Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Mitsubishi Ki-99 'Beryl'  (Read 860674 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1935 on: August 05, 2018, 10:45:15 am »
Sukhoi Su-39 'Frogfoot-B' - Vietnamese People's Air Force, 2016

I'm having a trawl through the SF1 archives (I can only run SF1 on XP) and re-discovered this lovely 'Super Grach' with an equally lovely Soviet camo to which I've just added some stock VPAF markings.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:32:03 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1936 on: August 10, 2018, 08:45:51 am »
BAC A-11B Strikemaster - 604th Special Operations Squadron, USAF, 1969

Whilst doing this one I had a nagging sense of déjà vu and only afterwards I realised that I'd done it before. Never mind. It was 2014 and I've passed a lot of water since then. I think I called it A-9B back then and did South Vietnamese and USAF versions.

Offline SPINNERS

Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #1937 on: August 11, 2018, 09:55:59 am »
Northrop F-5F Tiger II - 425 Tactical Fighter Squadron, 58th Tactical Fighter Wing, USAF, 1983

Because they had the T-38 Talon I thought that the USAF didn't buy any F-5F's but apparently they did, so I guess it's only the scheme that's a 'what if'.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1938 on: August 12, 2018, 07:37:35 am »
Soko G-4 Super Galeb - Irish Air Corps, 1988

This just needed some overspray over the painted-on Serbian finflash and a re-coloured rear fuselage from red to orange plus some new IAC roundels with orange at the bottom as that's what most photo's show.

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Marineflieger Panthers
« Reply #1939 on: August 14, 2018, 09:14:59 am »
Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm Panther - Marineflieger 1, Deutsche Marine, 2007

Formed as the result of several mergers in the late 1960's the German aerospace manufacturer Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB) became an integral part of the Panavia consortium designing and building the swing-wing Tornado for the air forces of Germany, Italy and the UK. But as early as 1975, MBB began to conduct research into the field of stealth aircraft and during 1981 MBB began developing a design for a viable stealth aircraft supported by funding from the German government. The resultant design was known as 'Project Lampyridae' (Firefly) and independently of American stealth research the Lampyridae used a similar 'faceted' design approach to Lockheed's 'Have Blue' technical demonstrator and the subsequent F-117 Nighthawk stealth attack aircraft. However, shortly after the existence of the Lampyridae project was revealed to the United States (during a technical exchange meeting at MBB's Ottobrunn facility in Bavaria in 1986) the Lampyridae project was suddenly terminated for unspecified reasons but diplomatic pressure on the part of the United States has long been assumed.

MBB's dissatisfaction with this decision was short-lived when they were unexpectedly given an invitation to participate in the Grumman X-29 Forward Swept Wing project. The X-29 was a project to design and test a forward-swept wing fighter with canard control surfaces and other innovative aircraft technologies such as the use of computerised fly-by-wire controls and the use of composite materials to control the aeroelastic divergent twisting experienced by forward-swept wings and to reduce weight. The first X-29 took to the air in 1984 and the two X-29s were flight tested during the remainder of the decade but whilst the programme was an overall success there was some disappointment that the X-29 did not demonstrate any noticeable  increase in agility - primarily due to the flight control system being moderated to prevent any excessive pitching rotation that could cause the aircraft from departing out of control and/or suffer structural damage. MBB could see that a combination of the stealth qualities of their Project Lampyridae allied to a forward swept-wing design but with larger control surfaces (and faster control surface actuators) would lead to an operational agile stealth fighter aircraft. In 1990, and with the backing of the German government, they launched 'Project Panther' to design and built a new multi-role stealth fighter for the German Air Force and Marineflieger with a projected in-service date of 2002.

Using the excuse of reunification costs Chancellor Helmut Kohl made an election promise to cancel the Eurofighter and in mid-1991 German Defence Minister Volker Rühe withdraw Germany from the Eurofighter project and quietly diverted Germany's Eurofighter funding into Project Panther. To avoid the problems associated with concurrently developing a new airframe and a new engine, MBB selected the logical off-the-peg choice of the General Electric F110-GE-132 afterburning turbofan rated at 17,000lbs dry thrust and 32,000lbs thrust with afterburner and the Panther's closely spaced twin engines incorporate MBB designed 2D pitch-axis thrust vectoring nozzles with a range of ±20 degrees. These engines give the Panther a thrust-to-weight ratio greater than unity when in a typical combat configuration and without external stores the aircraft can achieve 'supercruise' to about Mach 1.2 and exceed Mach 2.0 with afterburner.

