Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread

Started by SPINNERS, February 07, 2008, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPINNERS

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1R - HävLLv 31, Ilmavoimat, 1943

This Finnish Hurricane uses a 'what if' Soviet camo scheme (included in the Hercules Hurricane pack by 'Raven') with some yellow areas added by me and some Ilmavoimat markings. Well, it looks the part!

SPINNERS

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1R - No.4 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, 1943

A bit of a speed build as time is tight tonight. It's OK but I would have liked to refined it a bit more with red doped patches over the .303's and added a bit more white around the tail.

SPINNERS

Dornier P266 'Kobra' - JG3, Luftwaffe, 1948

This is the Yak-41 masquerading as the Dornier P266 'Kobra' in a Luft'48 type scenario. Similarly, stock Soviet AA-1 'Alkali' missiles masquerade as some sort of advanced Ruhrstahl X-4 wire guided air-to-air missile!

SPINNERS

Dassault Mirage 3Y - No.1 'White Rose' Squadron, Yorkshire Air Force, 1971

A little tribute to Yorkshire for looking so drop dead gorgeous in the Tour de France this weekend! Back in 2006 I did a three-day cycle tour of about 320 miles from my home in Port Talbot to visit my mum in Middlesbrough and the last day saw me ride through the Yorkshire Dales and I was amazed at the rounded greenness and tranquility of the scenery and these past two days brought back some pleasant memories. Anyway, this is the Aussie Mirage IIIO with some Yorkshire markings including a new 'nosebar' decal and using the Yorkshire Flag as the fin flash.

SPINNERS

Saunders-Roe Spectre B.2 - No.100 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command 1967

A cracking B-2A Spirit by 'Fast Cargo' was released recently and, whilst I don't really like the larger aircraft and I don't really like the 'glass cockpit' era either, it really is a superb 3D model and package that thoughtfully includes an excellent template plus all the modern weaponry carried by the B-2A. As soon as I made the anti-flash white skin and added V-Bomber roundels something seemed to shout 'Saunders-Roe' at me and I also wanted it to be pre-Strike Command. Perhaps Barnes Wallis came up with a stealthy design in 1957?!!

SPINNERS

Dassault Mirage IIIC -  Armée de l'Air, 1980

Thinks: A good basis for a 'Yellowjacks' Mirage!

SPINNERS

Lavochkin La-13 'Flute' - Soviet Air Force, 1949

During the Summer of 1945, and by Stalin's request, captured examples of the Dornier Do-335 Pfiel were flown back to the Central Institute of Aerodynamics (TsAGI) at the new Zhukovsky facility where it was decided to copy the basic design and allow the Lavochkin OKB to manufacture it for the Soviet Air Force. The Daimler-Benz DB 603A engines were replaced by two of the promising new Shvetsov ASh-94FN engines each rated at 1,850 hp and armament was changed to three of the outstanding 23 mm Nudelman-Suranov NS-23 cannons. Prototype testing was aided by using original Do-335 airframes with the new Shvetsov engines and the first all-new La-13's began to roll off the Lavochkin production line during the Spring of 1947 and entering service soon after. La-13's gained instant notoriety in August 1948 when they shot down four C-54 Skymasters which had strayed just outside the southern air corridor on their return to Rhein-Main Air Base.

A nicely revamped Do-335 was released this week and I've carefully overpainted the Luftwaffe markings and added stock Soviet insignia and numbers. The weather is completely controllable in Strike Fighters and for a change I've used an overcast day which is nice for 'above the clouds' shots.

SPINNERS

Dassault Mirage IIICS - F21, Flygvapnet, 1974

Why have I taken so long to do this one! There was actually a one-off Mirage IIICS supplied to the Swiss Air Force in 1962 for evaluation and test purposes before they decided to spend about three times as much on an advanced version of the IIIE.

SPINNERS

Dassault Mirage IIICS - F21, Fygvapnet, 1974

A few more shots showing the fictional Rb-23 missile (a license-built version of the Matra R-530) and the 500-litre supersonic tanks. For the Rb-23 I created a new skin for the stock R-530 missile and reckon it looks cool. However, it is still as useless as t!ts on a tomcat...  :lol:

SPINNERS

McDonnell Douglas F-4N Phantom - No.2 (Borough of Brooklyn) Squadron, New York Air Force, 1978

NYAFF-4NPHANTOM01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

NYAFF-4NPHANTOM02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

NYAFF-4NPHANTOM03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

This uses the stock F-4N 3D model with an adapted RAF F-4M skin (J79 nozzles pasted over the Speys and ECM fairings added) with some fictional 'New York Air Force' markings created by taking the colours off the New York flag (with the flag itself as a fin flash) and adding some 'Brooklyn' markings. I suppose another markings variant would be to simply create a New York starbar substituting red with orange (a real life nod to New York's Dutch origins) and I might do that one at another time and perhaps using another New York Borough. All this stems from watching a very poignant film called 'Extremely loud and incredibly close' which revolves around 9/11 but my interest is purely because of the playful reference to 'a missing sixth borough of New York'. I was tempted to designate this Phantom the F-4NY but that looks a little bit rude  ;)

SPINNERS

Convair F-106S 'Delta Dart' - F13 Flygvapnet, 1978

I was going to do a New York 'Six' tonight but, being a bit short of time, settled for a Swedish Six using the markings seen on my earlier splintered version. It would look better with black numbers but I've never really found the exact Swedish font so I'll find that and come back to it.

SPINNERS

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23S 'Fishfin' - Soviet Air Force, 1970

Not much time tonight as I wanted to catch up with Le Tour and watch the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony so I've just added some Soviet di-electric green to the nosecone and fin tip and added some basic markings including the 'award for excellence'. Mikoyan was doing a bit with delta wings so I've given it to him and used the MiG-23 designation as the real Flogger just never happened...

SPINNERS

Quote from: Jesse220 on July 21, 2014, 02:33:36 PM
Nice work buddy  :thumbsup: Can make a Iran airforce F-106s Delta Dart?

Convair F-106A Delta Dart - Imperial Iranian Air Force, 1971

It's a wee bit rough this one for whilst I've got a good basic template (for the standard USAF scheme) it doesn't show the meshes (parts) and with the rudder, elevons and canopy frame all being separated meshes I couldn't quite get them right and bailed out with the canopy frame. Still, if does look like a pre-revolution 'Six' and I wonder if the post-revolution Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force would have used them?

SPINNERS

Tachikawa Ki-217 'Spirited Tiger' - 56th Sentai, Imperial Japanese Army Air Force, 1948

I've put a few aircraft into IJAAF service (including the classic Spitfire and Hunter) and the MiG-17 gets the same treatment... well it would be rude not to. I've quite enjoyed doing this one even though it took a lot more trial and error than normal as it involved putting white fuselage and wing bands and 56th Sentai tail markings straight onto the skin and not by using decals (my usual method).

SPINNERS

Sukhoi Su-24 'Fencer' - 735th BAP, Soviet Air Force, 1986

Quite an easy one to do this thanks to an excellent template that fits short-wing and long-wing F-111's. I'm a bit short of modern Soviet weapons hence the 'training mission' look to the loadout although the last piccie looks a bit more serious!

Things will continue to be a bit slow around here for a while, I'm just enjoying a fantastic summer of sport... from the armchair of course!