Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Mitsubishi Ki-99 'Beryl'  (Read 860141 times)

Online SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1905 on: June 03, 2018, 09:11:37 am »
Grumman F-109A Wildcat - VC-7, United States Navy, 'Red Star' Fighter Weapons School, 1966

During the first USN Carrier Deployments to the Gulf of Tonkin during 1963 and 1964, the USN top brass were appalled by the results of its F-4 and F-8 fighter aircraft during their initial engagements with the Vietnam Peoples Air Force. Whilst the F-8 was a competent enough dogfighter the handful of F-8 kills were scored with the AIM-9 Sidewinder missile mainly due to the 20mm Colt cannons jamming during high-G manoeuvers. USN F-4's were far less agile than the F-8's and were also handicapped by the official 'Rules of Engagement' requiring visual identification of enemy aircraft before firing the beyond visual range radar-guided AIM-7E Sparrow missiles.

Whilst an urgent study into rectifying the situation was launched a senior Royal Navy pilot, Lt Commander Dick Lord, whilst on secondment to the USN's VF-126 squadron at Naval Air Station Miramar, California introduced the USN to methods and tactics he had learned as a graduate of the Royal Navy's intense Air Warfare Instructors School in Lossiemouth, Scotland. First and foremost was structured air-to-air combat manoeuvering training using, wherever possible, dissimilar aircraft and with 'red' aircrew purposefully flying the mission in the style of the enemy. With limited funding, the United States Navy 'Red Star' Fighter Tactics Instructor Program was launched to teach ACM tactics and techniques to selected Naval Aviators and Naval flight officers who would, in theory, return to their operating units as surrogate instructors. 'Red Star' initially used USN A-4 Skyhawks and borrowed USAF T-38 Talons to simulate the flying characteristics of the MiG-17 and MiG-21 and in early 1966 received eight Hindustan Ajeet aircraft directly from Hindustan's Bangalore production line. Entering service as the F-109A Wildcat, the Ajeet's were supported and maintained in USN service by the Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation. In service, the Wildcat's were flown by instructors pilots whose objective was to develop, refine and teach ACM tactics and techniques using the concept of dissimilar air combat training with the Wildcat pilot's replicating the performance of the Russian-built transonic MiG-17 'Fresco'. The eight F-109A's operated as part of VC-7 based at Naval Air Station Miramar from 1966 to 1980 and it's five surviving Wildcat's were scrapped when the squadron was disbanded on September 30th,1980.

The silver IAF Ajeet skin has been modified by adding white control surfaces plus some stock USN decals with a simple 'crosshairs' tail marking that I knocked up. BTW I hear that Top Gun 2 is being filmed at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:21:31 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - 'Red Star' F-109A Wildcats
« Reply #1906 on: June 04, 2018, 12:01:36 pm »
Grumman F-109A Wildcat - VC-7, United States Navy, 'Red Star' Fighter Weapons School, 1968

To finish my 'Red Star' Ajeets here are a couple of shots in two different camo schemes.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1907 on: June 05, 2018, 01:21:32 pm »
Douglas A-4C Skyhawk - 340 Mira Hellenic Air Force, 1966

I found this lovely Singapore Air Force Skyhawk skin done many years ago by a very talented Brazilian skinner, Marcelo Silva, who sadly is no longer active but his work survives in a little hidden corner of cyberspace. I gave the skin a little bit of TLC and applied it to the A-4C but forgot that it only had three pylons and I usually like my aircraft fully loaded! I don't know what multi-mode radar sets were around in the mid-1960's but I like the look of the radar nose on this and removed the refuelling probe before giving it some pretty generic Hellenic Air Force decals. I quite like this!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1908 on: June 09, 2018, 11:13:08 am »
McDonnell Douglas A-4E Skyhawk - 339 Mira, Hellenic Air Force, 1990

After digging around the SF1 archives over at Combat Ace I found an A-4 template but it was only used for the lines and rivets (still a useful time-saver mind) and I had to cut out all the parts and add weathering etc.  I had a crack at a 3-tone wrap around camo using a USN scheme as a pattern. It looks OK but, hands up, the colours are off. Sometimes it's better to 'mix by eye' as I looked at FS numbers until my head was spinning and the variation is shocking. I made the national insignia a bit smaller and knocked-up a bit pretty crappy shield for 339 Mira.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:16:54 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1909 on: June 10, 2018, 06:18:03 am »
McDonnell Douglas A-4E Skyhawk - 330 & 340 Mira, Hellenic Air Force, 1968-1989

I'm really loving the Skyhawk and will come back to it when I get back to SF2 later this Summer.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1910 on: June 10, 2018, 09:13:26 am »
General Dynamics Falcon FG.1 - No.41 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1984

Don't look too close as there are some hideous joints but it does give an impression as to what a splinter camo would look like on a mid-80's RAF Falcon. I think I've already done the more obvious Swedish Flygvapnet F-16!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1911 on: June 11, 2018, 11:58:08 am »
Folland Gnat FB.3 - No.75 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1967

