Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Vultee P-34A at Pearl Harbor  (Read 859224 times)

Online SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1800 on: August 21, 2016, 10:34:26 am »
Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 - 420 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, 1953

Apologies for the number of screenshots but the Meteor is one of my absolute favourite aircraft and the Third Wire F.8 is an absolute beauty - especially in RAF Camo with maple leaves! I would have liked to confine the tail stripes to the rudder but the rudder is, of course, split and it's just not possible to decal the curved upper section so I've chosen the lower rudder as a datum and taken it straight up including the tail acorn fairing and the fixed part between the two halves of the rudder. In total, the tail stripes required 14 decals! Post-war RCAF markings are a minefield to navigate but I've found a website that gives me a few ground rules. I will definitely do a NMF version at some point in the future.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1801 on: August 22, 2016, 11:35:36 am »
Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8's - 420 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, 1952

Not much time tonight so I've cheated and used the same markings on the stock Third Wire NMF Meteor skin. I will try and do another NMF Mk.8 but with another squadron and take a look at some other Meteor versions after that.

Online SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - RCAF Meteors
« Reply #1802 on: August 22, 2016, 11:21:12 pm »
Just gorgeous. Love the formation shots with the two types ! So realistic.

:thumbsup:

If does look like it's from a 'Pictorial History of the RCAF' type book, especially in black and white.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1803 on: August 27, 2016, 02:14:31 am »
Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 - 421 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, 1954

This is the Iceland terrain from Strike Fighters 2:North Atlantic and the Meteor looks quite at home there!

Now available for download at Combat Ace!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:56:51 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1804 on: August 27, 2016, 09:51:18 am »
Canadair CL-13ME Sabre - Syrian Arab Air Force, 1954

A nice SAAF Sabre skin was released today by 'Strahi' over at Combat Ace and I've just added stock decals to it. I mainly like to use my own decals but sometimes using stock decals makes life easier especially on national insignia which are coded to change depending on the year you have selected.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1805 on: August 28, 2016, 08:26:06 am »
Westland Wyvern S.Mk.50 - 860 Squadron, Koninklijke Marine, 1957

The Westland Wyvern has been available for some time now but all the skins have the same camo and with painted on markings so until I make a template for it I'm a bit limited to what I can do with it. But, to make a start, I've overpainted the markings and added my own Koninklijke Marine markings. I now need to download the 'Carol Vorderman'  ;)

Albeit empty, that is the Karel Doorman in the background.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:33:33 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1806 on: August 29, 2016, 06:36:49 am »
Douglas F2D-1 Skystreak - VF 871, Royal Canadian Navy, 1949

A bit of a bonkers idea but go with it!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1807 on: September 03, 2016, 05:37:49 am »
Tupolev Tu-128 Fiddler-B - 921st Fighter Regiment, Vietnamese People's Air Force, 1972

Towards the end of 1972, the North Vietnamese air defences had almost exhausted their supply of surface-to-air missiles. Soviet intelligence agents duly reported this back to the Kremlin along with their secret report that President Richard Nixon was about to launch Operation Linebacker II - a planned massive bombing of Hanoi and Haiphong scheduled for late December 1972 in an attempt to drive North Vietnam back to the negotiating table. Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev informed North Vietnam leader Ton Duc Thang of this plan but Thang confessed that apart from a shortage of missiles the North Vietnamese Air Defence Network was already severely degraded by electronic countermeasures and other suppression measures and that the proposed US plan would almost certainly work.

Reluctantly, on November 30th, 1972, Brezhnev agreed to the transfer of more surface-to-air missiles to North Vietnam and also to the emergency transfer of 30 Tu-128 'Fiddler' interceptors in an attempt to counter the B-52's. With no hope of training North Vietnam personnel to fly and maintain this large, sophisticated interceptor Brezhnev agreed to send Soviet air and ground crews but naturally insisted that all Tu-128's flew in North Vietnamese colours. Arriving at the newly refurbished Thanh Hoá Air Base on December 8th, 1972 the aircraft flew just one mission on December 19th when four Tu-128's were effectively out-ranged and shot down by US Navy F-4J's firing AIM-7E-2 missiles forcing Brezhnev to reconsider and eventually withdraw the Tu-128's.

