Author Topic: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Irish Air Corps Twin Mustangs!  (Read 806753 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1815 on: September 07, 2016, 07:00:19 am »
Bristol Vincentius B.2 - No.9 Squadron, No. 8 (Pathfinder Force) Group, RAF Bomber Command, 1956

I was hoping to do this handsome looking Soviet bomber in the early Canberra black and grey scheme but it just proved to be too difficult as I couldn't follow the mapping across several 'joints' so stopped once I'd done the black skin and simply added the decals I did many years ago for my 'Bomber Command' B-52K. If you search 'Vincentius' within this thread you'll see my earlier 'anti-flash white' B.1 and also my grey MR.3 versions.

Offline SPINNERS

Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1816 on: September 10, 2016, 04:22:27 am »
Bugger!

I'm going to have to park this thread up for a wee while as my PC has gone t!ts up. I'm pretty sure it's the Graphics Card but it's had a few other niggles recently and it might just be on it's way to 'Silicon Heaven' (and I don't mean Katie Price's chest).

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Smoke me a kipper...
« Reply #1817 on: February 18, 2018, 03:33:36 am »

Good Morning

Well, didn't those past 18 months go quickly?

Guys, I didn't intend to be away for 18 days nevermind 18 months but my PC problems just caused me to stop and focus on some real life issues that I won't burden you with but let's just say that family, work and sports administration took precedence and I took up a new hobby researching my family tree. All in all, I guess I needed a break. Well, I never did get my PC repaired and gave my beautiful 26" Samsung monitor to my daughter who has an online shop and needed it more than me.

Then, about a week ago I saw the old flight sim 'IL-2' in a charity shop and an unexpected wave of nostalgia washed over me forcing me to leave a pound coin with the nice lady in the PDSA shop. It wouldn't run on my laptop so I picked up a second-hand monitor, dusted down my old Pentium 4 PC (running Windows XP) and fired up 'IL-2'. Well, it wasn't long before I realised why I binned 'IL-2' and started playing 'Strike Fighters' almost ten years ago to the day. I found my password for the Third Wire store and downloaded all four Series One games and bought the Wings Over Israel add-on expansion pack as a little thank you to the game developer.

Being on quite an elderly PC and therefore restricted to Series One means that I'm having to re-learn all those little hints and tips that I'd previously forgotten and I really am starting from scratch. I don't think I'll ever be quite as intense as I was before but I hope to contribute something here occasionally, perhaps weekly, and keep this ten-year old thread running. My sincere apologies to those who left messages here for me and my thanks for the nice comments that came in over the 18 months that I've been away.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:20:24 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Good Morning
« Reply #1818 on: February 18, 2018, 04:34:21 am »
Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - No.112 Sqd, RAF Middle East Command, 1973

Just a partial whif this one as No. 112 squadron did operate the Hunter but only until 1957 (Hunter F.4's I guess) so here is how I see them in 1973 with the Hunter FGA.9 and perhaps on some emergency deployment to the Middle East at the time of Yom Kippur and the Oil Crisis.

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1819 on: February 18, 2018, 09:54:29 am »
Ilyushin Il-102 'Brawny' - Soviet Air Force, Afghanistan, 1985

This was one of the messages waiting for me, the Il-102 'Brawny' the unsuccessful competitor to the Su-25 'Frogfoot'. This was sent to me my drakkodj and I've only needed to set the decals (it's a long time since I played around with 3D model coordinates) and I thought it looked quite cool on a night mission. I'll come back to this in the near future, perhaps in service with a Soviet client state.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1820 on: February 21, 2018, 11:36:25 am »
Republic F-84F Thunderstreak - 69 Sqd 'The Hammers', Israeli Air Force, 1967

The Armee de l'Air received its first F-84F Thunderstreaks in 1955 and it was in French service that the Thunderstreak saw its only actual combat during the Suez Crisis of October 1956. French Thunderstreaks from the 3rd Escadre moved to RAF Akrotiri on Cyprus whilst the 1st Escadre were deployed to the Israeli base at Lyddia where they supported the Israeli forces that invaded Sinai on October 29th. Despite seeing intensive action only one F-84F was lost and the tough and rugged aircraft so impressed the Israeli Air Force that they ordered 50 F-84F-70-RE aircraft before the end of 1956. The F-84F-70-RE featured the more powerful J65-W-7 rated at 7,800lbs thrust which helped with the initial climb rate and the combat ceiling and these were among the last Thunderstreak's to roll off the Farmingdale production line in the Summer of 1957.