My first Kiwi jet for quite a few years. I was going to do an RAF Gnat but remembered that I had some tactical Kiwi roundels lurking somewhere. The Gnat is huge fun in 'Strikefighters' but it's got a puny payload and I think the RAF were wise to choose the Hunter in the fighter-bomber role for overseas use.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1912 on: June 12, 2018, 11:10:50 am »
Mikoyan MiG-41F 'Flatfish-B' - Soviet Air Force, 2018

Whilst looking for some camo patterns I realised that drakkodj's MiG-41 would be ideal as the model uses just two main bitmaps that are essentially upper & lower meaning that the camo pattern flows right across and doesn't stop/start on the fuselage/wing joint.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1913 on: June 13, 2018, 01:16:47 pm »
Northrop F-5EA Tiger II - Grupo 6, Fuerza Aérea Argentina, 1982

This is a Taiwanese skin that I thought would look good with Argentine markings. Sorry pedants... roundels on both wings for me please!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1914 on: June 16, 2018, 06:47:43 am »
Aero S-107 'Brawny-A' - 24th Bomber Regiment, Czechoslovak Air Force, 1970

It can't just be me who thinks that the airframe of the Ilyushin Il-102, first flown in 1982, looks so pedestrian that it could have belonged to any era from 1947 onwards? Anyway, this is drakkodj's Il-102 in an earlier timeframe. I lightened his original skin and boosted the specular settings then added an olive drab anti-glare panel with the intention of doing a very late WW2 USAAF attack bomber - stretching Fergie time to 1947  ;). I settled on a Czechoslovakian bird licence-built by Aero Vodochody and just wonder whether it would have an 'S' designation or some other letter? I think it would as Stíhačka means fighter aircraft in Czech and Slovak but I'll leave it be until we get a definitive answer.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1915 on: June 16, 2018, 08:00:39 am »
Aero B-107 'Brawny-B' - 24th Bomber Regiment, Czechoslovak Air Force, 1970

A quick and dirty camo scheme. The radar nose is a bit of a mistake as the nose gear is so far forward there would simply be no room.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1916 on: June 23, 2018, 05:29:01 am »
Mikoyan MiG-21PFM 'Fishbed-F' - Senegalese Air Force, 1976

I've quite enjoyed making this one. I found a nice 'deserty' camo pattern and scaled it right down to fit the 5122 bitmap template and cut out the parts and added some Senegalese markings and this is the first aircraft I've done for Senegal - whose air force is only slightly older than me  ;)

With the World Cup in full swing things will be a bit slow around here for a few weeks.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1917 on: June 24, 2018, 10:53:00 am »
McDonnell Douglas A-4E Ahit - IDF Aggressor Flight, 1974

Quite a simple one this as I imported the 'sand' camo pattern into my A-4E template and used stock insignia and codes with just some minor adjustments to position and added a DIY IDF Aggressor badge showing a MiG-17 silhouette behind the crosshairs.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1918 on: June 30, 2018, 03:56:36 am »
Mikoyan MiG-29A 'Fulcrum-A' - Turkish Air Force, 1999

The coup d'état in Cyprus on July 15th, 1974 by a combination of the Greek army in Cyprus, the Cypriot National Guard and the Greek military junta ousted President Makarios III and replaced him with a dictatorship led by Nikos Sampson who declared the establishment of the Hellenic Republic of Cyprus. The coup was viewed as being illegal by the United Nations and was of huge concern to Turkey who feared that Sampson's next aim would be the total annexation of Cyprus by Greece. Within days Turkey had invaded Cyprus (without any resistance from the British forces based on the island) to quickly occupy 37% of the northern part of the island and expelling about 142,000 Greek Cypriots living in the north. War between Greece and Turkey seemed imminent but was averted when Sampson's coup d'état collapsed a few days later and Makarios returned to power triggering the collapse of the Greek military junta in Athens which had failed to confront the Turkish invasion.

After the events of 1974, the United States imposed an arms embargo on both Turkey and Cyprus leading to sudden tension and mistrust between Turkey and the United States and pushing Turkey towards the Soviet Union leading to a vote in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey to become officially neutral (i.e. non-aligned) with President Fahri Korutürk announcing a huge increase in military spending with France and the Soviet Union gaining the most. In early 1975, the Turkish Air Force (Türk Hava Kuvvetleri) started to receive Dassault Mirage F.1's to replace embargoed Aeritalia F-104S Starfighters and also Sukhoi Su-17M's to supplement the handful of Phantom F-4E's that had escaped the embargo. Whilst still firmly in it's development phase, Turkey became the first international customer of the MiG-29 when the Turkish Air Force placed an order for 80 MiG-29A's in 1980 which entered service in March 1985.

My enthusiasm ran out a bit on this one as the skin doesn't seem to quite match the 3D model in so much that there are a few grey areas on the skin which is the 3D model without paint. It can be fixed as we have some excellent tools available nowadays but I've run out of steam after a tough old week at work in the hot weather.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:50:25 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1919 on: July 01, 2018, 03:50:27 am »
Mikoyan MiG-29AP - Aggressor Flight, Parani Air Force, 2007

An absolutely superb template by 'sundowner' exists for the MiG-29 and I've used a desert camo pattern with a cream radome to create this Parani Aggressor (Paran is the fictional 'red' Middle-East country in the original Strike Fighters game).