Development moved swiftly during the mid-1990's and the first prototype 'Panther 01' (one of an eventual eleven engineering and manufacturing development aircraft) was unveiled at Ottobrunn, Bavaria on April 1st, 1998 taking to the air on August 15th, 1998 and appearing at the Farnborough air show during the following month where it appeared in the static park before making a low-speed flypast and departure on the final day. The first production contract was signed on January 2nd, 1999 for 170 Panther ADV aircraft (optimised for air defence) and 180 Panther IDS aircraft (optimsed for strike/attack) although differences between the two are confined to avionics and the two variants share virtually identical airframe and propulsion systems. In 2002, a major programme review saw a decrease in the overall number of aircraft to be procured from 350 to 280 and a multi-year procurement plan was implemented to stretch out production with an acceptable increase in the system unit cost (aircraft, training and spare parts) from €70 million per aircraft to €85 million per aircraft although this had further increased to €90 million per aircraft by 2005.

Entering service with Marineflieger 1 in 2006 the Panther currently serves with the German Air Force and Marineflieger and has been exported to Denmark, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates and is currently in the running to replace the Finnish Air Force's ageing F/A-18 Hornets in the so-called HX Fighter Programme with a decision now scheduled to take place in 2021.

This is the fictional KF-2 Hammer a very futuristic looking beast released quite a few years ago now and the very talented modder* really went to town with an 'arcade' flight performance that's right off the scale, an amazing 'glass' cockpit, a suite of stunning fictional weapons to fill it's internal weapons bays and several excellent skins. I've used a 'cut and shut' masking technique to combine elements of his black, gray and light grey skins to create this Tornado-ish Marineflieger skin and used new contemporary decals to complete the look. It really needs Kormorans under the wings but non-stock weapons are offline until I get back to SF2 later this year but this will give me a chance to come back to this one.

* Sadly, his name is not mentioned in the download.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:48:25 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1940 on: August 14, 2018, 11:09:32 am »
MBB Lampyridae

I thought I'd show a few piccies of the MBB Lampyridae referred to in my backstory for the MBB Panther. I have no problems naming this talented modder as it's my fellow South Walian 'russouk2004' who seems to be taking an extended break away from the Strike Fighters community. I hope he comes back some day!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1941 on: August 17, 2018, 11:36:45 am »
Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm Panther - Marinefliegergeschwader 2, 2009

I just love that retro MFG2 badge and seem to remember it being included in the Airfix MRCA in the late 1970's (the one that had loadouts never actually seen in service).

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1942 on: August 20, 2018, 07:07:47 am »
McDonnell Douglas F-15A 'Baz' - Aggressor Flight, 133 Squadron, Israeli Air Force, 1992

This 'Ferris' scheme for the F-15A Eagle was done many years ago by 'Sony Tuckson' (one of the stalwarts of a group of modders called 'The Mirage Factory') and released without markings of any kind so I've simply added the stock Israeli markings from the F-15A 'Baz' that's included in 'Wings Over Israel'. I first saw a 'Ferris' scheme in Scale Aircraft Modelling sometime in the early 1980's late 1970's and I thought it was the coolest scheme since seeing the Viggen in splinter camo in the early/mid 70's.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:45:16 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1943 on: August 20, 2018, 11:53:56 am »
Mikoyan MiG-21PFM 'Fishbed-F' - Ukrainian Aggressor Flight, 2002

I thought I'd try my hand at a 'Ferris' scheme and used the stock silver scheme which looks light grey when 'matted down' by screwing down the specular, glossiness and reflection settings and then I added a layer with black triangles and zig-zags but at 50% opacity to look like a medium-dark grey which allows the lines and rivets to still show through.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1944 on: August 21, 2018, 08:54:35 am »
Northrop Grumman F-37A Talon - 2nd Squadron, Belgian Air Component, 2009

Apart from Jessica Biel :wub: the F/A-37 Talon was the undoubted star of the 2005 film 'STEALTH' (a huge turkey and loss-maker) and the aircraft found it's way into 'Strike Fighters' almost immediately thanks to a very good 3D model by 'Zuranski' which featured the main engines and 28 additional scram jets! It flies like sh1t off a shiny shovel and I toned it right down to make it less arcade-y but still huge fun. This USAF SEA Camo skin was released by 'HrntFixr' back in the day and I've just oversprayed some painted-on markings and added Belgian decals.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:09:52 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1945 on: August 21, 2018, 12:30:46 pm »
Anderson Industries Talon Interceptor - Spectrum Air Corps, 2067

Fab. Groovy.

