Author Topic: Seen Over Your House Today  (Read 361356 times)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Seen Over Your House Today
« Reply #4890 on: October 01, 2017, 12:39:58 am »
It must have taken a wrong turning somewhere, YYC's a LONG way from the Antarctic.  ;D ;)
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #4891 on: October 01, 2017, 01:29:37 am »
It must have taken a wrong turning somewhere, YYC's a LONG way from the Antarctic.  ;D ;)

;D ;D ;D

My thoughts were along the same lines Kit, 'what was he doing here'. Anyway it wasn't as shiny as in the pic I linked above, very flat deep red with flat black wings.

Also watched the Kenn Borek Air Basler BT67 coming and going all day. It taxied past my post four or five times through the day too.

This one;

https://img.planespotters.net/photo/395000/original/c-gjkb-kenn-borek-air-basler-bt-67_PlanespottersNet_395301.jpg
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline perttime

« Reply #4892 on: October 01, 2017, 03:25:42 am »
'what was he doing here'.

Looks like they head north for the Antarctic winter
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7328205

Flight Radar shows a flight from North Bay to Calgary on 30 September.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vp-fbq#f0db16d

Offline JayBee

• Won't go back to Hull again
  • What-IF SIG
  • "Aquilla non captat muskas"
« Reply #4893 on: October 06, 2017, 02:42:56 am »
Yesterday, two Super Tucanos broke into the circuit here at Prestwick giving me a nice view out of the kitchen window.
It has taken till to-day to find out who's they were. They are on delivery to the Lebanese Air Force.

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/972001/15-2021-unknown-embraer-emb-314-super-tucano-a-29a/

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #4894 on: October 06, 2017, 03:51:50 am »
Started my 'D' driver training for the airport proper this week, where part of the course is to know who operates out of which apron. Which meant a visit to where Kenn Borek Air is (airside). I got to find out I've been seeing two Kenn Borek Baslers. Plus there's two others, one is a Chinair operated one. It had a Canadian registration, so might explain why it's here.

Yesterday while waiting for my instructor, a BAe CT-155 roared off 17R. Then I saw a line up of six CL-215's waiting for their servicing. Which is part of Viking's job now they have all the rights to them. A Gulfstream 1 I found out is being used by SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) for training. Real nice looking aircraft they are, wish there was a 1/72 kit of it -----

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #4895 on: October 06, 2017, 04:26:22 am »
Yesterday, two Super Tucanos broke into the circuit here at Prestwick giving me a nice view out of the kitchen window.
It has taken till to-day to find out who's they were. They are on delivery to the Lebanese Air Force.

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/972001/15-2021-unknown-embraer-emb-314-super-tucano-a-29a/

Why does it say 'USAF' on the fin if it's Lebanese?

A Gulfstream 1 I found out is being used by SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) for training. Real nice looking aircraft they are, wish there was a 1/72 kit of it -----

The Gulfstream I is the turbo-prop version, isn't it? I thought Welsh Models did one, very early in his 1/72 range, but it would have been ages ago.

Regards
Kit

Offline JayBee

• Won't go back to Hull again
  • What-IF SIG
  • "Aquilla non captat muskas"
« Reply #4896 on: October 06, 2017, 04:38:20 am »

Why does it say 'USAF' on the fin if it's Lebanese?

The aircraft have been bought under the umbrella of the USAF and until they are formally accepted by the "customer" they remain USAF property.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #4897 on: October 06, 2017, 04:43:39 am »
A bit like Lend/lease then?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #4898 on: October 06, 2017, 07:05:29 pm »

A Gulfstream 1 I found out is being used by SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) for training. Real nice looking aircraft they are, wish there was a 1/72 kit of it -----

The Gulfstream I is the turbo-prop version, isn't it? I thought Welsh Models did one, very early in his 1/72 range, but it would have been ages ago.

Yes that's right Kit, it looks like a half-scale Andover, especially the engine nacelle shape which are almost identical in looks.

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #4899 on: October 09, 2017, 05:50:27 am »
We went to the London Airshow two weeks back. No C-17 thee as they wee helping with Hurricane relief. Sat on my porch later that evening and one flew over and made up for it.

Then another KC-135.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #4900 on: October 12, 2017, 03:08:58 am »
Nice grabs!!

Saw a couple jets flying the other day... in a follow the leader type of pattern.. couldnt' tell what they were... perhaps T-38s or a couple of small liaison craft?

Goodyear blimp will be here starting the 15th... going to try to get some grabs of that... should be easy, the Goodyear plant is just a mile away from my contract property.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #4901 on: October 18, 2017, 02:57:16 am »
On Tuesday, I saw my first Boeing 737-8 Max. It was in WestJet colours and at Gate 13. There's a few things that are visibly different, first of course are the scalloped trailing edges of the engine nacelles, but then I noticed that the wingtip fins are quite different and then I noticed that Boeing has re-profiled the extreme rear end of the fuselage. Gone is the traditional APU exhaust shape, it now looks like the rear end of an Embraer 170 series.

On Friday, on Apron 9 where I was working, there was a Airbus Voyager KC2 on the ramp. About an hour after I got there, a convoy of Greyhound type buses came onto the ramp and off-loaded about 250-300 troops. After it had gone almost an hour later another pulled up into the same spot. No troops got off though so I guess the Brit Army training season is over for this year and the troops are all going home. Later in the day, two Bell Griffons flew right over me in formation.

Sunday at the same location, had a Cargolux 747 pull up onto the ramp right behind my spot I had been assigned too. It just loomed up in the mirrors and in the end all I could see was the nose u/c gear it was that close.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #4902 on: October 18, 2017, 03:06:53 am »

Sunday at the same location, had a Cargolux 747 pull up onto the ramp right behind my spot I had been assigned too. It just loomed up in the mirrors and in the end all I could see was the nose u/c gear it was that close.

Good thing he stopped in time!

'Excuse me, can I see your insurance certificate for that aeroplane please?'  ;D

Regards
Kit

Offline scooter

« Reply #4903 on: October 18, 2017, 03:23:12 am »

Had something similar way back when I was in Iceland.  It was a dark night (typical in the winter for there ;D), the normal blue-fleet pickup truck assigned to our post at the end of RWY 11 was in maintenance, so we had a Peacekeeper that night...with a pair of big yellow beacons on the roof.  As we started pulling away from the alert aircraft area, it suddenly got really bright, as the cab of the armored truck was filled with light.  I climbed in the back, and told my team chief that we were being followed by a Nimrod...who had mistaken us for the "Follow Me" truck.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4904 on: October 18, 2017, 06:01:11 am »
I climbed in the back, and told my team chief that we were being followed by a Nimrod...who had mistaken us for the "Follow Me" truck.

I bet that cost them a few drinks latter  ;D ;D
Decals my @r$e!