Author Topic: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Smoke me a kipper...  (Read 713075 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 01:25:05 pm »
After the defection of Lt. No Kum-Sok with his MiG-15 in September 1953 Project Gunsight muscled in and by November 1953 had this MiG-15 transferred to the 44th AFS (Aggressor Fighter Squadron) at Ash Fork AFB where it flew alongside the Ouragans and Vampires.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 11:29:24 am »
More 1950's Aggressor shenanigans...

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 04:49:22 am »
With the US Government financing the Dassault Mystere IV via the Offshore Procurement Programme it was quite natural for a few examples to find their way to the 44th Aggressor Fighter Squadron where they made an excellent MiG-15 simulator.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 10:46:32 am »
South Africa became the first export customer for the Folland Gnat and received 60 examples in 1956 to replace Vampires and supplement the Sabre Mk6's.

No.1 squadron became the first South African unit to fly the Gnat and initially flew in a natural metal finish.

A No.1 squadron Gnat beats up the runway at Swartkop.

Camoflaged Gnats soon appeared and were better suited to SAAF operations.

South Africa, the world Rugby Union champions, played against Wales today at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. At one stage it looked as if it would be a record score to South Africa but Wales battled back and almost won it. Anyway, whilst watching the game I decided that it's about time I did something with South African markings on it.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 04:00:08 am »
Without being publicised, an undisclosed number of RF-101C Voodoos were passed onto South Africa in 1974 to equip a newly reformed No.11 squadron based alongside the Canberras of No.12 squadron at Waterkloof AFB. Little is known about the types usage by the SAAF other than several deployments to Grootfontein (now in the Republic of Namibia) during the mid-1970's Border Wars and the shooting down of two RF-101C's over Angola in early May 1978 - losses never officially confirmed by the South African government.

A No.31 squadron Voodoo RF-101C blasts off from Grootfontein (Namibia) - destination unknown.

May 1978 - Voodoos of No.31 squadron SAAF head out for the Angolan border on an early morning sortie.

A SAAF Voodoo is bounced by an Angolan Fitter-C.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:10:07 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 12:00:20 pm »
No.2 squadron of the Rhodesian Air Force operated the popular Macchi MB-326 for many years including some operations alongside their fierce rivals, No.1 squadron equipped with Hunters.

I've done a custom slanting fin flash for the MB-326H that matches the lines of the fin and rudder better than a plain old square. Good call on the Harrier Darren, I'll make it my last Rhodesian bird for the moment using the classic 1970's insignia.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 02:05:13 pm »
Hawker Harriers of No.6 squadron Rhodesian Air Force.

Harrier and Hunter - just how it should be!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:30:32 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:57 pm »
Even before the mass flypast of 48 MiG-19's at the 1955 Soviet Aviation Day at Tushino the introduction into service of this superb Soviet fighter aircraft had caused headaches for the USAF whose F-100 Super Sabre was going through massive teething problems. Colonel Irwin J. Reinhard and his team at Project Gunsight, based at Ash Fork AFB in North Arizona, were ahead of the game and had already secured funding for the purchase of 24 Dassault Super Mysteres from France to allow the 44th AFS (Aggressor Fighter Squadron) to more effectively simulate the MiG-19. Unfortunately the programme ran a bit behind schedule at the French end and the first Super Mysteres didn't arrive as Ash Fork until very late in 1958. Despite that they gave good service and remained in service until October 1973 with the last surviving 15 aircraft being transferred to the Israeli Air Force as attrition replacements following the Yom Kippur war.

Later on the Super Mystere's received Sidewinder acquisition rounds, despite the Aim-9B being a Navy programme.

In the mid-1970's some of the 44th AFS Super Mysteres adopted this camo scheme.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:43:33 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 10:28:43 pm »
A-10A Thunderbolts of the 10th Tactical Squadron of the Polish Air Force (Siły Powietrzne Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej)

Some 10th Tactical squadron A-10A's adopted ferocious looking shark-mouths - quite appropriate for a predator like the A-10A!

As previously mentioned, the Euro One camo is a stock skin in the game/sim and thoughtfully includes the shark-mouth variation. I've just oversprayed the nose 'flying-boom' receptacle markings and the slime lights on the tail fin (only because the tail fin markings were clashing with them). I knocked up post-1993 Polish Insignia decal and also made a circular 10th Tactical Squadron decal as well. The game/sim randomly generates the red Soviet style two-digit numbers for all 'red' aircraft so a simple edit gets those decals to show up. I'm not sure what numbering system the modern Polish Air Force actually use but having these is better than nothing.

And to finish off this mini Polish interlude a couple of Grey A-10A's;

Again, this is a stock skin from within the game/sim (the A-10A is only in 'Wings Over Europe').
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:29:26 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 07:09:34 am »

Unsuccessful 1962 McDonnell Aircraft Corp. sales pitch made to Canada.

Thankfully, in 'what-if' land we can make things right!

Last week the Wales v. South Africa rugby union international inspired me to look at some South African what if's. Last night Wales played Canada (and very plucky they were too) so that is going to be my inspiration for the weekend. Some nice leafy roundels from the 1950's and 1960's! Canada haven't half changed their insignia and markings over the years so please forgive me if I drop the occasional clanger...no change there then.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:21:17 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 09:52:13 am »
Thanks Guys. Of course, the Phantom's father was the amazing Voodoo - an impressive aircraft in terms of size and performance. Canada operated two seperate batches of the two-seat interceptor version (which will be released as an add-on aircraft soon I understand) but I'm what-iffing the single-seat F-101C as a Canadian Cold War bomber based in Europe.

This RCAF 433 squadron Voodoo is ready for instant action at a front-line NATO airbase.

Carrying a dummy Mk.84 2,000lb bomb this RCAF Voodoo gives RAF Bruggen an early morning wake-up call!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 02:11:50 pm »
Thanks Geoff. The last RCAF aircraft for tonight is the sexy Six;

The F-106A is a superb add-on aircraft for the game/sim and is available for download at CombatACE or Column5. It's a tricky beast to fly but such a good looking aeroplane! I haven't quite had time to do unit markings and my 'Royal Canadian Air Force' decal used on the Voodoo doesn't like the curves above the cheat line and the wasp waist of the F-106A.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 04:10:13 am »
F-86K Sabre Dogs of No.414 squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:30 am »
Breaking ranks with the other NATO countries (excepting the USA of course) Canada opted for the F-105 Thunderchief over the F-104 Starfighter. Thunderchiefs served with the Royal Canadian Air Force in Europe with No.423 squadron being the first to re-equip followed by No.433 squadron. Both squadrons were based at Grostenquin in France until 1967 when they moved to Zweibrücken before returning to Canada in 1970.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37:51 pm »
Thunderchiefs of No.76 squadron, Royal Australian Air Force.

The game/sim has Aussie roundels but they are a bit too dark for me so I've made some new ones and a matching fin flash and set them at 90% opacity which just makes them look a bit more painted on. I've used older serials (using A99 - a one-off Jet Provost in reality) indicating that Australia purchased the F-105 quite early on, perhaps having a few B's and C's before progressing to the early model D shown here. The fin badge for No.76 squadron is totally spurious althought there is a Black Panther on the real squadron badge.