Tucara: Tutor Plus Pucara

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 01, 2007, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Yesterday, I happened to have my 1:48 Tutor box in front of my screen and I had recently changed my PC wallpaper to a couple of Pucaras in flight.

Had a mild epiphany (or was it just NYE flatulence?) and thought of combining the two.  Will turn the Tutor into a twin-turboprop-engined side-by-side variant of the Pucara which I will call "Tucara" (which I believe means "grasshopper" in Argentina, of all places).

Am going to keep it as a COIN bird, turning the Tutor's intakes into cannon pods.
I've even picked out the engine nacelles that I hope will work for the wing-top mounted turboprops.  Will use long landing gear struts and doubled mainwheels just like the Pucara, too.  Will probably keep the T-Tail, too   ;)

My first new craziness of 2007!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

Cool idea...looking forward to the surgery!

B777LR

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  2 vulcans blazing away at the challenger 2 tanks, defending the falklands!  

John Howling Mouse

"Holy parallax, Batman!"

Sorry, just couldn't resist.  Now, back to hacking the model to bits.

cthulhu77

Nice pic, but where is the missus?  :D  

Roger the Cabin Boy

I've been doing some fairly serious research on the Puca over the past three or four years with my friend down in Buenos Aires.  (Admittedly it goes in fits and starts, but it's getting there).  Plan is for a book to be done by Mushroom.

Anyway, FMA did produce drawings of a bizjet derivative with Garrett podded jets scabbed on the mid-upper fuselage, and uc in the usual position in stubbed fairings, A-10 style where the prop engines used to be.  Just graft a HS125 on the front, or something like that Hunter bizet, and you have the idea.

There's a huge whatif potential on this type which is (naturally) explored in the text, mainly revolving around various dodgy thrid world tinpot dictatorships who expressed more than a passing interest in buying a few.

I can supply info in exchange for profiles! I do have accurate outline drawings here...

So a Tucara wouldn't be that way out.  Go for it!

:ar:  
The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

John Howling Mouse

Sounds cool, Roger.  Now, somebody get this man some profiles!

Initial mock-up, while needing a lot of work, shows some promise.  Tailfins have been cut off.  They will be replaced with scratchbuilt (longer chord/taller) version.

Inverted engine nacelles from a 1:72 Matchbox Mossie.

Trying to elongate the tail with a cut-off from ordnance.  Prop blades will be modified from couple of Tamiya Raiden kits (which will in turn be turned into jets). Prop-spinner-cones will come from F-84F fueltank cut-offs.

The wings will be altered quite a bit yet: wider chord, longer wingspan, and will have the distinctive dihedral bend that the Pucara has.

Need to put something suitable under the wings/engine nacelles to form the wheel wells like on the Pucara.

Lots of work ahead.  But I have a paint scheme in mind and that will keep me going.

retro_seventies

here we go again!  :wub:  :wub:

looking forward to this very much baz, coin aircraft really get the blood pumping in this house!  :cheers:  :cheers:

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Svaz

ahh, the master plastic smith at work again ...  B)  
Someday, I'll even finish a model ...

K5054NZ

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNT!!!!!!

I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE!

So, in what country's markings will honey this be? :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  B)  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

B777LR

Canada of course  :zzz:  with spats and T-tail :ph34r:  

Dork the kit slayer

....do you ever wonder why your washing blows away????? :o  :o

Looking forward to the build. :cheers:  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Ollie

Looking good Barry, I'd lengthen the fuselage, but that's just me!

;)  :wub:  :wub:  :cheers:  :cheers:  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteLooking good Barry, I'd lengthen the fuselage, but that's just me!
Thanks, fellas.

Yes, Ollie hit the nail on the head.  As noted, I plan to lengthen the tail by about 4 scale feet but it would look more believable if I could lengthen the entire fuselage.

Unfortunately, there is no way to insert a simple plug to extend a tapered shape (unless you're willing to suddenly have an inappropriate "flat/parallel" part) and I do not know how to otherwise extend a tapered shape unless one completely rebuilds an entirely new fuselage.

Ideas???  Tips???

Rafael

Barry, my man, you are sure creating a masterpiece here!!!!!

Bravísimooooo!!!![/size]

I've been out of town the last 5 days, I can't wait to get back home to see what's happened at whif. meanwhile:

Feliz Año Nuevo a Todos!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER