Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Marineflieger Panthers  (Read 833373 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1890 on: May 11, 2018, 11:48:17 pm »
North American Super Sabre FGA.4 - No.28 Squadron, RAF Far East Air Force, 1962

I can't see the RAF going for the 'Super Sabre' name myself and I've previously called it 'Shark' which works even better if it was licence-built as the Supermarine Shark ;)

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1891 on: May 12, 2018, 05:43:31 am »
Saab J-29F Tunnen - Irish Air Corps, 1966

In response to an appeal by the United Nations for military support to the UN peacekeeping mission in the Republic of Congo, the Swedish Air Force sent a mixed force of J29B's and S29C's to the region. Mainly used to attack ground targets with internal cannon and unguided rockets the aircraft served well and no aircraft were lost in action despite considerable small arms ground fire. When the UN peacekeeping mission was terminated in May 1964 the Swedish Air Force were considering destroying the aircraft in situ as they were simply no longer needed at home and the cost of retrieving them was high.

However, the Irish Government expressed interest in purchasing the aircraft to supplement their Vampire jets and, via the Swedish Government, approached Saab for costs on repatriation and conversion to J29F standard. In June 1964 the Swedish Government granted the Air Board permission to sell eight J29B Tunnans to Saab for refurbishment to J29F standard and resale to the Irish Air Corps. All eight Tunnan's were delivered to the Irish Air Corps during the Autumn of 1964 and remained in service until 1977 when they were replaced with ex-RAF Germany Lightning F.2A's.

I love all of Saab's post-war military aircraft even this tubby little one which could outfly the F-86 Sabre!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1892 on: May 12, 2018, 11:10:29 am »
North American P-51D Mustang - United States Army Air Force, PTO, 1946

I was playing around with a normal US 'starbar' and recoloured it in SEAC blues and used it on the stock IDF silver skin from the excellent 'Wings Over Israel'.

Anyway, it's quiz time in an 'Only Connect' style but a fair bit easier. What is the common link shared by these SEAC Mustang piccies?

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1893 on: May 14, 2018, 11:28:19 am »
Aero L.23 'Furball' - Luftstreitkräfte der Nationalen Volksarmee, 1960

This is a real world French skin done by 'Gepard' over at Combat Ace but with my Luftstreitkräfte decals including a fictional squadron marking. The current Page 13 shows my original Aero L.23 in Czech markings.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1894 on: May 15, 2018, 06:45:58 am »
Xian FBC-1 Flying Leopard - Mongolian Air Force, 2008

Under Soviet pressure at the end of World War Two, the Republic of China was obliged to formally accept Mongolian independence. However, following the Communists victory in the Chinese Civil War, the People's Republic of China warmly recognised Mongolia's independent status and established diplomatic relations with Mongolia during 1949. Although Mongolia aligned itself with the Soviet Union during the Cold War both nations patiently came to agreement on border disputes and by 1986 they had begun to establish trade agreements that paved the way for the 1988 treaty on border control and the 1994 treaty of friendship.

By 2002, China had become Mongolia's biggest trade partner and their largest source of foreign investment with China allowing the use of its Tianjin port to give Mongolia access to trade within the Asia Pacific region and, in return, giving China access to Mongolia's natural resources. In a move designed to bolster regional security China exported 20 Xian FBC-1 Flying Leopard fighter-bombers (the export version of the JH-7A) which entered service with the Mongolian Air Force in 2008.

There's some nice features on this 3D model like the built-in slimers, afterburner glow (not shown) and automatic brake chute. It's not easy to decal up though so I've had to paste the wing markings onto the skin bitmap but at least the numbered nose decals work.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:50:49 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1895 on: May 16, 2018, 02:55:18 pm »
Shenyang J-8 'Finback-A' - Vietnam People's Air Force, 1984

This doesn't quite work but I didn't want to spend too much time skinning quite an elderly 3D model that has a few issues but I quite like the configuration of the early 'Finback'.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:00:26 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1896 on: May 18, 2018, 10:40:56 am »
SEPECAT Panther GR.1 - 899 Naval Air Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, 1990

I like having a trawl through the download section at the Combat Ace website and this is quite an old one but it's an excellent 3D model by 'Julhelm' who christened it 'Kestrel' as a nod towards it's basic Harrier configuration but I can see a bit of Alpha Jet and (humped) Skyhawk in there too. 'Julhelm' has created quite a few masterpieces for 'Strikefighters' including the Vigilante.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1897 on: May 19, 2018, 07:14:44 am »
Shenyang F-8MII 'Finback-B' - Mongolian Air Force, 2000

Quite a nice 3D model this by the 'Insky' group of modders. The real F-8MII was a proposed export version of the 'Finback-B' that saw no takers so is ripe for 'what iffery'.

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Mongolian 'Finback-B'
« Reply #1898 on: May 20, 2018, 09:26:18 am »
Avro Canada CF-103 Archer - No.420 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, 1965

Boy oh boy. Some man hours have gone into this one mainly in trial and error of decal positions! The 'Finback-B' comes with a fairly dark grey skin so I lightened it using a fairly crude but effective technique and the skin can now be used for RCAF Grey (as above) or shiny NMF by boosting some settings. As an affectionate nod to the Avro Arrow I've left some black on the intakes. The distinctive RCAF fuselage 'cheat line' is a decal scaled up by x15 (in context, the roundels are scaled at x1) and then has a cut-out to accommodate the 3-digit nose number and some 5-digit serial numbers adorn the fin. Sadly, the 'Odd Rods' are part of a bigger mesh and cannot be removed but, despite that, I think it looks pretty 'Westernized' (for once, I'll allow the use of a 'z') especially in RCAF markings.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:28:49 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1899 on: May 21, 2018, 10:24:12 am »
Avro Canada CF-103 Archer - No.423 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, 1965

I thought I'd do a second RCAF squadron and also show it with AIM-4D Falcons. Best bet would have been for the Canadian pilots to have climbed above the Badger/Bear/Bison getting just out of gun range and then to have then simply dropped their Falcons onto the Soviet bombers. BTW the 'Bald eagle' tail marking is out of me own head.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:26:58 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1900 on: May 26, 2018, 04:47:24 am »

I thought I'd try 'normal' grey paint on the intakes with an unbroken fuselage stripe. It looks good but the stripe then follows the inside contours of the intake, not a huge problem I guess. The 'Alouettes' badge is all my own work (I've created port & starboard versions of it) and I'd never realised that, in Britspeak, the bird is a humble Lark.

The CF-103 will be entering RCAF service with the following squadrons;

No.409 Squadron (Blue & Yellow Rudder Stripes)

No.410 Squadron (Red & White Rudder Stripes)

No.414 Squadron (Black & Red Rudder Stripes)

No.416 Squadron (Black & Yellow Rudder Stripes)

No.425 Squadron (Black & Silver Rudder Stripes)

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1901 on: May 27, 2018, 04:10:19 am »
Avro Canada CF-103 Arrow - Royal Canadian Air Force

Serving with no less that nine front-line RCAF squadrons at its peak in the mid-1950's, the Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck provided all-weather defense against Soviet intruders and the four Canuck squadrons based in Europe from 1956 to1962 were, for some time, the only NATO fighters capable of operating in zero visibility and poor weather conditions. However, recognising the fact that the Soviet Union was working on newer jet-powered bombers the RCAF began looking for a missile-armed replacement for the CF-100 even before it had entered service and in January 1953 the RCAF's All-Weather Interceptor Requirements Team submitted a report to the Canadian Government outlining their requirements.

In response, Avro Canada came up with three distinct proposals;

1. A subsonic CF-100 development with a thinner swept wing and tail surfaces and with external missile stores (CF-100S).

2. A single-seat supersonic delta-winged aircraft with twin engines and external missile stores (CF-103).

3. A large two-seat supersonic delta-winged aircraft with twin engines and an internal missile bay (CF-105).

After a full year of reviewing Avro Canada's proposals the RCAF announced in February 1954 that they considered that the CF-103 represented the optimum balance between cost, efficacy and in-service date and requested that Avro Canada should be awarded a production contract for 200 CF-103's. To keep costs down the RCAF stipulated the use of two key 'off the shelf' items; the Hughes MA-1 fire control system (from the Convair F-102A) and the Rolls-Royce Avon afterburning turbojet (from the English Electric Lightning). Whilst both items were actually still under development themselves, they were considered to be a safer choice than any home-grown paper project and likely to reach maturity for the projected in-service date of 1960. The only area of risk was the decision to arm the CF-103 with the radical British ADEN 230 twin-barreled cannon in a streamlined semi-conformal installation carrying the cannon and with a 500 round ammunition drum stored immediately above and inside the fuselage.

The CF-103 used the then fashionable delta-wing configuration but with slab tailplanes and, in order to house a large radar set, the CF-103  used a solid nose with variable geometry air intakes on the fuselage with intake ramps and splitter plates which proved to be a perfect match for the Avon RB.146 turbojet engines each rated at 12,500 lbs thrust dry and 16,500 lbs thrust with afterburner. The aircraft was intended to be built directly from the production line thus skipping the traditional hand-built prototype phase and luckily very little re-design was required as testing progressed. On October 4th 1957, the same day as the launch of Sputnik 1, the first CF-103A was rolled out at Avro Canada's facility at Malton, Ontario eventually making it's first flight on December 30th, 1957 with Chief Development Test Pilot Janusz Żurakowski at the controls. Flight testing quickly demonstrated excellent handling and overall performance, reaching Mach 2.1 in level flight. Development was slowed slightly due to problems with the Hughes MA-1 Fire Control System and the ADEN 230 twin-barreled cannon but the first two CF-103A's entered service with No.425 Squadron on August 15th, 1961 in a ceremony at RCAF Namao, Alberta becoming fully operational by the end of the year.

Just to round off the CF-103 but I will come back to using the F-8MII for other stuff. Of course, the missiles I've forgotten to use are the Firestreak and RedTop and they will see service on the RAF 'Finback' in the future... or is it the past  ;)

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1902 on: May 28, 2018, 03:22:17 am »
Nanchang Q-5A 'Fantan' - Mongolian Air Force, 1989

The MiG-19S is an ever present in the 'Strike Fighters' line-up and it's nice to see it's developed Chinese cousins well represented with at least four versions of Fantan's modelled and whilst not at the same quality level as the stock 3D models they are quite passable. This PLAAF green skin required just a bit of touching up and some new decals to put it into service with the Mongolian Air Force and I didn't want to use my real world Mongolian 001 to 012 serials (from my MiG-21) again so I've created some new 4-digit 'stencilled' decals using the yellow from their national markings and also used the same yellow to create the 'alignment' markings seen on the wing fence and fuselage. I assume these are for formation keeping purposes??
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:58:51 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1903 on: May 28, 2018, 11:17:57 am »
McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom - JG74 Mölders, German Air Force, 1975

Just a couple of shots (whilst I had my green crayon out  ;)) as I'll probably come back to this when I get a better F-4E/F template and can use the better features in SF2 including being able to re-colour drop tanks to your hearts content.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1904 on: June 02, 2018, 05:51:15 am »
Folland Gnat FGA.55 - 1st JaVa Netherlands East Indies Army Air Division, 1963

The Ajeet comes with this excellent Indian Air Force Camo scheme to which I've added an orange rudder including the black border which I've previously avoided and then some NEI triangles, serial numbers and white mice as seen on their Fokker D.XXI's.