 'AI' type but easily made flyable with a suitable cockpit (I've used the Meteor F.8 as it's also twin-engined). I've used No.24 Squadron as I've previously made these fictitious nosebar markings and thought they'd look good on the Vautour.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1954 on: September 02, 2018, 09:17:23 am »
Northrop Scorpion F.1A - No.5 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1982

Another RNLAF F-5A skin by 'ravenclaw_007' given a bit of overspray, new 'eject' triangles and No.5 Squadron decals.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1955 on: September 04, 2018, 11:27:31 am »
Gloster Griffin B.II - No.35 Squadron, RAF Far East Command, 1946

Whether this is a Gloster design of whether the RAF used captured He-177's (GOOD GRIEF) I'll leave up to the reader's imagination. A quick and dirty skin this so don't look too close but I think I'll definitely come back to the 'Tiger Force' theme in the future. BTW it's interesting to see the variations on roundel used by various folk (Google 'Tiger Force Lancaster' for example).

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1956 on: September 07, 2018, 11:15:17 pm »
Sukhoi Su-5 - Soviet Air Force, 1946

This is the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation CA-15 Kangaroo masquerading as a Soviet prop fighter in a Luft'46 timeline! I'm surprised to learn that the CA-15 was actually designed around the use of a radial engine which would have given it a totally different look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC_CA-15

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1957 on: September 08, 2018, 03:46:55 am »
Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation CA-15 Kangaroo - No.805 Squadron, Royal Australian Navy, 1950

I mentioned the radial engined CA-15 above and low and behold a 3D model exists and comes with this RAN skin. No input from me apart from taking the screenshots.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1958 on: September 10, 2018, 09:11:56 am »
Vickers Valiant B.1 - No.35 Squadron, RAF Far East Air Force, 1955

A quick and dirty skin this created by identifying the lower surfaces on the skin bitmaps and inverting the colour... simples! It's a bit rough (so don't look too close) but does have the look of a Tiger Force Valiant, although the colour of the roundels and finflash is something I'll play around with.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1959 on: September 14, 2018, 09:12:07 am »
BAC Thunderstrike S.1 - No.617 Squadron, RAF Far East Air Force, 1970

Her Majesty's Needle-Nosed Wonder Bird in Tiger Force colours  :wub:  :wub:

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1960 on: September 18, 2018, 07:06:43 am »
North American Warblade FGA.3 - No.31 Squadron, RAF Near East Air Force, 1991

A homemade skin this one but with a bit of a speed cheat used to give a hint of panel lines. When I get back to SF2 I'll try to get a proper template made as this a 'what if' I can come back to over and over again despite not actually liking the shape of the F-107! Wiki tells me that the F-107 was never given an official name but that the intake position resulted in the nickname of 'Man-eater'  ;D

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1961 on: September 19, 2018, 11:35:24 am »
North American F-107D Ultra Sabre - 726 Eskadrille, Royal Danish Air Force, 1970

The RDAF were, of course, a real-world user of the F-100D and later used them in this matt green colour scheme. The semi-recessed tank is from the F-15A!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1962 on: October 02, 2018, 01:00:17 pm »
Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2H - No.300 Squadron, Indian Naval Air Service, 1970

There are two excellent Buccaneer 3D models available for 'Strike Fighters' and this was the first to be released by the DAT group. I've overpainted the RN roundels directly onto the skin bitmaps and used new decals for the remainder and added 'SOVIET' to the weapons stations so as to carry FAB250 bombs and FAB500 bombs in the rotary weapons bay.

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Indian Buccaneers
« Reply #1963 on: October 07, 2018, 04:20:08 am »
Supermarine Swift FR.51 - No.25 Squadron, Pakistan Air Force, 1965

Quite a simple one this as the lovely Swift FR.5 comes with a blank silver skin to which I've added some Pakistan markings including the No.25 Squadron Eagle disc and just used stock USNATTACKNUM (game generated) decals for the serials. In the real world No.25 squadron were formed in 1966 and were equipped with Chinese-built MiG-19's.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1964 on: October 13, 2018, 10:32:20 am »
North American B-25J Mitchell - Israeli Air Force, 1952

I had to double-check on whether the Israeli Air Force really did operate the B-25 as it just seems like a natural. Anyway, my Israeli B-25J uses a bit of a 'cut and shut' technique to combine elements of three different skins to create this skin (necessary as all available skins already have markings on them in a variety of positions meaning I could only use the areas without markings although there are other methods I've used like simple overpainting). There are a couple of B-25's available but who wouldn't want to use the fully-loaded B-25J?!!