I've created this by a simple inversion of the silver skin with a 50% black layer to dampen things down and then adding the parts layer back in.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:41:31 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1808 on: September 03, 2016, 10:17:04 am »
Canadair CL-13ME Desert Sabre - No. 10 Squadron, Iraqi Air Force, 1964

I love this real world Argentinian Sabre camo and thought I'd use it on this Iraqi Sabre suggested by Geoff.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1809 on: September 04, 2016, 07:50:22 am »
Dassault Mystère IV - 18 Squadron, Iraqi Air Force, 1964

A fairly simple one as the stock Mystère IV silver skin is a cracker but I wanted to introduce a bit of colour and considered a coloured rudder but settled for a fictional 'nosebar' created out of me own head but using the Iraqi Air Force coat of arms with the centre modified and flanked with checkers.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1810 on: September 04, 2016, 12:22:35 pm »
Sud-Aviation Vautour IIA - 110 Squadron, Israeli Air Force, 1967

Another inverted stock silver skin with a 60% layer of black to dampen things down and with the parts added back in and just stock IDF decals after trying French markings first. The screenshots are then given a bluey-black layer (about 35%) to give a 'faux night' effect as screenshots at night really don't show up well. On previous Indian Vautours I separated the upper surfaces and I think an adaptation of this technique should yield me an early Canberra scheme, i.e. black with grey uppers, but that's for another day.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:27:34 pm by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1811 on: September 05, 2016, 07:00:29 am »
Sud-Aviation Vulture B.2 - No. 10 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, 1955

A bit trickier than I thought, and by no means perfect, this is the Vautour in RAF service as the Vulture B.2 and in the early Canberra scheme seen at Scampton in 1953.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1812 on: September 07, 2016, 07:00:19 am »
Bristol Vincentius B.2 - No.9 Squadron, No. 8 (Pathfinder Force) Group, RAF Bomber Command, 1956

I was hoping to do this handsome looking Soviet bomber in the early Canberra black and grey scheme but it just proved to be too difficult as I couldn't follow the mapping across several 'joints' so stopped once I'd done the black skin and simply added the decals I did many years ago for my 'Bomber Command' B-52K. If you search 'Vincentius' within this thread you'll see my earlier 'anti-flash white' B.1 and also my grey MR.3 versions.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #1813 on: September 10, 2016, 04:22:27 am »
Bugger!

I'm going to have to park this thread up for a wee while as my PC has gone t!ts up. I'm pretty sure it's the Graphics Card but it's had a few other niggles recently and it might just be on it's way to 'Silicon Heaven' (and I don't mean Katie Price's chest).

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Online SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Smoke me a kipper...
« Reply #1814 on: February 18, 2018, 03:33:36 am »

Good Morning

Well, didn't those past 18 months go quickly?

Guys, I didn't intend to be away for 18 days nevermind 18 months but my PC problems just caused me to stop and focus on some real life issues that I won't burden you with but let's just say that family, work and sports administration took precedence and I took up a new hobby researching my family tree. All in all, I guess I needed a break. Well, I never did get my PC repaired and gave my beautiful 26" Samsung monitor to my daughter who has an online shop and needed it more than me.

Then, about a week ago I saw the old flight sim 'IL-2' in a charity shop and an unexpected wave of nostalgia washed over me forcing me to leave a pound coin with the nice lady in the PDSA shop. It wouldn't run on my laptop so I picked up a second-hand monitor, dusted down my old Pentium 4 PC (running Windows XP) and fired up 'IL-2'. Well, it wasn't long before I realised why I binned 'IL-2' and started playing 'Strike Fighters' almost ten years ago to the day. I found my password for the Third Wire store and downloaded all four Series One games and bought the Wings Over Israel add-on expansion pack as a little thank you to the game developer.

Being on quite an elderly PC and therefore restricted to Series One means that I'm having to re-learn all those little hints and tips that I'd previously forgotten and I really am starting from scratch. I don't think I'll ever be quite as intense as I was before but I hope to contribute something here occasionally, perhaps weekly, and keep this ten-year old thread running. My sincere apologies to those who left messages here for me and my thanks for the nice comments that came in over the 18 months that I've been away.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:20:24 am by SPINNERS »