I've added a few more shots of the Spectrum Talon (and removed a couple) with the new piccies showing a revised 'A' decal on the tail with the 'A' given a fair bit of sweepback. I've also had a play around with the swing-wing settings getting it to fully deploy on the ground (before it was fully swept on the ground) and sweep forward at just below the speed of sound. I couldn't resist watching the film 'STEALTH' last night... Mach 4 my ar5e!!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:16:02 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1946 on: August 23, 2018, 08:47:57 am »
Ilyushin IL-109 Bronto - Soviet Air Force, 1989

Apparently, this is something out of 'Stargate' but I'm seeing it as the jet successor to the IL-2! You'll have to forgive the unfinished appearance as it's a 3D model virtually without a skin and, of course, there are no lines and rivets. I was hoping to use a nice camo pattern but there's absolutely no reference as to what the skin bitmap is called and I've even used the two main tools we have to open up the LOD (the 3D model) but no joy.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1947 on: August 24, 2018, 12:23:45 pm »
Sukhoi Su-61 'Bullfrog-C' - Soviet Air Force, 1990

Another one from 'Stargate' given the Spinners treatment but at least I could skin this one using a photograph of perforated stainless steel with a 50% opacity layer of black to flatten things down a bit. I was hoping to put another Soviet star in the area behind the cockpit but the 3D model has a little tear in it causing the decal to bleed through all over the rear so I've left it off. In the game you have a choice of guns ranging from Browning .303's right up to 125mm howitzers and I've chosen something Soviet at the bigger end... it's been huge fun in a Harry Callaghan kind of way!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:37:42 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1948 on: August 26, 2018, 05:03:56 am »
Gloster Garrison B.I - 101 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, 1937

In 1932, the Air Ministry issued Specification B.9/32 for a twin-engined day bomber with a challenging demand for "higher performance than any preceding bomber aircraft" and, among others, the Gloster Aviation Company responded with a mid-wing cantilever monoplane featuring all-metal stressed-skin construction, retractable landing gear, flaps, a powered dorsal gun turret, a ventral bomb bay and variable-pitch propellers. Like most of the companies tendering to B.9/32, Gloster's design featured the politically-favoured Rolls-Royce Goshawk 'evaporative' (steam cooled) engine but by the end of 1933 Gloster could see that the Goshawk engine would seriously degrade flight performance due to the larger then expected size of the condensors required to turn the steam vapour back into liquid.

Gloster's chief designer, Henry Folland, turned to his long-time friends at the Bristol Engine Company who were planning a new 14-cylinder twin-row sleeve valve radial engine as a development of their existing single-row Aquila engine by adding another row of cylinders and transforming it into the Bristol Taurus twin-row radial engine. With an anticipated power output of 1,000 hp and with very low weight, Folland quickly redesigned his bomber around two of the proposed Bristol Taurus engines and boldly reduced the crew from four to two by removing the defensive armanent and the bombardier's station. Folland briefed RAF and Air Ministry officials on his unarmed fast bomber and mainly due to the support of Edward Ellington, the Chief of the Air Staff, Folland was rewarded with a new Specification B.40/34 to cover his new design soon officially named as the Gloster Garrison. Ellington soon followed up this support with a production contract for 250 Gloster Garrison aircraft as part of 'Scheme F' an ambitious plan to increase the size of the Royal Air Force to 187 squadrons within three years to counter the threat from Hitler's Germany. Such was the dominance of "the bomber will always get through" strategy at the time that Ellington demanded five bomber squadrons for every two fighter squadrons and he saw that this unarmed fast bomber could play an important role in his expansion plans.

With development of the airframe running slightly ahead of the Taurus engine, all Garrison prototypes were powered by two 840 hp Bristol Mercury VIII radial piston engines and these were good enough to demonstrate the aircraft's performance and handling and also that the design was a good bombing platform. With continued delays in the development of Taurus engine the first production aircraft retained the Bristol Mercury VIII engines and following the completion of handling trials, conducted at the Central Flying School at Upavon in Wiltshire, the Garrison B.I entered RAF squadron service with No.49 Squadron at Scampton in August 1937 and No.101 Squadron at Bircham Newton in October 1937.

Can you guess what is masquerading as the pre-war Gloster Galliant Garrison?

Back story added.

It's been a while since I made a skin from scratch and this was quite an easy one though still time-consuming. This looks like someone has made the K-21 'Sally' and converted it into the Ki-57 but left the wing in the mid-fuselage position perhaps to make a quick stand-in or placeholder but at least it has a bomb bay that I've left restricted to 6 x 250lb-ers. The model could do with pilot seats but I like the overall shape and reckon it looks authentic as a pre-war RAF bomber. Perhaps the troublesome Taurus could power the B.II with an attack nose full of '303's or Hispano's?! I love the pre-war Nivo Green schemes and can remember painting my Frog Whitley in that scheme.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:19:52 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #1949 on: August 28, 2018, 04:11:14 am »
Northrop F-5AP Freedom Fighter - Combat Commander's School, Pakistan Air Force, 1971

The F-5A is well covered in 'Strike Fighters' (and the F-5E even more so) and even though this 3D model is from way back it really is a good one and encouraged modders to cover all F-5A users and this excellent skin by 'ravenclaw' just needed some overspray over the painted-on markings and I recoloured the previously black intakes. I made these decals for a real world PAF Mirage and have re-used them here. As I'm still on SF1 (and haven't bothered to master the weapons editor) I've had to use Hunter tanks and the Sidewinders are not quite aligned with their rails which I'll fix if I ever use this F-5A again.