Wah-66 Comanche Ah.1

Started by AeroplaneDriver, October 11, 2007, 07:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

The story of how the Comanche entered service with the British Army is in my build thread below.

This particular Comanche, ZX190 was delivered to the Army Air Corps in June 2009, entering service with 654 Squadron at Dishforth.  

The Comanche pilots expected to deploy to Afghanistan in short order, but world events led to a very different duty.  Backed by an increasingly beligerent Hugo Chavez in Venezuela and motivated by vast oil reserves surrounding the islands, Argentina began vigorously asserting its claim the the Islas Malvinas-the Falkland Islands.

To counter the Argentine threat Britain reinforced the island garrison with an additional 600 troops, additional artillery and armor, four additional Tornado F.3s,  6 Typhoon F.2s, and 6 Comanche AH.1s.

This Comanche iis caught on a low altitude patrol flight along the coast of West Falkland in October 2010.  It carries a typical light load of four Hellfire AGMs on the stub wings and two Stinger AAMs on the wingtips as well as 750 rounds for the 20mm cannon.  For this flight the internal weapons bays are fitted with fuel tanks, extending the endurance of the helicopter.

It's not my best build, but for a quickie build of a less-than-perfect kit I'm pretty happy with it.  

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

nev

what's that Kylie song?  "You did it again...."

B)

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

That is one seriously gorgeous looking build AD. Brilliant backstory as well.

Certainly looks better than that god awful Crapache!!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mike Wren

very nice, the Comanche looks so much better in flight - love the little detail of the rotated cannon turret  :wub:  

Captain Canada

Great work, Nick ! She does look good in flight, doesn't she ! I really like the pic from the side, shows off the beautiful lines of the bird.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout, right there, Ohhh yeah !"

Sorry, just slipped into some sort of street-speak for a moment, ahem....  Jolly fine model you have there Nick !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

That's brilliant  :wub:  I guess I'll hang on to the one I've got now, you've given me an idea.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian da Basher

That cannon is the bee's knees, AD! Excellent work!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

Well Done!  Nice and subtle like a WHIF should be.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

I'm really liking your in-flight representations - we need to see more like this.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dragon

QuoteBacked by an increasingly beligerent Hugo Chavez in Venezuela and motivated by vast oil reserves surrounding the islands, Argentina began vigorously asserting its claim the the Islas Malvinas-the Falkland Islands.

To counter the Argentine threat Britain reinforced the island garrison with an additional 600 troops, additional artillery and armor, four additional Tornado F.3s,  6 Typhoon F.2s,
Could still happen :angry: ...You'd better return that Crystal ball to its rightful owner before they get angry and turn you into a toad or something.   B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

BlackOps

She's a real looker that one is  :wub:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

McGreig

I've never been a great fan of wheels up models, but you're converting me - looks wonderful  :wub:  :wub: and I like the display method  :cheers:  

anthonyp

That's beautiful, AD!  Very nice!   :thumbsup:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

ysi_maniac

Beautiful, indeed.
I love Comanche
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.