Author Topic: Seen Over Your House Today  (Read 478095 times)

Offline TheChronicOne

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • -Sprues McDuck-
Re: Seen Over Your House Today
« Reply #5010 on: April 19, 2018, 07:05:32 pm »
The Herky Bird was back today and this time I was out on the North lot of the property mowing. Sucker came down real low and right over the house!! Turns out what I thought was a tail-code "L" was actually an "I" and the US flag was down at the bottom, making it look like an "L" from a distance.

I just went and had a quick look at USAF tail codes on Wiki and no "I" is even listed.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:   Sheesh. Is it some other branch? Is Wiki missing something? Not sure how many Navy or Marine Corps (are there any?  It's definitely not Fat Albert  ;D ) Hercs are flying and not sure why the hell they'd be here but I find it frustrating that I can't figure this out.  :angry: :rolleyes: ;D 
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline rickshaw

« Reply #5011 on: April 19, 2018, 07:16:39 pm »
Yup, that's them.  Also known as the 1st Credenhill Wolf Cub pack cos that's the village outside Hereford where they live.  They have another playground at Pontrilas just south of the city.

Ah, yes, "What's the difference between the Army and the Boy Scouts?  Answer - "The Boy Scouts have adult supervision!"  ;) ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Offline scooter

« Reply #5012 on: April 20, 2018, 03:30:58 am »
The Herky Bird was back today and this time I was out on the North lot of the property mowing. Sucker came down real low and right over the house!! Turns out what I thought was a tail-code "L" was actually an "I" and the US flag was down at the bottom, making it look like an "L" from a distance.

I just went and had a quick look at USAF tail codes on Wiki and no "I" is even listed.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:   Sheesh. Is it some other branch? Is Wiki missing something? Not sure how many Navy or Marine Corps (are there any?  It's definitely not Fat Albert  ;D ) Hercs are flying and not sure why the hell they'd be here but I find it frustrating that I can't figure this out.  :angry: :rolleyes: ;D

Use this pdf file.  Its from the Air University, so its (probably) current.  The only "I" codes are for the Air Guard- IA (132d FW, Des Moines ANGB), ID (124th WG, Boise ANGB), IL (182d AW, Peoria ANGB).  Herks are flown by the 124th and 182d.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline JayBee

• Won't go back to Hull again
  • What-IF SIG
  • "Aquilla non captat muskas"
« Reply #5013 on: April 20, 2018, 04:42:46 am »
I have just found out the identity of the two UH-60s that I reported yesterday.
They did land at Prestwick for a quick refuelling stop and departed, no idea where they were from or to.
However they were MH-60s of the Royal Australian Navy.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5014 on: April 20, 2018, 06:38:36 am »
They did land at Prestwick for a quick refuelling stop and departed, no idea where they were from or to.

Could be here with the Aussie P.M. for the Commonwealth Leaders bash ? Either that or they are very lost
Decals my @r$e!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #5015 on: April 20, 2018, 06:41:09 am »

Use this pdf file.  Its from the Air University, so its (probably) current.  The only "I" codes are for the Air Guard- IA (132d FW, Des Moines ANGB), ID (124th WG, Boise ANGB), IL (182d AW, Peoria ANGB).  Herks are flown by the 124th and 182d.

Nice! Thanks! I'll have to keep that handy. Same list as wiki though but much nicer. lol  Still, no stand-alone "I" even listed on there. This is what I find so frustrating. I can't even look it up because it's not listed where I'm looking. It would be like going to the auto parts store and you tell them you want an alternator for a Ford Taurus and they tell you no such car exists.  It's in the parking lot as we speak! Next time it flies by I'm going to try to look and see what branch it is. Navy has two entries for tail code "I" but says BOTH were changed to double character codes long ago.

I even found a thread that is specifically about C-130 tail codes and it's not listed there, either. This is going to become an obsession until I get it figured out. I don't suppose the "I" could be a "1" could it?! This doesn't even make sense. Why anyone would just slap a "1" where the tail code is supposed to be is beyond me but there has to be some reason this "I" code isn't listed anywhere..   ;D :o

http://www.c-130.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=51257&p=348377
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:44:33 am by TheChronicOne »
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline scooter

« Reply #5016 on: April 20, 2018, 06:48:18 am »

Nice! Thanks! I'll have to keep that handy. Same list as wiki though but much nicer. lol  Still, no stand-alone "I" even listed on there. This is what I find so frustrating. I can't even look it up because it's not listed where I'm looking. It would be like going to the auto parts store and you tell them you want an alternator for a Ford Taurus and they tell you no such car exists.  It's in the parking lot as we speak! Next time it flies by I'm going to try to look and see what branch it is. Navy has two entries for tail code "I" but says BOTH were changed to double character codes long ago.

I even found a thread that is specifically about C-130 tail codes and it's not listed there, either. This is going to become an obsession until I get it figured out. I don't suppose the "I" could be a "1" could it?! This doesn't even make sense. Why anyone would just slap a "1" where the tail code is supposed to be is beyond me but there has to be some reason this "I" code isn't listed anywhere..   ;D :o

http://www.c-130.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=51257&p=348377

Unless it was a big hi-viz orange one.  Then it'd be a MAFFS-equipped 130 firebomber.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #5017 on: April 20, 2018, 06:51:37 am »
Oh man, that would have been sweet!!  We did have fire bombers in the state yesterday but they were these little T-tail regional jet looking things. Should have kept those pictures....  :banghead: :banghead:

This one is just the overall dark grey lookin' stuff the military loves these days. So help me this is going to drive me nuts. I hope it comes back soon because I need a few more looks even if I have to break out my binoculars.  :rolleyes: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #5018 on: April 20, 2018, 08:40:36 am »

Could be here with the Aussie P.M. for the Commonwealth Leaders bash ? Either that or they are very lost

Probably the latter ... That or they're based in the Persian Gulf & ran out of Scotch in the Ward Room. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline zenrat

• Not on the rug, man!
« Reply #5019 on: April 23, 2018, 03:56:40 am »
Yesterday heard an interesting engine noise and looking up saw a yellow radial engined biplane with black cowling and rudder flying with a dark radial engined low wing monoplane. following closely behind it (Mrs z said "the yellow one is towing the other one".  I said "yes, it's an RACV breakdown plane").
They didn't come close enough for me to get a good captain's at them but I would guess a Stearman and either a Harvard or a Wirraway.
Fred

Let's make Victoria great again.

Another ill conceived, poorly thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IMELBOUR261

Offline JayBee

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #5020 on: April 23, 2018, 05:34:28 am »
A couple of hours ago two British Army AH-64s came over from the SW heading in to Prestwick, then they have just gone back the way they came.

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #5021 on: April 23, 2018, 06:00:47 am »
We did have fire bombers in the state yesterday but they were these little T-tail regional jet looking things.

Like this one Brad ?

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5022 on: April 23, 2018, 07:16:14 am »
A couple of hours ago two British Army AH-64s came over from the SW heading in to Prestwick, then they have just gone back the way they came.

Old Firm derby next week ?  :angel:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #5023 on: April 23, 2018, 11:58:00 am »
We did have fire bombers in the state yesterday but they were these little T-tail regional jet looking things.

Like this one Brad ?

Indeed! Paint job and everything looks right.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline JayBee

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #5024 on: April 23, 2018, 01:45:24 pm »
The MH-60s and AH-64s that I have previously mentioned are in this area for Joint Warrior 2018.
This exercise is normally held in the autumn, but this year is being held in the spring due to other exercises elsewhere in the world later in the year.