Author Topic: Revell (Revell of Germany and Monogram)  (Read 237766 times)

Online Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
Re: Revell (Revell of Germany and Monogram)
« Reply #1650 on: January 11, 2019, 04:19:06 pm »
"Wilber- Claw"? ?   Would be my guess.   "Arkansas" is funny.. I used to ridicule the name until I learned that it has something to do with French so it made more sense all of a sudden.  ;D Been there many times, some parts are really nice!

Oooh, VERY good guess! it's actually "Will-burr-cloo"... ;D
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #1651 on: January 11, 2019, 04:50:08 pm »
Yay!!  ;D

I should have known, though....it's like "slough."   :banghead: :lol:   :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Online Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
« Reply #1652 on: January 11, 2019, 05:25:10 pm »
Yay!!  ;D

I should have known, though....it's like "slough."   :banghead: :lol:   :thumbsup:

Yeah, 'ough' seems to be from an ancient Britonian root meaning "make any damn sound you like at this point"...
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #1653 on: January 11, 2019, 05:28:59 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #1654 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:58 pm »
Referencing P'Terry again, the story I heard was that the Aboriginal for "I don't know" is how the Kangaroo got it's name...
and are there actually any places that are the Native for "Your Finger, You Fool"??  ;D

"I'll take 'Colonial Powers That Never Bothered To Learn The Local Language' for $400, please, Alex."

Offline joncarrfarrelly

• Bertie Bassett
  • What-IF SIG
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #1655 on: January 11, 2019, 08:36:57 pm »

We have it BAD here in Oklahoma. There are TONS of names of places around here that are American Indian... lots of places named for Natives; everything from shops, stores, road names, actual rezzes, towns and cities, you name it and you can always tell when a new news reporter from out of state moves in.

Ditto up here in the PNW/BC lots of Coast Salish derived names, as you go north up the BC coast towards
Alaska you get into Kwakiutl (Kwakwaka'wakw) and Tlingit names, BTW neither of those are pronounced
as they're spelt.
 ;D
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Zac Attack is Back!
  • aka K5054NZ, proud Whiffer since 2005
    • Zac on Facebook
« Reply #1656 on: January 11, 2019, 09:34:17 pm »
I haven't found as much Revell news and discussion as I was expecting!

And come on. Worcestershire's pronunciation is ridiculous. But try living in a country with two very different official languages, with place names about evenly distributed between the two lingos!
I find it very hard to believe Academy would make a mistake like that he said sarcastically...

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #1657 on: January 11, 2019, 11:33:45 pm »
I haven't found as much Revell news and discussion as I was expecting!

And come on. Worcestershire's pronunciation is ridiculous. But try living in a country with two very different official languages, with place names about evenly distributed between the two lingos!

And regional pronunciation as well, despite what the 'Official Line' says... :banghead:

Offline zenrat

• What Would Deadpool Do?
« Reply #1658 on: January 12, 2019, 12:27:30 am »
Yay!!  ;D

Because it amuses me to do so I always have and always will pronounce that place Sluf.

The "rule" for Australian place names is pronounce them as they are spelt (more or less).
And never assume that because an Australian place has the same name as somewhere in the UK that name is pronounced the same.
Launceston in Tasmania is not pronounced Lorn-stn and Eltham in Victoria is not El-tm.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • bashes kits
« Reply #1659 on: January 12, 2019, 12:42:37 am »
 Ot quite a pronunciation thing but the BC/Alaska name reference reminded me of Cape Breton NS.  Road signs will always carry English but I recall that being backed up with all manner of combinations of French, Gaelic and Mi'kmaq (local First Nations people).
IPMS What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Arrow, Beaumaris, Battle, Bronco GA.1, Buzzard II, CASA 2.217, Corsair GR.1, EE P12, Hawker P1067, Hellcat IV, Ice Cream Tank, JP T4, Jumo MiG-15, Macchi MC.205, Meteor F.8R, Phantom FG1, Sea Hawk T7, Spitfire XII, Ta154, Val, Wellington.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #1660 on: January 12, 2019, 01:28:41 am »
I always used to get angry driving in Wales at the amount of money wasted on bilingual road signs.  If the places they refer to are in Wales then why not just put them in Welsh and be done with it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline Hobbes

• Stores peanuts in his mailbox
  • What-IF SIG
    • Acme Engineering
« Reply #1661 on: January 12, 2019, 02:20:55 am »
Because lots of people refer to Welsh towns by their English names? Welsh is pretty much impossible to decode for outsiders, "Abertawe" has nothing in common with "Swansea".

I took a holiday in Wales once. The roads signs are bewildering, and I was very glad to have a satnav with me.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1662 on: January 12, 2019, 02:31:26 am »
I always used to get angry driving in Wales at the amount of money wasted on bilingual road signs.  If the places they refer to are in Wales then why not just put them in Welsh and be done with it.

I swear in parts of the country near the English border that they have had to make them up. That was definately the case around the BS Shotton works which was really part of Cheshire with a lot of the work force coming from Merseyside and sounding like it  ;) I have never seen a town where so much of the population walked around wearing England football shirts  :angel:

If it keeps on going this way perhaps I should start a petition to have London place names signed in English and Cockney ?  ;)
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

« Reply #1663 on: January 12, 2019, 02:32:15 am »
Oh everyone would get used to the Welsh names after a few hundred years or so...
 ;D
Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1664 on: January 12, 2019, 02:49:49 am »
Oh everyone would get used to the Welsh names after a few hundred years or so...
 ;D

Yea  :banghead: Croydon was still referred to as Croydene and before that Crogdene until a hundred and fifty years or so ago. Both derived from the Anglo Saxon. Flippin Victorian's changed everything  ;D
Decals my @r$e!