In 1962 the entire Israeli F-84F fleet was grounded due to the same corrosion of control rods that had affected the F-84F worldwide but they were soon restored to full operational capacity, eventually serving with distinction during the 1967 Six Day War and surviving in Israeli service until 1972 when stress corrosion eventually forced the retirement of the Israeli F-84F fleet.

Apart from shaking off 18 months of ring rust, I'm still feeling my way around the older SF1 series that I last used in 2009 so forgive me for slotting in a repeat albeit one with a backstory missing from last time.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:38:02 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1821 on: February 22, 2018, 01:15:58 pm »
Shenyang J-31 Falcon Hawk - Korean People's Army Air Force, 2019

This is the Shenyang J-31 with a bit of a simple homemade skin made by me (my first one for 18 months) with some washed out KPAAF decals. I have previously used a 'night' version of the KPAAF roundel with no white in them at all and they looked quite good especially on black so I'll give them an airing at some time.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1822 on: February 24, 2018, 04:34:30 am »
Hawker Siddeley Harrier Mk.51 - People's Liberation Army Air Force, 1976

Interest in the Hawker P.1127 programme surged after the 1967 Six-Day War and whilst most interest faded within a few months the Chinese government kept an official observer status on the project until 1972 when they signed up for 60 Harrier Mk.51 aircraft. Apart from the PLAAF's genuine interest in the aircraft it was also clearly a political deal that saw the Chinese government officially recognise the British government's position on Hong Kong who, in turn, acknowledged China's position on Taiwan (albeit whilst not agreeing to it). The Chinese government also received permission to licence build the aircraft with the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation building a further 200 Harrier Mk.52's.

Another homemade skin using a pretty basic Third Wire template and using a green similar to that seen on some of their 'Fantan' attack aircraft. The graphics on my 'Wings Over Europe' install isn't quite right using my now elderly old PC but it is the only Series One game to include the Harrier so it's the only game in town!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:36:33 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1823 on: February 25, 2018, 08:16:12 am »
McDonnell Douglas F-110E Phantom - 555th TFS, United States Air Force, 1975

The resounding success of the US Navy's F-4B in the competitive fly-off against the F-106 during ‘Operation Highspeed’ led to a more comprehensive evaluation of two loaned Navy F-4B’s (designated as the F-110A) but McDonnell had already been planning a purpose-built tactical fighter version of the F-4 for the USAF with manual terrain-following radar and TF30 turbofan engines. Designated F-110B this aircraft promised to be an excellent partner to the F-111A (TFX) and quickly gained the support of Defense Secretary Robert McNamara who authorised production of the type in February 1962. The pre-production prototype first flew in November 1963 and the F-110B entered service during the following year before production switched to the improved F-110C for TAC and the F-110D interceptor for ADC. In 1969 the definitive F-110E started to roll off the St. Louis production line which matched the AN/APG-59 pulse doppler radar coupled with the AN/AWG-10 Fire Control System for look-down shoot-down capability. The F-110E also featured the substantially more powerful TF30-P-100 turbofan rated at 25,000 lbs thrust each and was far less prone to compressor stalls at high angles of attack than previous versions of the TF30. Initial production aircraft were delivered to USAFE in 1970 but soon began to replace F-105D's and F-110B's in Vietnam from 1971 onwards.

'Wings Over Europe' includes the F-4M but only the later version with the Marconi ARI.18228 radar warning receiver fintop pod. The F-4D has a pretty shoddy 'Euro One' skin (I say that only because it's the same skin they have on the F-4E and therefore doesn't fit the short nose of the F-4D properly) so I've adapted the skin to fit and also added the Spey engines and the Marconi ARI.18228 RWR to the skin. I thought I could live with using Series One versions of the game but, apart from the terrain, it's hard work and just doesn't look as good on my ancient Pentium  :-\.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:23:14 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1824 on: February 26, 2018, 11:05:23 am »
BAC Lightning F.56 - Grupo de Aviación No.7, Fuerza Aérea de Chile, 1986

When the Falkland Islands were invaded by Argentina in 1982 Chile was officially neutral during the conflict but is known to have provided the United Kingdom with intelligence information and operational support during the conflict. Whilst the alliance between the UK and Chile remained secret the Thatcher government quietly rewarded the Pinochet government with a cut price arms deal which included ex-RAF Canberra, Hunter and Lightning aircraft.

A total of 15 Lightning F.6 aircraft were transferred without refurbishment to Grupo de Aviación No.7 of the Fuerza Aérea de Chile in the Autumn of 1982 thus preventing the planned expansion of the RAF's Lightning force from two squadrons to three and forcing the RAF to acquire ex-USN Phantom F-4J's. Later given the designation Lightning F.56 the aircraft had a short service life and were retired in 1990.

I love weaving some truth into a backstory!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1825 on: February 27, 2018, 12:35:17 pm »
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-27 "Flogger-D" - Mongolian Air Force, 1979

This uses a grey Soviet skin from one of the stock MiG-23 fighters adapted to fit the MiG-27 and then given simple Mongolian Air Force markings. The real-world Mongolian MiG-21's are one of the few non what-if's I've released over at Combat Ace and the decals I made for them are re-used here.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1826 on: March 02, 2018, 11:44:15 am »
McDonnell Douglas Hornet FGR.3 - No.4 Squadron, Royal Air Force, 2002

Forgive me for not calling this a Boeing aircraft - old habits die hard! This was, I think, one of my very first uploads to Combat Ace and the F/A-18F 3D model was created by a small team ('101tfs' and 'Erwin_hans') with a later and better attempt by 'EricJ' following on a few years later but, at the time, this was the only game in town. I've given it some fresh decals but it really needs some modern weapons to set it off.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:23:17 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1827 on: March 04, 2018, 02:14:33 am »
LTV Corsair GR.2 - No.41 Squadron, Royal Air Force Strike Command, 1977

Excuse me whilst I take a trip down Nostalgia Road. This was my first ever attempt at skinning done way back in 2008 and was really only a partial attempt as I'd crudely overpainted a standard USN scheme with green camo and then added back in some way too dark panel lines (thinks: perhaps the Matchbox trench digger is in my family tree). Removing the intake warning was probably too much for my feeble skills back then.

At the moment, I'm looking through my old SF1 (Strike Fighters - Series One) uploads and giving them a modest makeover and re-upload whilst my XP computer is still running - it does actually 'chugg' and can clearly be heard downstairs! A repair and upgrade of my old PC is being planned and submitted to 'er indoors for approval but I'm in no rush now especially as I've tweaked my XP computer and got rid of a horrible graphics problem by playing with the settings.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1828 on: March 04, 2018, 04:18:24 am »
Republic Aviation FGA.1 - No.20 Squadron, Royal Air Force Middle East Command, 1956

The delay in both the Hawker Hunter and Supermarine Swift programmes saw an ailing RAF adopt the swept-wing F-84F Thunderstreak in several versions starting with the Sapphire powered Thunderstreak FGA.1 which served in Middle East Command from 1955, although with marginal thrust it was not really suited to the hot and dry conditions and was tied to runways of at least 7,000 foot length. Equipped with the ASSa.6 version of the Sapphire (rated at 8,300lbs thrust) the Thunderstreak also featured uprated outer wing weapon stations to carry standard 1,000lb bombs.

Another very early upload that I did back in 2008 and featuring a lovely Desert Camo skin by 'whiteknight06604'. Adding weapons in Series One games is a right PITA so I've chosen to use the 450-gallon tanks of the later F-105 Thunderchief and reckon they look pretty cool.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:24:32 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1829 on: March 04, 2018, 08:19:09 am »
Republic Aviation Thunderstreak FGA.2 - No.31 Squadron, Royal Air Force, South East Asia Command, 1959

Before the F-84F appeared in Strike Fighters there was a very good version of it produced by a group of modders called 'The Mirage Factory' and I've had a lot of fun with it over the Desert and over Vietnam but let's pretend the latter is Malaya so that it could take part in Operation Firedog! Anyway, this is a Greek SEA scheme by 'whiteknight06604' given the SEAC treatment with all new markings.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:23:45 am by SPINNERS »